Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:32 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
For an extra $300 that better be some damned good coffee and cookies!
Kopi luwak and the finest Danish cookies made
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 12:45 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Don't believe for one second that all dealers use OEM parts all the time. EXAMPLE. I just went down to the local Ford dealer for a brake line on a F150. The parts guy tells me that Ford does not have pre bent OEM brake lines so I ask him where do they get their brake lines from. He tells me NAPA. They buy lengths of brake line and bend them at the shop. Of course the brake line I need to replace has about 15 bends in it.
Get over yourself. This is exactly what the manufacture does when they need generic parts.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
My question would be, why at 36,000 miles would this vehicle require the rotors to be replaced, in addition to rear service as well, however a vague description it is. This would tell me that this vehicle has experienced severe conditions, misuse or abnormal mechanical failures such as, sticking calipers, collapsed brake hose, pinched steel line, etc.. In this case the cost of repairs could run outside the norm. It really crawls all over me when so many keyboard techs jump to the conclusion that shops and techs are ripping you off. Without all the pertinent info, it is impossible to give accurate advise.
Over 25 years in the trade, I tend to stick with factory brake parts. Why? Due to vehicle specifics such as size, weight, performance attributes, and quality of fit. I too will baulk over price at times, but it is what it is.

Maintenance is key in prolonging extensive service, but the fact is, most people will neglect to do routine service untill it's too late and requires much more repair. That is not the fault of the service provider and they shouldn't take the heat because the owner doesn't want to assume responsibility.
Just FYI, there is often a reason some parts are so much cheaper from aftermarket suppliers. Quality and materials, not always the case, but quite often! Same can be said with service as well!

As for the comment of the brake line and it's bends. How does the fact that a brake line has 15 bends make a difference in the quality of a line. A qualified professional tech can easily replicate a brake line with all it's bends and flares with the proper tools. Tools and techniques that don't come free by the way. Thus the cost of service labor cost that so many complain of.
My comment about brake lines was a reply to a post about dealers using OEM parts (I know for a fact that's not always the case). I'm well aware of what goes into bending a brake line (having done so countless times). I'm equipped to handle most repairs on autos (yes, I even have a bubble flare tool because that's what Ford uses on many of it's vehicles). My point is, instead of messing around bending lines, it would have been nice to go to the dealer and purchase a pre-formed line (which I have done with other manufacturers). I will agree with you that when available, OEM parts are the way to go.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:48 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
My comment about brake lines was a reply to a post about dealers using OEM parts (I know for a fact that's not always the case). I'm well aware of what goes into bending a brake line (having done so countless times). I'm equipped to handle most repairs on autos (yes, I even have a bubble flare tool because that's what Ford uses on many of it's vehicles). My point is, instead of messing around bending lines, it would have been nice to go to the dealer and purchase a pre-formed line (which I have done with other manufacturers). I will agree with you that when available, OEM parts are the way to go.
For parts like fluid lines it would be impossible ,and impractical, to stock all the different sizes and bends.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
For parts like fluid lines it would be impossible ,and impractical, to stock all the different sizes and bends.
Do you actually read what people post and if it's a response to another post. I made a statement about not being able to get pre formed lines from Ford, nothing more, nothing less. You can get pre bent lines from Jeep. Maybe you should stop smacking yourself in the head, you may have knocked a screw loose.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:53 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I would go to the dealer for complicated problems involving the engine, they have the proper training computers to get the job done. Brakes however can be done by anyone for half the price.
Aftermarket chains aren't really a good option.

Some aftermarket brake pads will not fit perfectly within the caliper leading to scrubbing noises..

This happens often on the newer acuras...

It's very suddle but some people do notice it.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:28 PM

774 posts, read 2,600,871 times
I would say that $500 is just a bit out of line.. By a bit I mean about $150-$200 too high.. New pads and rotors would set you back less than $150. If you shop around they can be had for less than $100 for 2 news one rotors plus pads. This gives the shop $150-200 to cover labor... Honestly I don't see why the rotors were replaced at the time either unless they were scored badly beyond what they could be cleaned up.

If any shop puts $150-$200 into the labor on a Corolla brake job they need to fire the guy working on the car.

It's seriously about an hour job if you don't know which end of the ratchet to hold...

Hate to say it but you got ripped off. $180-$200 is reasonable for this job.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:51 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post

Some aftermarket brake pads will not fit perfectly within the caliper leading to scrubbing noises..

Yeah this happened to me on my acura. Went to a nat. chain a couple years back and for new pads on the front. About six months later I started getting the scrubbing noise. I since found a trustworthy mechanic and have had them checked twice since. He insists they are fine and the noise is due to aftermarket parts. He said that acuras are real finicky when it comes to brake pads.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post

Just curious. I've never had any experience with Acura's but I do use Bendix and Bosch brake products with excellent results. When you talk about aftermarket are you talking about parts from Autozone, Advanced, Pep Boys etc.?

Old 09-03-2012, 12:56 PM

46 posts, read 79,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesnana View Post
When I got my safety sticker the guy said I needed a brake job. He told me in broken English he would do it for $185. (2009 Toyota Corolla LE, just over 36000 miles) I didn't trust him, so I took it to the dealer. It cost almost $500. I realize dealers charge more, but I didn't expect that.

Anybody ever heard of a $500 brake job?
If your brakes were metal to metal for awhile then this sounds about right. If your brakes were like that too long then they had to replace rotors. At dealerships rotors are about 125 dollars a rotor plus the brake pads and labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive