Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,583,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easychair View Post
And you passed NJ safety inspection with those tires?
They don't check tires, brakes etc. anymore on passenger cars in N.J., emissions only. Just curious though. Has anyone heard of a person going to N.J. inspection recently, with an obvious problem (like bald tires) and got failed for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 06:50 AM

556 posts, read 1,223,359 times
I can't

I have different size wheels front/back and directional tires.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 AM

882 posts, read 2,084,196 times
120K on tires? I care not on which end of the car, only that I sincerely hope you're not behind me in traffic...

And yes, rotate the tires to ensure even wear - even if a vehicle is aligned, there is "play" in every road car suspension, so it's extraordinarly unlikely to have absolute even wear no matter how one drives. Just be sure to rotate per instructions - FWD, 4WD, whatever...

Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,109,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Be thankful if your car calls for tires that you can buy for $65.00 each. I'm about to change 4 tires (225 /50-17) on our 07 Fusion SEL. I'm replacing them with the same tires that the car came with (MichelinPilot HX MXM4). It will cost me $810.00 bucks out the door mounted, balanced, road hazard for all 4 and that's for a middle of the road priced tire.
Amen...almost $2000 at my last tire change.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,557,539 times
If all 4 are spec'd for the same size, then yeah rotate definitely. I get rotation thrown in for nothing at oil change usually. Or I could go back to where I bought them and have them rotated for free. The ones I have are directional so the rotation is just front to back but they are all 4 the same size so this is worth doing.

When you get into a situation where you're only buying a pair, you have a problem. For front drivers the fronts wear out faster and your inclination is to put new ones on the front, especially if it's winter where you have snow. But, for safety in cornering and emergency handling maneuvers, a new pair should always go on the BACK, even on a front driver. Despite the higher lump sum of replacing 4 at once, for best safety it is worth it to rotate and have them wear evenly. The overall wear and tire purchases should work out about equal.

I have an old car with 15" wheels, not too wide, so luckily I can get a set of 4 good high-performance all-seasons for around $500 or so, under $600 anyway. It's still tricky because it's an odd size not used that much.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Be thankful if your car calls for tires that you can buy for $65.00 each. I'm about to change 4 tires (225 /50-17) on our 07 Fusion SEL. I'm replacing them with the same tires that the car came with (MichelinPilot HX MXM4). It will cost me $810.00 bucks out the door mounted, balanced, road hazard for all 4 and that's for a middle of the road priced tire.
Geezus H. Why put OEM tires back on. Discount tire has a bunch in the $130 with free shipping range in that size.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:42 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,120,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Why do you say this when most cars today are front wheel drive? Most cars today understeer so strongly that it is difficult to force the rear to slide at all in corners.

Most tires have no different traction on dry pavement with more or less tread. Tires with less tread may even handle better because of less "squirm" in the tread blocks.
Tires with no tread give the best traction on dry pavement. More rubber on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Believe what you want. They are the same tires since I purchased the car. It's true they are past due to be replaced, but they are not completely bold.. yet When I replaced the front tires at 80k, I had sticker shock. Last time I purchased tires, decent tires were $35 each, now you can't buy cheap tires for less than $65. Most of the miles are country driving miles, so that may help to explain the mileage on them.
Did you last go tire shopping in the 80's?? I never buy cheap tires, as I believe money spent on tires yields the highest return, but even so, I can't remember ever spending $35 for a new tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
Geezus H. Why put OEM tires back on...
Because they are good tires?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,121,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No. I have unidirectional tires of different sizes.
Lambo?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:56 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,120,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Lambo?
My GTO does. They're not stock.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Because they are good tires?
I have never had a set of OEM tires that I have said... damn these are good tires, I will get these again. Always better tires for less avail.

Stock runflats on my Corvette are crazy $ for ****ty tires. Stock 17" all season tires on my GTO were terrible, Ran Nitto 555NT's the rest of the time I had the car, fantastic tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive