Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:23 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times

Advertisements

Googled "Rockford Firebird" and got this.

http://thestar.blogs.com/.a/6a00d834...6572970c-600wi

I am almost sure this is a 1975. In 1976, I think they had a honeycomb grille in those insets, and the inset lamps were no longer there. The other thing that's amiss (or maybe I'm forgetting) is that Esprit badging was generally placed on the pillars behind the doors. I don't see it. However, I see the much more thickly upholstered bucket seats found in each of the Firebirds above the base model, so it could very well be an Esprit. This one has the traditional Pontiac rallye wheels. This IS a great car, and I would love to have one today, not giving a crap what anyone thought. The demise of Pontiac Motor Division was indeed a sad event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 11:28 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Should I invest in the Trans Am; new rims, new headlights, new body paint job, get the car detailed, new stereo system. Right now it's just stock, I've never done anything to it.

But I choose to keep it, what could I do it to make it look nice enough to compete with all the hot new cars out there?
Dude. The most ghetto car out there now is the Chrysler 300C modded with 20" rims and limo tint. The only way to out-ghetto that car is to do those mods to a Trans-Am. Do you want to be in a ghetto-y car?

I also wouldn't use the word "invest" to describe new rims, paint, etc. on a Trans-Am. You'll get back 10% of the money you put into it

Old 09-09-2012, 04:13 AM

83 posts, read 217,177 times
The 98-02 Trans Am just OOZES cool, it had such aggressive lines that if you were to call it a 2013 model, it would fit right in with cars nowadays. I have 99 myself and while it's not the most desirable color (pewter) and has over 171,000 miles on it, I still get compliments on it all the time.

All you really need is a new set of rims to make your car pop, assuming you have the stock WS6 wheels on there. (the fat 5 spoke rims) C5 Z06 wheels look awesome on a T/A and can be picked up for relatively cheap.

A set of Fikse FM5's REALLY make the car shine, these are my personal favorite rims but are also very pricey, around $3,000 or more for a brand new set.

For a mere couple thousand you could turn your car from stock to pretty radical if you wanted to, my car is obnoxious, loud and fast enough to get you into some trouble! It holds its own against much newer vehicles, but not knowing how CD is about that sort of thing, I'll leave you with a random (legal!) video of the first time I went to the track shortly after I moved here to Texas.

From what I gathered by glancing over the thread, it seems like you're more into show than go, I'm the complete opposite, which is why my car sounds so ungodly awesome is it goes by. I don't know about you, but I could listen to that all day... Oh wait, I do, I daily drive the thing!

Cam Only LS1 T/A 12 Second Pass - YouTube

Old 09-09-2012, 07:50 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
I always loved c5 z06 brakes.

In fact these just popped up locally and look great, they look like they all might be 17s in all 4 corners. Is love them on my 4th or 3rd gen. On my 3rd gen I could then upgrade to c5 brakes.

Too bad its not the best time to be blowing money on a car.

http://charleston.craigslist.org/pts/3214468222.html

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
Also didnt see if it was talked about as a reskimmed the thread. Do you really need a new paint job? Does it just not shine as much?

I mean a good buffing, claying and high quality wax job can REALLY a car around.

As for the "omg the interior of a trans am is made of poorer quality components, and likely sqeuks". If you hear the rattles of the interior with the t-tops off, radio up, and the roar of the engine, then its worth looking at...

If you buy an f-body for a nice interior, you are doing it wrong, plane and simple.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-09-2012, 11:37 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Hi guys, I was wondering what your thoughts are on the Trans Am?

I have a 2002 Trans Am, last of it's kind, with the ram air and WS6 package. It's a lovely shade of dark blue with all the trimmings. Packs 325 horsepower. It's a tank.

Should I trade it in for something new and make payments on the new car?

OR

Should I invest in the Trans Am; new rims, new headlights, new body paint job, get the car detailed, new stereo system. Right now it's just stock, I've never done anything to it.

But I choose to keep it, what could I do it to make it look nice enough to compete with all the hot new cars out there?

It only has about 80k miles on it and still doing well.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Is a frogs ass water tight?

Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am - YouTube

Old 09-09-2012, 11:39 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times

Custom Knight rider intro 1 - Classic - YouTube

Old 09-09-2012, 01:29 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
I worked on a few F-bodies, and nearly every time it was a miserable experience.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:33 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Paint is a lot more expensive these days than a lot of people think.

$2k for a "paint job" is actually on the cheap anymore.

Don't get me started on high end custom jobs. The sky is the limit.
Absolutely. I service and deliver accounts on car paint and supplies. All the major premium lines are up there. Cheap paint is often alot of trouble (not always but either takes a really talented painter or the shop passes shlocky work through)

Hey, on the trans ams; I really like those old beauties. The 78 model in Smoky and the Bandit I love.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:29 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Hey, on the trans ams; I really like those old beauties. The 78 model in Smoky and the Bandit I love.
And what was the famous line at the drive through: "Trans Am, what's your pleasure ... "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive