Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:09 AM

408 posts, read 997,033 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that the North American market (excluding Mexico occasionally) has a limited selection of diverse cars. We hear of our global neighbors driving such varied options, though this can also be the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality too. I wanted to turn the tables, and ask the audience if you know of any USA/North America-specific models or vehicles that cannot be found abroad (or in small quantities)?

I read that the Toyota FJ Cruiser is such a vehicle, though it has been sold globally in small quantities like Japan, Australia, and New Zealand. I hesitate to list vehicles that have shared platforms (certain Suzukis are the biggest one I can think of) since they can be found elsewhere in a different disguise. So, to find a country-specific car would be quite difficult I admit.

What are your experiences? Would love to know if we have any "special" models or if we really do have a limited market, despite its size (seems so).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 05:24 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Chevy Avalanche

Old 08-31-2012, 05:38 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Pontiac Azteck?

Old 08-31-2012, 06:36 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
Lincolns are only sold in North America and the Middle East

Scions are only sold in the US and Canada

Buicks are only sold in US, Canada, Mexico, China, Taiwain, and Israel

Up until this model year, the Chevy Malibu was North America only

Old 08-31-2012, 06:36 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times
I've read that Nissan's US sedan models are unique to North America? Cars like Altima/Maxima.
In the rest of the world they sell cars like the Micra.

Can someone confirm if these cars are sold anywhere other than in North America ?
Ford Taurus
All Lincoln models
Chevrolet Impala
Chevrolet Malibu
Chrysler 200
Ford Flex
Ford Expedition
Chevrolet Traverse and Equinox
Ford Fusion (North and South Americas only)

Till a few years back, there were a whole lot of other 'unique' models available in North America including:
All Oldsmobiles
All Mercurys
All Plymouths
All Pontiacs
All Lincolns
Full-size Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, etc.

Last edited by asubram3; 08-31-2012 at 06:44 AM..

Old 08-31-2012, 06:59 AM

881 posts, read 2,091,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
It seems to me that the North American market (excluding Mexico occasionally) has a limited selection of diverse cars. We hear of our global neighbors driving such varied options, though this can also be the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality too.
This. No offense, but I'm guessing you don't get over on the other side of the pond often. Reality is that while the most common vehicles there tend to be uncommon here, and are just as boring after a while. How many Golfs, Polos, Renaults, and more (mostly hatches, BTW) can one see in one day? FWIW, I have tried to spot the NA models at times - there aren't a lot of Camrys, Accords, or other domestic sedans, and of course there are very few SUVs and Pickups.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:12 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Can someone confirm if these cars are sold anywhere other than in North America ?
For GM products you'd need to either look at EU site for Isuzu or look up UMI which is the GM of the Middle East.

For example a Chevy Colorado is a Isuzu Dmax. The only differences is a much better suspension and a diesel engine thats extremely quiet.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:49 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
I bet a lot of cars are rebadged. I've rented cars in Central American countries and I've gotten rebadged (I think) Sentra's, Corrolla's and others. Not sure why its done, but I imagine there are some domestic cars running around Europe and elsewhere under a different model, or even make.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
Fullsize Pickups are generally not avaliable in Europe (unless non official imports). I guess there are no Rams etc. in most parts of Asia as well?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:21 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Some are rebadged; I drove a Ford Mondeo and the thing is just like a Fusion to me (to find out later), maybe it is or is not, but I could not tell, this was before the Fusion came out in the US.

I have traveled many places and lived overseas for years, and I have only one time ever saw a US pick-up truck; a mid-90's f-350 dually, all fixed up and pulling a horse trailer in the UK. I have seen lots of the older muscle cars from the 60's, I saw an entire parade of them in a large town in Sweden once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive