Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,050,284 times

Advertisements

If you do, then buy a RAV4. The company I work for started using RAV4s for company vehicles. They also make us service them regularly, using fast lube companies. They all make mistakes like not tightening the drain plug enough or mcrimping the seal on the filter, but that shouldn't result in a damaged engine if the oil pressure light comes on and you stop running the engine right away. Unfortunately, two of us in the same local area have had problems due to the fast lube joints around here as I described above and both resulted in engines that ran with almost no oil in it because the oil pressure light never came on.

My car is in the shop right now. They called me to let me know it was the fast lube joint crimping the seal on the filter and that it would be ready later today. I asked about the oil pressure light and he didn't have an answer. I told him to keep the car there until he had an answer. (my company is renting a Ford Flex that I am driving for now - viva la difference!).

Has anybody else seen this on a 2012 RAV4? While your at it has anybody that owns a 2012 RAV4 opened a window and closed the door? Talk about cheap construction! I drove a Grand Caravan for the last company vehicle. Much more side surface are, but when I drive across the Bay Bridge with a cross wind in the RAV4 I have to keep both hands on the wheel for sure.

I used to think Toyota made good cars. Not anymore. Something has changed at Toyota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 08:48 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,169,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat
Do you like to check oil?

I don't mind checking the oil on our two Caravans, but not on my 1990 Dodge pickup. The dipstick is down behind the AC compressor and kind of hard to get to, plus you have to put it in at exactly the right angle or it won't go in all the way.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't mind checking the oil on our two Caravans, but not on my 1990 Dodge pickup. The dipstick is down behind the AC compressor and kind of hard to get to, plus you have to put it in at exactly the right angle or it won't go in all the way.
Do you know if the oil pressure light will work? If it doesn't (by poor design?), you need to check it every time you before you drive off. Otherwise you can destroy your engine. Think the manufacturer will warranty your engine if the oil pressure light fails and you drive it dry? Only if you can prove the oil pressure light is a design defect. Does the average consumer have the ability to prove it? Who's mercy are we at?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:24 AM

609 posts, read 2,236,124 times
I have generally preferred Honda engineering to Toyota's but for some reason I can't quantify it.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Do you know if the oil pressure light will work? If it doesn't (by poor design?), you need to check it every time you before you drive off. Otherwise you can destroy your engine.
Low oil pressure is usually the result of worn bearings, a worn oil pump, or a blocked internal passage. It doesn't have anything to do with the amount of oil in the pan. Unless the oil gets so low that the level is below the oil pickup tube. On most vehicles you'd have to be down to about a quart of oil in the pan before this happens.

Bottom line: The only way to make sure that your oil level doesn't get too low is to check it frequently. If you wait until the light comes on it's probably too late.

Quote:
Think the manufacturer will warranty your engine if the oil pressure light fails and you drive it dry?
Our newest vehicle is a 2004. I seriously doubt that the manufacturer will warranty anything for any reason at this point.

That being said, once again don't rely on the oil pressure light, it's not designed to come on when you're low on oil.

Quote:
Who's mercy are we at?
I believe we're at God's mercy, but I realize that not everyone thinks this way.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:42 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,835,993 times
Rented a 2011 Rav4 for a week and put 1k miles on it. What a POS interior, couldn't wait to get back into my Kia Optima (was getting fixed for hail damage).

Old 08-24-2012, 09:49 AM

The valves(?) were screaming. I had never heard it before. How many have? How many people would know what it sounds like. In a car with a small engine it sounded like an exhuast pipe was loose. I only noticed the noise after I got off the highway onto local roads, where the road noise did not obscure the sound. You can lose oil quickly in some circumstances. Or, if you are on a long highway drive, you might loose it just at the right speed that you could be bone dry by the time you get to your next turn off. If the light never comes on before the engine seizes up, who's at fault? Seems to me there needs to be a better way to monitor oil levels than what is being used currently. Instead of relying on the intake of the oil pump that circulates the oil through the engine, there should be another smaller intake a little higher that only feeds the sensor.. That way the light comes on before it stops pumping the oil through the engine.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Rented a 2011 Rav4 for a week and put 1k miles on it. What a POS interior, couldn't wait to get back into my Kia Optima (was getting fixed for hail damage).
It is a POS. I agree. I like my 2006 Hyundai Tucson's interior better, but that car sounds like you are in a wind tunnel going down the road. You get off the highway in that and you realize how loud it is when you have to turn down the radio. The Tucson has much better lumbar support too.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The valves(?) were screaming. I had never heard it before. How many have? How many people would know what it sounds like. In a car with a small engine it sounded like an exhuast pipe was loose. I only noticed the noise after I got off the highway onto local roads, where the road noise did not obscure the sound. You can lose oil quickly in some circumstances. Or, if you are on a long highway drive, you might loose it just at the right speed that you could be bone dry by the time you get to your next turn off. If the light never comes on before the engine seizes up, who's at fault? Seems to me there needs to be a better way to monitor oil levels than what is being used currently. Instead of relying on the intake of the oil pump that circulates the oil through the engine, there should be another smaller intake a little higher that only feeds the sensor.. That way the light comes on before it stops pumping the oil through the engine.
So what exactly is so wrong with popping the hood and checking the oil when you fill up with gas? Seriously! It's not that big a deal.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 AM

885 posts, read 1,876,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
So what exactly is so wrong with popping the hood and checking the oil when you fill up with gas? Seriously! It's not that big a deal.
It's annoying and other cars have overcome this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive