Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 06:31 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times

Advertisements

[quote=Stonepa;51761728 2-3 years and you have bubbling. Even (or especially) the aluminum painted beds and tailgates on Ford trucks and SUVs.[/QUOTE]

I have not noticed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 07:59 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBACKAGAIN View Post
Lets clear up a couple of things in the previous post. The 3.0 V6 was in the Tacoma only 1 year in 1995. .
No, it wasn't. Tacoma never got the 3.0, only the 3.4 V6. The older Toyota trucks from 1989-1995 had the 3.0, which isn't such a bad engine as many people believe. There are still many of them on the road with high miles. The worst feature of these trucks, in my opinion, is the propensity for rust, especially the sheet metal of the beds and fenders.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:34 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I have not noticed that.
It's a winter salt thing. In Seattle trucks don't rust. In the NE and northern Midwest they rust like crazy.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:15 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntd06 View Post
60k on a trans flush you are brave lol. It should be done every 20-30k depending on how and what you do with the truck. Its no so much the hp that grenades the trans its the tq. I read yesterday ford is coming out with a 10spd behind the superduty thats good for 1000ft lbs

Its getting silly with how much power they are teying to pump out of small displacement motors. Most people will never tow 32k ...nor do they have a cdl to do so the 6.7 is a good motor but the 5.9 is more durabile
According to the service schedule provided by Ram in the owner's manual (that I am looking at right now), the fluid should be changed at either 60k or 120k depending on how it is used. 60k for severe service and 120k for light duty highway driving. And you never flush, you drain and fill. Flushing pushes contaminates through orifices where they get clogged up and toast the transmission.

Nowhere has any Ram engineer ever recommend a $350 trans fluid change every 20-30k miles. That's old school methodology on the gas burners. I never mentioned HP because that isn't a thing on a diesel. Torque is what a diesel is designed for.

Anyhow, there isn't a Japanese truck on the market that can hold a candle to what one of the Big 3 offers in a diesel pickup.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:20 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
According to the service schedule provided by Ram in the owner's manual (that I am looking at right now), the fluid should be changed at either 60k or 120k depending on how it is used. 60k for severe service and 120k for light duty highway driving. And you never flush, you drain and fill. Flushing pushes contaminates through orifices where they get clogged up and toast the transmission.

Nowhere has any Ram engineer ever recommend a $350 trans fluid change every 20-30k miles. That's old school methodology on the gas burners. I never mentioned HP because that isn't a thing on a diesel. Torque is what a diesel is designed for.

Anyhow, there isn't a Japanese truck on the market that can hold a candle to what one of the Big 3 offers in a diesel pickup.

Yep some people are stuck in the past when it comes to servicing their vehicles, they think the manufacturer is lying to them when to change the fluids and other maintenance to their vehicles. Some still believe 3 months or 3,000 miles oil change and 20,000 miles transmission fluid change yep the manufacturer is out to sabotage their vehicles by providing false service intervals.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:47 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

Yep some people are stuck in the past when it comes to servicing their vehicles, they think the manufacturer is lying to them when to change the fluids and other maintenance to their vehicles. Some still believe 3 months or 3,000 miles oil change and 20,000 miles transmission fluid change yep the manufacturer is out to sabotage their vehicles by providing false service intervals.
You wouldn't believe how many people look at me like I have a third eye when I tell them the oil change interval on my Jeep is 10K. "OH MY GOD!!! YOU'RE GOING TO RUIN IT!" Even when I had my 2001 Cherokee, I changed it once a year with synthetic. That was about 5K miles.

Well, if I do, it's covered under a lifetime service contract through Chrysler. I do my oil changes at the same dealer every time, so there's a record too. I'm pretty sure Chrysler isn't going to set an interval that they're going to have to pony up for the damage on. Only on my bikes do I change the oil every 2-3K or so (or once a year, whichever comes first).

Old 05-07-2018, 06:56 AM

I do tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to the diesels because a failure can be quite costly. That being said.... one oil change place put a 3k mile sticker in my truck and I made him take it out and change it to the Cummins interval of (not to exceed) 7,500 miles. When he tried to argue that it needed a change at 3k I pulled out the manual and showed him. Now, they set my intervals per the manual.

My truck has an oil monitor so I change it when it tells me to. When the emissions equipment was intact and filling the oil full of fuel, those were almost always 4k miles or so. Now that it's gone and the engine no longer "makes oil" it varies based on how I use the truck.

Sometimes that is 4k miles if I've been towing a lot and working the engine and sometimes it's 7k miles if most of my driving has been unloaded highway miles. Computers are smarter than people, so while I keep an eye on it I let the computer do the work.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:20 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
I do tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to the diesels because a failure can be quite costly. That being said.... one oil change place put a 3k mile sticker in my truck and I made him take it out and change it to the Cummins interval of (not to exceed) 7,500 miles. When he tried to argue that it needed a change at 3k I pulled out the manual and showed him. Now, they set my intervals per the manual.

My truck has an oil monitor so I change it when it tells me to. When the emissions equipment was intact and filling the oil full of fuel, those were almost always 4k miles or so. Now that it's gone and the engine no longer "makes oil" it varies based on how I use the truck.

Sometimes that is 4k miles if I've been towing a lot and working the engine and sometimes it's 7k miles if most of my driving has been unloaded highway miles. Computers are smarter than people, so while I keep an eye on it I let the computer do the work.
Pretty amazing they let you get away with removing the emission equipment on your truck. Last time I checked Alabama had the same rules around that as most every other state.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Pretty amazing they let you get away with removing the emission equipment on your truck. Last time I checked Alabama had the same rules around that as most every other state.
You haven't checked then. There is no emissions testing in Alabama and never has been. Most people here with diesel trucks remove the equipment to prolong the life of the truck.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:13 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
You haven't checked then. There is no emissions testing in Alabama and never has been. Most people here with diesel trucks remove the equipment to prolong the life of the truck.
Same in Michigan no emission testing anymore use to have it in the70’s but not no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive