Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 05:29 PM

239 posts, read 935,148 times

Advertisements

Virginia safety inspection failed for following reasons

1 - Front Motor Mount
2 - Rear Motor Mount
3 - Rear right light lens
4 - wiper blades.

I took the car to my mechanice. He asked me to buy the parts and he will give estimate. I bought first two and asked him to buy the last two.He bought the last two and fixed all items. I took the car to reinspection today, the inspector failed for first two again. He did not give me the new sticker.He just left the old sticker on the car. He told me the problem still the same, the mechanic replaced the part which was not bad and did not replace the part which is bad. I told him he replaced front and rear motor mounts. He said the problem is with upper mount not front mount. Then I showed him the paper the front desk guy gave which clearly says issue with front motor mount. He said it is sevice admin problem, talk to him.Then he spoke with the front desk guy (service administrator) and then front desk guy spoke to my mechanic, front desk guy says I need to take the car back to mechanic and he will look at it and have any questions to call him. My mechanic says he replaced whatever parts that were mentioned on the document. They are closed today and opens on tuesday.My sticker expires (rejection) on sunday. If the mistake is from service admin side, shouldnt they extend the date on the sticker. What are my options now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 08:52 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,162,268 times
Any time when you have already diagnosed the problem and take it to a mechanic you run the risk of the mechanic fixing just what you tell him to. It would have been better to have told the mechanic that your car will not pass because of this or that but you want him to inspect it for ALL things which would cause it not to pass..

Old 09-01-2012, 09:17 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,644,635 times
Sounds slightly backwards. Usually, the mechanic will look at the car first, THEN decide which parts you need.

I hate to say it, but your mechanic doesn't sound like much of a mechanic.

So, I don't know, take the bus to work Monday, ask a co-worker for a ride, ride your bike, ask your mechanic for a loaner car, borrow a car from friend/family, rent a car.

Sorry, but the inspection station has to follow the law. Unless there is an official extension that you might qualify for, they most likely can't legally do anything for you. Next year, get your car inspected sooner so that you have more time to take care of anything that comes up.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 AM

239 posts, read 935,148 times
Yes.I agree. He should have checked all the parts which could go wrong. Even for the parts he replaced/fixed, looks like he did not verify properly whether they are working or not (engine not shaking when changing gears). This would be last time taking my car to him.

Thanks guys for your replies

Old 09-02-2012, 10:21 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,162,268 times
This should also be the last time you use this inspection station. It sounds like they are being very very critical of your car. Failing a car because of worn wiper blades is rare. I have never seen it happen .Please note that you do not have to take the car back to the original inspection station. You will have to pay for another inspection and they will see in the computer the reasons it failed at another station BUT they will most likely pass the car once you have the issues fixed. Also a motor mount unless it is broken completely should not cause it to fail a SAFETY inspection.Next time go to a place that just does inspections because they will have no interest in selling repairs.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,215,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
This should also be the last time you use this inspection station. It sounds like they are being very very critical of your car. Failing a car because of worn wiper blades is rare. I have never seen it happen .Please note that you do not have to take the car back to the original inspection station. You will have to pay for another inspection and they will see in the computer the reasons it failed at another station BUT they will most likely pass the car once you have the issues fixed. Also a motor mount unless it is broken completely should not cause it to fail a SAFETY inspection.Next time go to a place that just does inspections because they will have no interest in selling repairs.
OP said he took it to his mechanic first. This has nothing to do with the Inspection station. If something can't pass, it can't pass. They can't just let things slide because his mechanic didn't do right.

I also live in Virginia and took my Jeep up and I needed a new windshield, new tires, something with the brakes. So on and so fourth. I already knew what it was going to need for the most part but for a couple things. I took it two months before it was due because I knew it wasn't going to pass. I had them do my emissions and he looked the Jeep over and told me what it would need done in order to pass.

It cost me some money but I knew it would, that's why I went early. I took it back a couple of months later and it passed.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:03 PM

506 posts, read 1,155,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkblue View Post
Virginia safety inspection failed for following reasons

1 - Front Motor Mount
2 - Rear Motor Mount
3 - Rear right light lens
4 - wiper blades.

I took the car to my mechanice. He asked me to buy the parts and he will give estimate. I bought first two and asked him to buy the last two.He bought the last two and fixed all items. I took the car to reinspection today, the inspector failed for first two again. He did not give me the new sticker.He just left the old sticker on the car. He told me the problem still the same, the mechanic replaced the part which was not bad and did not replace the part which is bad. I told him he replaced front and rear motor mounts. He said the problem is with upper mount not front mount. Then I showed him the paper the front desk guy gave which clearly says issue with front motor mount. He said it is sevice admin problem, talk to him.Then he spoke with the front desk guy (service administrator) and then front desk guy spoke to my mechanic, front desk guy says I need to take the car back to mechanic and he will look at it and have any questions to call him. My mechanic says he replaced whatever parts that were mentioned on the document. They are closed today and opens on tuesday.My sticker expires (rejection) on sunday. If the mistake is from service admin side, shouldnt they extend the date on the sticker. What are my options now?
Don't tell me you go the the same place AGAIN where you failed for your second inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive