Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 05:18 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

So it's all the 1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu owners' fault that the intake gasket starts leaking, brake rotors warp, AC control panel doesn't work right, and the PassLock anti-theft system stops recognizing my keys and won't start? I know what you mean though. My mom had a program 1984 Dodge Diplomat with 318 engine. She tells us it's not running right two years after buying the car. Looked like raw fudge on the dipstick. She never had the oil changed. Car never ran the same since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 07:11 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
The salesman told them it was maintenance free, so getting gas was all they ever needed to do.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:38 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
This...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the answer to all these issues is, people in general are stupid. they have no clue about how things work, or what needs to be done to keep them working, and those that do assume all too often that they know more than the car owner does.

so i guess stupidity combined with arrogance and a complete lack of customer service ability means that people just dont listen.
And this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That is surely one major factor relating to this problem...

That is another factor...

However, I think that the overarching factor is...failure to accept responsibility for one's own actions.

For quite a few years, we have had an drastic increase in the percentage of people in The US (perhaps in other countries as well...) who just cannot seem to accept responsibility for their own actions or inactions. So...even though they get a carefully laid-out maintenance schedule in their glove compartment when they buy their car, they seem to have no idea about how to maintain it. And, if a mechanic dares to point out that the car has not been maintained properly, the usual reaction is to call the mechanic a charlatan, or a thief, or a con-artist, or...God only knows what else.

I was raised to assume responsibility for my actions, but based on what I observe on a daily basis, it seems that not many people were raised this way. For most folks, every problem that befalls them (car-related or not car-related) is the fault of somebody else.

I dealt with it in my business as well. People substitute what they think should be for what actually is. Things like "I bought good equipment. Why can't I turn the volume control around three times without blowing up the speakers?" or "The TV you sold me is 1080P. Why don't my 35 year old videotapes look like BluRay? I read a post by some guy on some forum on some site that everything is supposed to look the same if I get 1080P." Ignorance coupled with arrogance, with dashes of stupidity and ego thrown in, are a dangerous combination.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Why do people blame the car manufacturers when their cars end up a tow truck instead of themselves being neglectful?

Judging by another thread in this sub-forum, I reckon its because a lot of people seem to think that conventional engine oil can last up to 18,000 kms before needing to be changed.
What a shame..

Old 09-01-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
I know what you mean. I'm in another service business myself. People abuse their equipment then complain when it fails. Worse yet when it's not running or working. You trouble shoot and find the cause and show/tell them. They want to ask you "are you sure it needs that part...it was working fine?" Um..uh no it wasn't! That leads to yet another problem. People know darn good and well the thing is busted or has a problem. When they call they say nothing of it. Our service writer asked them if everything is ok? They say yes...they just need "a service". Well...they need a hell of a lot more than that. Not only could you have saved time not having to just stumble upon it...you wouldn't have screwed up our day and schedule to do added repairs not mentioned putting you further behind folks who were honest and forthcoming. I think they think the bill goes up if they tell the truth or something. Um..NO...it's still busted and needs the repair you jackass!

In todays day and age people expect to buy mechanical things that never need repair or to maintain anything. They act as though they are shocked when it takes a dump. Nothing mechanical last forever and never needs parts or repair. Stuff wears out from use. Does your damn cell phone glued to your ear last forever? Sheesh!

Don't bash the pruduct if you abused it or didn't take care of it. It counts against a quality products reputation because they so happen to leave out the minor "detail" of beating the hell out of it and never having it looked at or worked on. Other folks don't ask, they just see the bad rep and run with the idea the product isn't any good.
Well said.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I get grief the other way around, I am female and I know my veicles inside and out and I can tell you every creak and noise that has been there since I had the vehicle and which noise is new. So when I go to a tech and tell them that this area has this noise that sounds like "swoooshie" he looks at me like I have lost my mind. My vehicles are maintained properly all the way around from the fluids and belts to the tires and rims and no less than 1/2 full of gasoline at any given moment and usually full and all of my lights and turn signals work because they are checked often so when a light or turn signal goes out it is changed within a couple of hours of going out.

I do understand your frustration but I get just as frustrated when I can tell you what area has something wrong with it and you want to tell me that I have no idea what I am talking about, there is no problem or the problem is at the other end of the vehicle. Just to find out later after you have done your "technical search" and found that I was actually right but you would not dare admit that I was right and you still treat me like an idiot.

*** When I say YOU I do not mean YOU personally, the word is only used in reference to those I had been dealing with regarding the vehicle maintenance issue.***
I honestly can not relate to this issue. I have worked at nothing but dealerships and top of the line dealers as well so I never came across this situation before.

Where do you take your car to get it serviced?

Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
This...
And this...

I dealt with it in my business as well. People substitute what they think should be for what actually is. Things like "I bought good equipment. Why can't I turn the volume control around three times without blowing up the speakers?" or "The TV you sold me is 1080P. Why don't my 35 year old videotapes look like BluRay? I read a post by some guy on some forum on some site that everything is supposed to look the same if I get 1080P." Ignorance coupled with arrogance, with dashes of stupidity and ego thrown in, are a dangerous combination.
Some of that is ignorance on their part combined with lying salesmen. The electronics sales people will sometimes lie as much or more than used car salesmen. My family comes to me for home electronics. I've had some ask me if even their VHS and DVD's will be in high definition with the new HDTV. I tell them no, but I'd connected with the correct video cable, they see it in a slightly better picture. Amazing the difference between RF and yellow RCA video cable can make on VHS or from yellow to component video or HDMI on DVD.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
The same thing can be said for jerry rigging or not fixing something right the first time. Putting a bandaid on a gun shot wound if you will. Brake pads changed without rotors is a good one. No duh, the surface is grooved and warped to no end. Those fresh pads will be toast in no time. Adding rims and tires that are way oversized seems to be a popular trend among young folks these days. Don't you know the vehicles suspension was never designed for "big 'o 24 fos"! That is hard on the CV joints, spindles, A arms, tie rods, ball joints, pitman arm and end links. Could be hard on the shocks too. Many install fart cannons on the exhaust. They remove emissions equipment while doing so. That may make the engine run in a lean condition if it isn't retuned and or recalibrated. The O2 sensors and check engine light don't tell lies. Something is wrong or out of spec. Buy wisely, not everything is intended for on road use. You used to have blown intake gaskets and head gaskets because someone mixed the green with the red antifreeze at some point in time without flushing and converting it properly. The list goes on and on here.
I may **** off some people with this post but I always speak my mind.

I have worked at 2 dealerships and 1 aftermarket place.

The 2 dealerships I worked for where (Nissan/Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge)

and
Acura

There is a level of professionalism at the dealer. The service managers do not put up with that type of workmanship and techs will be fired instantly if they have too many comebacks. There is a sense of pride and good work ethic at the dealer.

My short term at Midas...was short for a reason.

They where completely unprofessional. Heck even the lifts they were using would damage the under body of the car. They hammered off rotors and when they machined them they would still have dents in them.

Comebacks were fairly often and instead of the manager getting pissed about it he would instead use it as an opportunity to make more money by upselling something else to the customer.

So in short people get what they pay for when you bring it to joe blow or Auto Hack..

Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Some of that is ignorance on their part combined with lying salesmen. The electronics sales people will sometimes lie as much or more than used car salesmen. My family comes to me for home electronics. I've had some ask me if even their VHS and DVD's will be in high definition with the new HDTV. I tell them no, but I'd connected with the correct video cable, they see it in a slightly better picture. Amazing the difference between RF and yellow RCA video cable can make on VHS or from yellow to component video or HDMI on DVD.
If people are dumb enough to listen to a salesman they deserve to get ripped off.

The internet should be your guide.

If I want a new laptop I just type it in google and read 100s of reviews on it.
A car, a microwave, a t.v. whatever...google.

As a matterfact when I'm shopping I make it known to the salesman I don't want to be distracted by their nonsense so I can get a quality product I can enjoy not a crappy product that I pay the most for.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:43 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Because people are idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive