Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 02:41 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times

Advertisements

I usually refuel as soon as the gauge goes below the 1/4 mark. But sometimes it's been nearly empty.

Fortunately, I've never run out of fuel in 33 years of driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 02:43 PM

654 posts, read 3,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Every vehicle has a certain amout of fuel that will never be used, this saves the fuel pump from burning out. If your tank is 14 gallons, there will only be about 12.5 to 13 gallons of usable fuel. So you can run it completely out and there will still be fuel in it.
This could be true. In one experiment I had done with the old tank, the stated capacity was 15 gallons. Now in some cases when I had ran the tank down to where the needle hit the E mark and filled it up, I saw afterward that it had filled at 15.5, sometimes close to 16 gallons. So that tells me that I really have 16 gallons max, but 15 usable gallons. The extra gallon (in my car in this case) is strictly reserve and is meant for you to head for a station asap.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 PM

363 posts, read 988,651 times
No problem for me because at 1/4 tank I still have 11 gallons left.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:46 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Frequently. At least when I KNOW there are opportunities to fill up.

I grew up in Wyoming though, and learned not to let it go past 1/4 because that's not usually enough to get you to the next available fuel stop. And when out visiting my folks, I still make sure I can get 100+ miles on whatever fuel I have in the car when passing any given fuel station.

In motorcycles, I *INTENTIONALLY* turn on the reserve to clear out the sediment/water/whatever that's sitting on the bottom of the tank. I believe that most cars/trucks pick up the fuel from the "bottom" of the tank anyway, so any sediment or water will be sucked into the system regardless.

Speaking of sediment, obviously that comes with filling up. If you see a fuel truck at a fuel station, skip that station till the next day. The process of filling the main tanks stirs up the sediment which is then pumped into your tank if you fill up then.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:20 PM

792 posts, read 2,873,661 times
This youtube video settled it for me. EricTheCarGuy visited Airtex and talked to the head of engineering. Low tank question is answered at 9:12

Airtex Engineering Tour - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube

Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I've run the gas down to the bare minimum several times in my ride. I have one of those "miles to empty" indicators" that I've taken down to 2 miles to go and the needle is below E. I don't fear contaminants being in the tank from rust, etc. What concerns me is what comes out of the ground at the gas station. If I see a tanker at the station, I'll drive by and get gas somewhere else. I have no idea if I am being overcautious or just crazy, but that's my habit.
This is a good practice. When the tankers are filling the retailer's underground takns, they stir up sediment which can end up in your gas tank.

Regarding the OP, I rarely let my gas tank get below 1/4, but a couple of times in the past year I did more driving than I expected to and ended up practically driving on fumes. It didn't cause a problem except for a bit of anxiety as I was searching for a filling station before my tank was empty!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:24 PM

289 posts, read 569,866 times
In my 02 Mustang, yes all the time. In my 05, no never.

I simply don't want all of the drama associated with running my 05 lower. If I do run it below 1/4 more than a few times then my check engine light will come on. We will take it to the dealership & they put it on the computer & nothing shows up on the computer but the check engine light goes off anyway. After we get it back from the dealership though my fuel gauge stops working. To get my fuel gauge working again I have to run my battery down. Which means that we then have to jump start the car.

So in my 05 no. I'm convienced that all of my electrical wires should be replaced & that should fix all my problems. However, replacing the electrical would be a bigger pain in the butt then the drama of running the car below 1/4. So, I'll just keep putting gas in the car. But in my 02 I have no problem at all running it below 1/4.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
I consider 1/2 tank to be empty so I refill at 1/2 tank.

Saves a lot of worry.................

Then again our '93 Suburban has a 45 gal tank. About 1/2 is 25 gal so I never run out of fuel.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
Fill 'er up when the low fuel light comes on.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 PM

654 posts, read 3,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I consider 1/2 tank to be empty so I refill at 1/2 tank.

Saves a lot of worry.................

Then again our '93 Suburban has a 45 gal tank. About 1/2 is 25 gal so I never run out of fuel.
Wow that's a large tank. I can't imagine filling that up at current gas prices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive