Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:56 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

Read an article that Mazda may bring back the rotary engine. However, it'll be powering a generator like in the Chevy Volt. They say it's light weight and small size makes it an ideal engine to power the generator while running at a constant RPM. Personally, I feel a small diesel engine would be ideal to power a generator in such vehicles. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 01:10 AM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Yeah, I have wondered why they haven't done diesel in these types of cars. It works great for locomotives on railroads. They should do it like trains, diesel-electric cars. Ditch the batteries, their high cost, lousy range, and weight, have diesel power a generator that powers the electric propulsion. At least as a stopgap measure anyway. Batteries are what are holding back electric cars for the most part. I don't see that changing anytime soon. I imagine a diesel engine could be a lot smaller for powering a generator then the whole car.

But I guess the subject of this thread is the rotary engine. Hopefully they can work the kinks out of it. If I remember the mileage wasn't great, not promising with the upcoming CAFE standards.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:02 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Rotary engines are great and have very few moving parts but the reason that they have never been popular is that they are thirstier engines.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Thirsty and the moving parts they have are fairly large, being that it's the entire rotor. The metal on metal movement wasn't good, seals were used to seal the combustion chamber, but those wore out over time which would require a rebuild and because the wankel's limited use most common mechanics had no clue what to do with them...end result, a niche engine. It's not a bad design, and creates GREAT power to weight, and power for size ratios...but I'd wonder the reasons for Mazda going through with this other than a desire to feel nostalgic.

I'd also recommend the diesel engine, when you can have a diesel power a car it'll net upwards of 50+ mpg...an even smaller diesel being used to only turn a generator to recharge batteries seems like a nobrainer...I don't know why the Volt didn't come with a dang go-kart or motorcycle sized powerplant as opposed to the 2.0L Ecotec...but I'm not a GM engineer either.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
A conventional piston engine has seals for the combustion chamber. They are called piston rings. The one major moving part of a rotary is the rotor, but even though it is larger, its motion is not as erratic as the start stop of a piston. Rotary engines are smooth and rev very easily. The engine is very reliable in non-turbo form. Its long standing achilles heal is fuel consumption.

Perhaps Mazda has some new tricks that make its use as a generator power source beneficial.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Read an article that Mazda may bring back the rotary engine. However, it'll be powering a generator like in the Chevy Volt. They say it's light weight and small size makes it an ideal engine to power the generator while running at a constant RPM. Personally, I feel a small diesel engine would be ideal to power a generator in such vehicles. What do you think?
Small size and high-revving are assets, but the fuel efficiency of rotaries just sucks for the amount of power they produce.

The problem with diesels is that they don't handle the constant start-stop cycles inherent to hybrid applications very well -- not to mention they're more expensive, and cost is already a sensitive issue when you're dealing with the expensive of not just one but two powerplants, the hardware needed to manage the power from both, and a big-ass battery pack. Throw in difficulty meeting emissions requirements and you have a recipe for why diesel hybrids are almost non-existent in passenger-car applications, though auto companies are still working on it.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:53 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Small size and high-revving are assets, but the fuel efficiency of rotaries just sucks for the amount of power they produce.

The problem with diesels is that they don't handle the constant start-stop cycles inherent to hybrid applications very well -- not to mention they're more expensive, and cost is already a sensitive issue when you're dealing with the expensive of not just one but two powerplants, the hardware needed to manage the power from both, and a big-ass battery pack. Throw in difficulty meeting emissions requirements and you have a recipe for why diesel hybrids are almost non-existent in passenger-car applications, though auto companies are still working on it.
Not talking about a hybrid system like the Prius or Insight. This engine would fire up as battery power drops and then constantly run at a steady rate to power a generator to charge the batteries. Agree the rotary is thirsty. It's also low on torque, something a diesel has in abundance. As someone here said before, if they could eliminate the huge expensive batteries and go straight from generator to electric motor with some form of power regulation and storage (smaller and cheaper than current hybrid or Volt batteries) then there would be a cost savings in addition to saving poor nations from strip mining for rare minerals to make these batteries.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Not talking about a hybrid system like the Prius or Insight. This engine would fire up as battery power drops and then constantly run at a steady rate to power a generator to charge the batteries. Agree the rotary is thirsty. It's also low on torque, something a diesel has in abundance. As someone here said before, if they could eliminate the huge expensive batteries and go straight from generator to electric motor with some form of power regulation and storage (smaller and cheaper than current hybrid or Volt batteries) then there would be a cost savings in addition to saving poor nations from strip mining for rare minerals to make these batteries.
What is the value a car that runs as a series hybrid full-time?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:26 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Rotary engines are great and have very few moving parts but the reason that they have never been popular is that they are thirstier engines.
And I believe emmisionsare harder to figure out.

I vote for mini turbine that cM run on just about anything that burns..

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
And I believe emmisionsare harder to figure out.

I vote for mini turbine that cM run on just about anything that burns..

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Even lighter, even more compact, less maintenance, fewer moving parts, fewer ancillaey systems (lubrication for instance), etc. Jaguar is toying with the idea:

Jaguar C-X75 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder though if it's remotely plausible to meet emissions requirements with turbines any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive