Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 AM

458 posts, read 1,249,135 times

Advertisements

Do YOU think it's cool? That's all that really matters. Would you really sell a car and buy a new one because of what other people consider cool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 09:00 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
No disrespect to the OP intended. But the TA hasn't been a cool car for a long time except to a small demographic - white boys generally from the South and not typically well educated. The TA is a crude car, it is gaudy, not well made, and it is a Pontiac.

I liked them when I was a teenager long time ago during the Smokey and Bandit days. I wouldn't be seen in one now.

Get something better.
No disrespect to you intended, but this post makes you look like a narrow-minded cretin.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Its always been looked upon as a guido or white trash muscle car. I always appreciate when I see one in prestine condition. Especially the older late 70's - early 80's models.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I don't think the Trans Am has been "cool" since 1990. This does not mean that it isn't a desirable car. Lots of people still drive them but I don't think they are "cool" in popular culture anymore.
Now this is where I get puzzled about some of the comments. I don't think some of you have seen the 2002 Trans AM ram air WS6. I think some of you are thinking about the regular firebird or the trans am without the ram air. Those I can understand are gawdy or have not ages well.

But the one I have is a beast. I get compliments on it everyday. I am just wondering overall what ppl think.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Its always been looked upon as a guido or white trash muscle car. I always appreciate when I see one in prestine condition. Especially the older late 70's - early 80's models.
As opposed to the newer late 70's - early 80's models?

In my opinion, the first- and second-generation models (1969-1981) are pretty cool. Third-generation (1982-1992) is pretty lame. Fourth generation through 1997 is nothing special, but the later fourth gen cars (1998-2002) are sharp. This is based on appearance only, by the way, I've never been in the market for one so I'm really not familiar with how they perform.

Again, just my opinion. Everybody is entitled to their own.

If I had an '02 WS6 I'd keep it.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Hi guys, I was wondering what your thoughts are on the Trans Am?

I have a 2002 Trans Am, last of it's kind, with the ram air and WS6 package. It's a lovely shade of dark blue with all the trimmings. Packs 325 horsepower. It's a tank.

Should I trade it in for something new and make payments on the new car?

OR

Should I invest in the Trans Am; new rims, new headlights, new body paint job, get the car detailed, new stereo system. Right now it's just stock, I've never done anything to it.

But I choose to keep it, what could I do it to make it look nice enough to compete with all the hot new cars out there?

It only has about 80k miles on it and still doing well.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Do you know what a paintjob costs these days? Look into to get it vinyl wrapped.

Most pontiacs die around 80k miles... my 98 Firebird died at that time, lol

Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 AM

317 posts, read 528,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
No disrespect to the OP intended. But the TA hasn't been a cool car for a long time except to a small demographic - white boys generally from the South and not typically well educated. The TA is a crude car, it is gaudy, not well made, and it is a Pontiac.

I liked them when I was a teenager long time ago during the Smokey and Bandit days. I wouldn't be seen in one now.

Get something better.
haha

they are good for doing burnouts in McDonalds car parks as well.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
Quote:
Fourth generation through 1997 is nothing special, but the later fourth gen cars (1998-2002) are sharp. This is based on appearance only, by the way, I've never been in the market for one so I'm really not familiar with how they perform.

Again, just my opinion. Everybody is entitled to their own.

If I had an '02 WS6 I'd keep it.
Exactly. Does everyone in here drive a Prius?

Are they car snobs and prefer European imports?

Or are they ricer fans? The '02 Trans Am is slick.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:42 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
It is definitely a gaudy car. It is not designed to flow smoothly and you can tell the styling was intended to look aggressive and "nasty". I'm sure it seemed like a great idea at the time but it doesn't age well. The honeycomb lights are terrible and the front end is just gross. Fairly typical of Pontiacs over styled cars of the time (all that body cladding). Still a powerful car none the less. The Camaro was a much cleaner car at the time.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
It is definitely a gaudy car. It is not designed to flow smoothly and you can tell the styling was intended to look aggressive and "nasty". I'm sure it seemed like a great idea at the time but it doesn't age well. The honeycomb lights are terrible and the front end is just gross. Fairly typical of Pontiacs over styled cars of the time (all that body cladding). Still a powerful car none the less. The Camaro was a much cleaner car at the time.
When I first read this I wondered what the heck you were talking about. I assume you're referring to the 1977-1978 model. OP has a 2002. Hidden headlights, no honeycomb anywhere. Unless he's got a Jimmie Rodgers CD in the stereo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive