Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times

Advertisements

He basically just needs to sell the car, and use the proceeds to pay off the remaining principal balance of the loan. That won't hurt his credit at all.

Time to throw an ad for it on craigslist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
if your paying for a car through a finance.

how do you go about canceling the finance before its over in case something happens?

my friend is paying 573 a month for his car, and no longer needs it. He got the car in February for a 5 year finance deal.

he wants out so how does he go about this???

he also refuses to pay another car note simply because he does not want the car no more. Any suggestions?
What the heck is wrong with people?
"I don't want to live up to my financial obligations because I don't want the car no more"?

He should sell the car. Then pay back the loan.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:38 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
What kind of car is it.

And did he not understand the terms of buying and making payments on a car? Stupidity is not an excuse to not pay your bills.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
As Meionted he can sell the car and pay off the loan. He cannot sell the car and continue to make payments on the loan, because no one will buy the car unless the loan is realsed. In some cases, he can also trade the car in on a new car or a newer car, and roll the ovreage on the loan into the new car loan. However, when you do this, you end up paying a whole lot more and at a higher interest rate.

He cannot just "cancel' the loan. When he borrowed themoney to buy the car he made a deal. He promised to reapy the moeny with interest if they loaned him the moeny to buy the car. He cannot just walk away from that promise. Even if the car were stolen or destroyed, he still must repay the loan (either form insurance proceeds or by paying out of his income). A loan on a car is not rent for the car. He owns the car and the lender owns the debt which he must repay. They are completely seperate except that the car is used as a guarantee of part of the debt.

He might be able to get a credit work out company to help him get reduced payments, or get some credit for high interest payments he alread made. I am nto sure how much those groups can actually do. Most of them are scams.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:38 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Your friend signed a legally binding contract and needs to man up to his obligations. A voluntary repo messes up credit just as bad. Sell the car or keep it.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
This was touched on in a prior post but I wanted to extrapolate a bit more. If the price potential buyers are willing to pay on the car is less than what is owed to the bank, the seller needs to have the difference available as cash during the sale because no one will buy a car with a bank lien on it. It is a sketchy situation because the seller will not have the title in hand.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
If the amount owed is not terribly significant, the bank may release the lien on the car, and allow your friend to make payments on the remaining balance as a signature loan. This would work if the loan is with a bank. If not, he should find out the difference, and either have cash on hand, or an arranged signature loan from his credit union or bank for the difference to pay the vehicle finance company at the time of sale. That's what I meant earlier when I said he could continue to pay off the remaining balance, after the car is sold, but it was late when I was typing...and I don't think it came out as clearly as I had thought.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-05-2012, 11:38 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If the amount owed is not terribly significant, the bank may release the lien on the car, and allow your friend to make payments on the remaining balance as a signature loan. This would work if the loan is with a bank.
He's six months into a five-year note with a $573 payment. I'm guessing the payoff is pretty significant, probably close to $30K.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:52 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
He's six months into a five-year note with a $573 payment. I'm guessing the payoff is pretty significant, probably close to $30K.
The difference is the amount to which I was referring, from the sale value and payoff amount. If it's $3-$5k, he should be able to obtain a signature loan for the difference, and make payments on that, as opposed to having the full value in cash.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-05-2012, 12:18 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Why did you*cough***cough*I mean your friend buy the car in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive