Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,010,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
...I drove a Ford Mondeo and the thing is just like a Fusion to me...
It is sold in NA as the fusion, so your assessment was spot on.

Was recently in Germany and the occasional "American" car really did stand out. The 93-97 Firebird Formula I was behind on the autobahn made an impression on me.

I did find the servicemen who'd purchased Chargers and 300's and then added deep dished 20" wheels a bit humorous...It was if I hadn't even left the states.

The Golf was the mainstay of the German cars I saw, along with the Opel Insignias also...and a couple of the "hot" model insignias introduced here as the Regal GS. I believe they even had a wagon version of the car I saw over there too, seemed fairly popular. The 3 series and 1 series BMW was popular, both of which are available stateside. There were a TON of cars over there that we don't get, but most as stated were small hatches that typically struggle in the American market so it's understandable that it makes no sense for these companies to export them...heck, I don't think I ever saw a 1 series BMW coupe over there, every one of them was a hatch...and many of them had a Hertz sticker on the window...which explained why Hertz couldn't fill my reservation when I arrived...Oh well, Diesel Golfs are fun too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 12:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Gutless wonder CARB (CA emission specific) cars are unique to USA. And THAT stinks !!! (our state just adopted CARB URK... no more diesels here...) cept my 'beaters', and they will last the rest of my life

Old 09-01-2012, 12:26 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Lincolns are only sold in North America and the Middle East

Scions are only sold in the US and Canada

Buicks are only sold in US, Canada, Mexico, China, Taiwain, and Israel

Up until this model year, the Chevy Malibu was North America only
Yeah but Scion cars are sold as Toyotas in other parts of the world.
The Xb for example, is the Toyota Rukus in Australia (and almost 30k USD)

Old 09-01-2012, 12:29 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
What did he get wrong? No Va does mean Doesn't Go en Espanol.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:17 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
^^ Nova and No Va are two different words. In fact Pemex the only gas distributer in Mexico sold a grade of gas called NOVA.

If you didn't read my first link, try this one.

The Legend of the Chevy Nova That Wouldn't Go

and this one.

BLOG.NAMEQUEST.COM: Chevrolet Nova

Old 09-02-2012, 11:34 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,180,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post

Was recently in Germany and the occasional "American" car really did stand out. The 93-97 Firebird Formula I was behind on the autobahn made an impression on me.

I did find the servicemen who'd purchased Chargers and 300's and then added deep dished 20" wheels a bit humorous...It was if I hadn't even left the states.

The Golf was the mainstay of the German cars I saw, along with the Opel Insignias also...and a couple of the "hot" model insignias introduced here as the Regal GS. I believe they even had a wagon version of the car I saw over there too, seemed fairly popular. The 3 series and 1 series BMW was popular, both of which are available stateside. There were a TON of cars over there that we don't get, but most as stated were small hatches that typically struggle in the American market so it's understandable that it makes no sense for these companies to export them...heck, I don't think I ever saw a 1 series BMW coupe over there, every one of them was a hatch...and many of them had a Hertz sticker on the window...which explained why Hertz couldn't fill my reservation when I arrived...Oh well, Diesel Golfs are fun too!
A co-worker of mine (I live in Norway) has a 1 Series Coupé. I have be driving in Germany for the last couple of days and have seen 2-3 of them.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Some are rebadged; I drove a Ford Mondeo and the thing is just like a Fusion to me (to find out later), maybe it is or is not, but I could not tell, this was before the Fusion came out in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Not quite. The Fusion has long been the corporate cousin of the Mazda6 and only just now migrated to the Mondeo platform starting with the 2013 model year.

The last time we saw the Mondeo platform here was in the form of the lamentable Jaguar X-type, and before that as the Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique. Let's hope the third time's a charm.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,336,338 times
USDM Accord and mazda 6 are different than its european counterpart, the camry I'd there but sells very poorly, its more popular equivalent (in terms of sales) would be the Toyota Avalon.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Yeh, the European Accord is sold here as the Acura ISX. Pretty sure the Mazda6/Atenza is (or at least was) more or identical worldwide except for engine options. Oh yeah, and we can't get the wagon or hatch here anymore.

Interesting the Avalon is such a big seller there versus Camry.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,336,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeh, the European Accord is sold here as the Acura ISX. Pretty sure the Mazda6/Atenza is (or at least was) more or identical worldwide except for engine options. Oh yeah, and we can't get the wagon or hatch here anymore.

Interesting the Avalon is such a big seller there versus Camry.
I need to not post from my phone when I'm tired... I meant the Toyota Avensis, which is a little smaller than the camry.

The us mazda 6 Is larger than the euro one, similar design, but its bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive