Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are today's cars better looking than the ones of decades past?
Better 48 30.77%
Worse 85 54.49%
No different 23 14.74%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 01:23 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Thank you for standing up and speaking the truth.

I appreciate the fact that, as one poster put it, people tend to be more attracted to the cars they grew up with.

Personally, I thank God that we don't make those old barges anymore. IMHO, most of them were ugly, inefficient, unreliable, and unsafe rolling collisions waiting to happen (such as the Corvair and the Pinto) but they were probably they best that we could produce at the time.

Thanks to current engineering and computer testing, most modern vehicles (whether they are European, American or Japanese) are beautiful, aerodynamic, efficient, and reliable with a strong emphasis on safety and collision survivability for both passengers and pedestrians.
Are you serious? "Collisions waiting to happen? (Which has nothing to do with styling, but with the poor visibility on most modern cars, they are the ones that more fits that description.) I never did care for the Corvair or Pinto but at least they were easy to spot.

Yeah, there sure are some real "beauties" being made today.

Like this "thing."

Or this "gorgeous" car:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
I don't think past cars are better-looking than today's, or vice versa. For me, they're simply different and are a product of their times. While I do find some older cars to be handsome, there are just as many contemporary models that I visually enjoy. Similarly, there are many ugly vintage cars just like today's cars. The boxy 80's cars personally are the coolest around town, mostly the Japanese ones.
'80s Japanese cars? Sorry, but econoboxes don't appeal to me at all.

After all, how can those compare to a '69 Dodge Charger R/T or a '69 Pontiac GTO Judge?

Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

After all, how can those compare to a '69 Dodge Charger R/T or a '69 Pontiac GTO Judge?
One of many favorite parts about a '68 to '70 Dodge Charger is the hideaway headlights. That was state of the art and cooler than cool back then. I'm not sure who started it...but it also found it's way in Pontiac Trans Ams later. Cool-cool-cool.

68 Dodge Charger Hideaway Light Test - YouTube

Old 10-05-2012, 02:02 AM

And she has got to be black...very black...ALL black just like the movie.

http://jimsgarage.files.wordpress.co...pture42ug7.jpg

Old 10-05-2012, 02:16 AM

One thing I always liked about the older Mustang GTs was the trumpet dual exhaust sticking out of the rear panel. It looked cool.

http://www.mustangdreams.com/Deal%20...s/image025.jpg

I also really like the early Mustang GT foglamps and grill that goes with it. It was standard equipment on a factory GT. Probably nearly as many were dealer installed on other cars at the dealership...along with rally packs. It's a must have. It makes or breaks the front end to me. Gotta have it!

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0003_large.jpg

Old 10-05-2012, 02:22 AM

That ^ is one thing I never understood or figured out about Shelby and why he took them off and had a custom emblem made on the GT-350. It's missing something without the large horse and foglight IMO. It looks blank. Awesome car...just needed some dress up.

http://www.netcarshow.com/ford/1965-...llpaper_01.htm

Old 10-05-2012, 02:45 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

Hmmmmm

Speaking of Mr. Shelby

Anybody ever notice, that the drip rail follows the same lines as the '68-70s? I noticed that when I was a kid, and always wondered if it was an intentional nod to a real car.

Hey.....this sucker's got the Turbo II and an intercooler! Good fer 185 pulse pounding horsies!

To be fair, my buddy has one with the boost all pushed up, and for what it is, that little guy hauls ass.

We've knocked more than a few fox body notchbacks (<----my favorite type of fox body) out of the race with it.

What I wouldn't do, to have one of my very own. I litterally GAWK at these things in my city.

Sexy, intimidating.........gives me shivers.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 10-05-2012 at 02:53 AM..

Old 10-05-2012, 02:52 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
One thing I always liked about the older Mustang GTs was the trumpet dual exhaust sticking out of the rear panel. It looked cool.

http://www.mustangdreams.com/Deal%20...s/image025.jpg

Hey RBG, what's with those baffles in the exhaust tips?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Hmmmmm

Speaking of Mr. Shelby

Anybody ever notice, that the drip rail follows the same lines as the '68-70s? I noticed that when I was a kid, and always wondered if it was an intentional nod to a real car.

Hey.....this sucker's got the Turbo II and an intercooler! Good fer 185 pulse pounding horsies!

To be fair, my buddy has one with the boost all pushed up, and for what it is, that little guy hauls ass.

We've knocked more than a few fox body notchbacks (<----my favorite type of fox body) out of the race with it.

What I wouldn't do, to have one of my very own. I litterally GAWK at these things in my city.

Sexy, intimidating.........gives me shivers.
Wow, look at the difference between those phony Chargers and the real one in the last photo! It sure looks mean in black, too!

Old 10-05-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
One of many favorite parts about a '68 to '70 Dodge Charger is the hideaway headlights. That was state of the art and cooler than cool back then. I'm not sure who started it...but it also found it's way in Pontiac Trans Ams later. Cool-cool-cool.
Yes, Dodge really scored big with those '68-'70 Chargers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive