Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:47 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times

Advertisements

We went look at some cars today and we discovered the hard way that Ford's power seats do not work unless the car is on. Anyone see this with any other makes? Most makes we've seen allow the power seats to work even with car off. This is an issue with us because my wife is 4 feet 11 inches tall. If she has to drive my future car, I can't get into the car at all without moving the seat. When I have to drive her car, I can't get into the driver's seat at all. She raises the seat all the way up and lowers the steering wheel all the way down to allow her to see over the dashboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
The memory seat selection works without the ignition on or power on in the Lexus we have. I just press the memory setting and the seat adjusts to that setting before I ever get in the driver's seat.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:09 AM

881 posts, read 2,091,853 times
Hmm. Which Ford? I can attest that the new Escape (2013) I drove this weekend has memory function w/o vehicle running. That being said, some brands do only have the "memory" function operating w/o engine on.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 AM

This was in the Fusion and Taurus. Don't know about the memory feature. I just tried to use the power seat control to adjust the seat and it didn't move.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
What models were these and were they new cars or used cars? (edit: you answered that, yes the seats should move without the key in the ingnition. I've driven both with power seats.) I've driven plenty of new Ford/Lincoln cars with power seats and they definitely work without the key in the ignition. If these were all new cars, it could be that they haven't been properly programmed by the dealership yet. For instance, a lot of new Ford's with power seats also have seat memory and the "return" function (seat goes all the way down and back to aid ingress/egress). If these aren't properly setup the seat may not move until they are. Also, did you unlock the cars with the remote, or were they just open on the lot? If you don't unlock the car with the remote the anti-theft system won't power the accessories and the car is "dead" until you put the key in the ignition.

FWIW, in the hundreds of different cars I have driven from all different brands, I've never driven one where the power seat couldn't be moved unless the key was in the ignition.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
What models were these and were they new cars or used cars? (edit: you answered that, yes the seats should move without the key in the ingnition. I've driven both with power seats.) I've driven plenty of new Ford/Lincoln cars with power seats and they definitely work without the key in the ignition. If these were all new cars, it could be that they haven't been properly programmed by the dealership yet. For instance, a lot of new Ford's with power seats also have seat memory and the "return" function (seat goes all the way down and back to aid ingress/egress). If these aren't properly setup the seat may not move until they are. Also, did you unlock the cars with the remote, or were they just open on the lot? If you don't unlock the car with the remote the anti-theft system won't power the accessories and the car is "dead" until you put the key in the ignition.

FWIW, in the hundreds of different cars I have driven from all different brands, I've never driven one where the power seat couldn't be moved unless the key was in the ignition.
These were in the show room with doors already unlocked.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
The last two Fords I have owned (F250) and Fusion (2008 - still own) operate the power seats without the ignition.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,646,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Not sure how ford does it. But I am sure they have some sort of body control module(bcm)

Basically a cabin systems computer, I bet if you activate anything with the keyless remote the it will allow you to power the seats. Similar to if I shut my 2000 camaro off, radio and power Windows all work, as soon as I open the driver door, it cuts power. As it is sequnced in.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
That's why then. When the cars sit unlocked like that, they go into a power saving mode and "sleep". They only "wake up" when the remote is used or the key is placed in the ignition. You will find many other cars sitting in showrooms have the same issue or even straight up dead batteries. I can assure you that when you actually use it normally the power seats function just like they do on any other car.

FWIW, I highly recommend getting one with the memory seat/mirror function. My wife and I have very different seating positions and it's a great feature. On the new Fords (and many other brands) they are tied not just to the button on the door, but also the remote used to unlock the car, so hit the button and your seat is already set before you even open the door. Many of the Fords also have the return function where the seat drops all the way back and down and then moves to the memory position when you put the key in to start the car (this can be turned on or off based on personal preference for each driver).

Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
That's why then. When the cars sit unlocked like that, they go into a power saving mode and "sleep". They only "wake up" when the remote is used or the key is placed in the ignition. You will find many other cars sitting in showrooms have the same issue or even straight up dead batteries. I can assure you that when you actually use it normally the power seats function just like they do on any other car.

FWIW, I highly recommend getting one with the memory seat/mirror function. My wife and I have very different seating positions and it's a great feature. On the new Fords (and many other brands) they are tied not just to the button on the door, but also the remote used to unlock the car, so hit the button and your seat is already set before you even open the door. Many of the Fords also have the return function where the seat drops all the way back and down and then moves to the memory position when you put the key in to start the car (this can be turned on or off based on personal preference for each driver).
If we can afford it, we're getting the memory feature. I know it seems to take forever to get highly adjustable power seats to the perfect setting. Then when you take it to the shop or car wash the seat settings are all messed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive