Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are today's cars better looking than the ones of decades past?
Better 48 30.77%
Worse 85 54.49%
No different 23 14.74%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:08 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
This should bring back some memories for all you guys!

http://www.adclassix.com/images/66sunoco260gasoline.jpg
Yes, I remember seeing those signs. And also the "Gulf" station signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 04:21 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
... and, the conversation now has nothing to do with which cars look better.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
... and, the conversation now has nothing to do with which cars look better.
This whole "better" thing means so much more than just looks. It's how they run, drive, perform......everything. I know I'm not the only one to notice a lot of the people misinformed about newer cars and their performance have been knocked down the stairs a time or two already in this thread.

Who the HELL told ya old cars are slow and new cars are faster and cooler???

We'll see about that!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, I remember seeing those signs. And also the "Gulf" station signs.

Steve McQueen - Bullitt - YouTube

Old 09-14-2012, 04:46 PM

427 Cobra test run - YouTube

Old 09-14-2012, 05:03 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
This whole "better" thing means so much more than just looks. It's how they run, drive, perform......everything. I know I'm not the only one to notice a lot of the people misinformed about newer cars and their performance have been knocked down the stairs a time or two already in this thread.

Who the HELL told ya old cars are slow and new cars are faster and cooler???

We'll see about that!
Look at the title of the thread:

"Are today's cars better- or worse-looking than the ones of decades past? Discuss"

Looking. Looking.

I think that you're overlooking the fact that I actually like classic cars - I'm a dyed-in-the-wool car enthusiast with absolutely NO brand, generational, or national loyalties. I just don't understand how you can just say, "you know what? Everything new, sucks. I'm going to stick exclusively with old stuff." It seriously just does not make any sense to me, at all.

Regardless: look, I'll lay it on the line: Fleet, you live in LA. I live in LA. I will meet you in a canyon of your choosing, late at night when there are no cars on the road. I'll follow you and try to keep up one way; you follow me and try to keep up the other It'll be Japanese aluminum versus American steel.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:

"Are today's cars better- or worse-looking than the ones of decades past? Discuss"

Looking. Looking.

I think that you're overlooking the fact that I actually like classic cars - I'm a dyed-in-the-wool car enthusiast with absolutely NO brand, generational, or national loyalties. I just don't understand how you can just say, "you know what? Everything new, sucks. I'm going to stick exclusively with old stuff." It seriously just does not make any sense to me, at all.

Regardless: look, I'll lay it on the line: Fleet, you live in LA. I live in LA. I will meet you in a canyon of your choosing, late at night when there are no cars on the road. I'll follow you and try to keep up one way; you follow me and try to keep up the other It'll be Japanese aluminum versus American steel.
Well, of course people addicted to cell phones, MP3 players, iPods, power everything, ass warmers and other gadgets are going to be more impressed with new cars. I'm not impressed at all. Sure we need them because no one wants to drive their classics in the snow and ice as well as cross country for daily use. That doesn't make them cooler or faster though. I'd lay money on the line some that voted for new cars are talking about their Honda Accord or some other such "blah" car. The really funny thing is most probably ACTUALLY think they could smoke any of the cars I posted in here. Hahaha....lay of the booze and drugs is all I am saying.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Looking. Looking.

415, I didn't buy my cars to race on canyons. As you said, this thread is about styling. But how about a burn-out contest?

Or, let's drive over some rough roads and see which car you feel the bumps less in? Or let's see which car has more chrome and more real metal?

Or, let's see if your car will still be running in 40 years.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Well, of course people addicted to cell phones, MP3 players, iPods, power everything, ass warmers and other gadgets are going to be more impressed with new cars. I'm not impressed at all. Sure we need them because no one wants to drive their classics in the snow and ice as well as cross country for daily use. That doesn't make them cooler or faster though. I'd lay money on the line some that voted for new cars are talking about their Honda Accord or some other such "blah" car. The really funny thing is most probably ACTUALLY think they could smoke any of the cars I posted in here. Hahaha....lay of the booze and drugs is all I am saying.
Speaking of seat warmers, those were available on Cadillacs as far back as 1966. I actually saw a '66 Fleetwood Brougham on eBay which had that option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive