Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
hell I have a 93 bronco that would tell me about oil being low.
Do you mean a member of the 1993 Denver Broncos rode around with you and checked your oil? Because the 1993 Ford Bronco wasn't equipped with an oil level sensor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Are there cars being made today that have oil sensors that tell you if you are getting low before it could cause damage? I can think of numerous ways it could be done without causing a major increase in cost. If you were offered an option on a car that would tell you of a problem before it could cause damage, while being told that without it you could have to replace an engine costing a few thousand, how much would you be willing to pay for the option?

Old 08-25-2012, 12:46 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Sounds like the real issue here is techs that don't know how to install a filter properly. They're probably not oiling the gasket and/or overtightening it.
On the Rav 4 there is a plastic washer on the drain bolt, and a large O-ring on the cartridge's aluminum housing. The there is another O-ring on the cartridge.

More than likely they didn't put an O-ring on the housing, or forgot to remove the old O-ring and had two, one on top of each other. I would never take my car to one of the quick-lube places. It's asking for trouble
The same when replacing the filter cartridge on a Subaru Forester. One has to carefully follow the instructions to make sure that one of the old O-rings is not left behind, because two O-rings on top of each other create an oil leak.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I've owned cars for 15 years, I never have had to check levels of anything. They have always told me when things need to be taken care of. I would expect the Rav4 to do the same.

hell I have a 93 bronco that would tell me about oil being low.
I have owned cars and trucks for a lot longer than you, and never had one that told me when the oil was low. maybe you are referring to some Honda generators that shut the motor down when the oil is low?

Again, don't you even read the owner's manual?

Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
The point is, technology and engineering has progressed to the point where you shouldn't have to waste time on that stuff.
As long as lubricants and other fluids are used on the motor, the manual will always tell you to periodically check these fluids. The warning lights are usually called "idiot" lights for a good reason. But you should always periodically check tire pressure and all engine fluids before driving your car. This only makes sense, and there is not one car out there, one with a motor that uses oil, that has a manual where its said that you should not check the engine oil.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:44 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I have owned cars and trucks for a lot longer than you, and never had one that told me when the oil was low. maybe you are referring to some Honda generators that shut the motor down when the oil is low?

Again, don't you even read the owner's manual?
My last two cars, a lexus and a camaro, they both have "low oil" lights. The camaro one came on all the time because for some reason it liked to drink oil.

I've never seen the lexus one, but I know it's there.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:31 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
It disappoints me greatly that most of the car manufacturers have treated their customers so poorly that the have not all devised an oil "low" warning system on the cars they sell. What does that say about their attitudes toward us? They obviously think we are idiots for continuing to buy their junk, while those that are aware think it is the manufacturers that are the idiots.

Technology has advanced so far, yet they will hold back on just about anything that is good for the consumer just to make more profit.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:36 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
It disappoints me greatly that most of the car manufacturers have treated their customers so poorly that the have not all devised an oil "low" warning system on the cars they sell. What does that say about their attitudes toward us? They obviously think we are idiots for continuing to buy their junk, while those that are aware think it is the manufacturers that are the idiots.

Technology has advanced so far, yet they will hold back on just about anything that is good for the consumer just to make more profit.
Actually they think we're smart enough to pull the dipstick and check the oil once in awhile.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Checking the oil gives me something to do while my wife is in the ladies' room.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:59 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Checking the oil gives me something to do while my wife is in the ladies' room.
That sounds inappropriate ....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive