Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 AM

19,010 posts, read 27,557,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
All of this is more symptomatic of our horrible driver education system which begets horrible drivers. We are forced to create such rules because the proportion of incompetent drivers increases exponentially each year, not because of traffic volume. If you've ever been to a region or location of this country or of another country where drivers are more competent, you realize that volume isn't the key variable. You can have a heavy flow of drivers, but because they are competent - aware, driving defensively, actively avoiding impeding other drivers - traffic flows easily. We can continue down the road of attempting to change the rules of the road to prevent poor drivers from hurting others or we can attempt to treat the cause of the disorder on the road.
Well, and overall dumming up education, producing ignorants and people with no independent thinking capability.

But you are darn right on driving abilities.

India Driving - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 08:47 AM

19,010 posts, read 27,557,249 times
What gets me, is innate desire of road designers to put solid curbs at 90 degrees protruding into intersections, esp on narrow lanes. Or, those so much beloved "rounded" yellow blocks lines, sticking into intersection, and the only way you can go around them without hitting them, esp in a pickup, is to get into the right hand lane, or take a large circle around them.

What they should do, like they do in some developments, is to do temporary pavement, and let folks drive on it for few days. Then, simply follow the tracks. Have my word, there will be no 90 degree corners anywhere, as cars do not turn on a dime at 90 instantly. They go in arcs.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,116 times
My favorite dumb thing on US roads are signs that say "Speed limit enforced by aircraft"

I've yet to ever see an aircraft land on the highway to write someone a speeding ticket.

What the sign should say is "Speed limit monitored by aircraft"

Old 01-12-2013, 03:08 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
#5. The national 55 mph speed limit. Thankfully, it is no longer in effect. Probably the most oft-broken law in the history of man. Good riddance to that law.

</end rant>

Many states, however, have not raised speed limits back up to pre-55 levels.

Underposted speed limits are THE dumbest thing on US roads.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian Inserection View Post
too bad it cost american tax payers over one hundred billion a year to maintain our roads not to mention almost a trillion dollars a year in order to secure our interests in international oil. The cost for you to drive 100 miles a day is far more than your perceived sixteen dollars.

And how much taxpayer money is needed to subsidize AMTRAK?

Old 01-12-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
They still are not what they were originally. Before 1972 the speed limit in Montana, for example, was "Safe & Sane." In California the speed limit on all the freeways was 75 mph.

And that was when cars were "unsafe at any speed".

The speed limit on the Ohio Turnpike used to be 75 for all vehicles.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,297,782 times
Quote:
#1. This has to be any intersection marked with a "no right turn on red" restriction. If nothing is coming to my left, then why the shouldn't I be able to turn right?
Often this comes down to sight lines. Roads that come in on a curve, are narrow with buildings or other obstacles blocking a clear view, etc. Also where there is heavy pedestrian traffic such as downtown areas.

Quote:
If traffic is truly balanced in all directions, a roundabout would work.
Roundabouts aren't common in America. At busier intersections, they lend themselves to confusion over who should yield to who, holding up entering traffic. Having each car go in turn solves this.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
If a "roundabout" is so good and safe, why have so many of them been replaced on busy intersections with straight intersections and traffic lights??????

Actually, they've proven to be one of the worst headaches ever devised for highways and streets. You'll still find them in the little backwater towns, but in the densely populated areas with high traffic, they're losing ground.
That's because most people don't know what a yield sign means. I prefer roundabouts over traffic signals because if I don't see any oncoming vehicles, I don't have to stop.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:17 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,168 times
If people are too ignorant and inconsiderate to work out how to use a roundabout they shouldn't be driving. Drivers who lack those attributes are the same ones who make life miserable in any other situation on the road. Spend some time in a country that uses roundabouts effectively and you'll soon have nothing but disdain for the standard 4 way stop.

I have the ultimate solution to the poor driving skills of the US (seriously, don't deny this fact). Eliminate collision insurance completely. If you wad your car, your insurance pays for the damage you caused the other driver but fixing your problem comes out of your own pocket. If stupid hurt more there will be less of it.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,297,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I have the ultimate solution to the poor driving skills of the US (seriously, don't deny this fact). Eliminate collision insurance completely. If you wad your car, your insurance pays for the damage you caused the other driver but fixing your problem comes out of your own pocket. If stupid hurt more there will be less of it.
I can only afford the state minimum insurance, which is indeed as you describe it, it only pays for the other person's damage. It makes me a much more careful driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive