Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Every day I see people who I'm sure are very nice, and smart people make the dumbest moves behind the wheel. I often wonder what they are thinking. Are you willing to admit to any of these and explain why you do what you do?

-Jam on your brakes and switch lanes without using a blinker on a freeway. Even when there are no cars around I see people doing this. Jam on their brakes and swerve over a lane for no reason at all. No ramps in sight.

-Not use your blinker. I see cars that constantly change lanes and merge and really create a hazard because they just don't use their blinker? Are they completely oblivious of other cars around them?

-Tailgate the car in front of you. Does it make any sense whatsoever to follow 20ft behind a car while you are traveling at 60+ mph? Common sense should tell you that not only will you not be able to react to anything that car does, you cannot see anything in front of that car. It's just physics. Why put your life in unnecessary danger?

-Wait until the last 1/8 of a mile to change over 2 lanes for an exit in heavy traffic. Why, why, why? Why not be in the proper lane at least 1 mile in advance? How many brake lights do you cause when you cut in at the last instant? No logic!

-Why do you drive in the right lane unless you are prepared to allow cars to merge onto the freeway? Stupid!

The vast majority of drivers I think are pretty cool and make human errors like I do. But there are those 10% that really cause most of the accidents and traffic jams with their behavior.
You've just listed at least one thing a bad truck driver does, 20 feet behind a car at 60 m.p.h.

Most trucks travel in the right lane, sometimes, some will even let off and let a car in front of them, sometimes not, and, most of the time will let off and allow (one of their own in) do they need to re-train big truck drivers on how to drive? and how to be courteous to everybody?

Yes, yes, yes, construction zone 1.5 miles ahead, right lane closed and traffic was moving, until some driver had to try and change things by beating everyone else up to the one lane merge! why? who knows, let 'em in anyways.

You also left out, you're in the right lane at a stoplight, right turn on red is permitted, but the driver in front of you is on the phone distracted and has their right blinker on to make a right turn too, but you just sit there with the person on the phone. go figure.
These days, there are just too, too many distractions and drivers are not paying attention to what's going on, that's my take.

I also wonder why car makers put a navigation device in the center of a dashboard? Makes the driver take eyes off the road, which is kinda dumb, if a driver takes eyes off the road for 3-6 seconds, alot can happen. more distracted driving.

I drive an older jalopy with idiot lights and a analog speedometer. Are there any cars out there mfd. with a HUD in the front of a driver giving all the information they need? even navigation too? I don't want to go look at new cars because I'm afraid of being coralled by a salesperson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,595 times
Hey, I just wanted to share a story from today that has left me really shaken. I'm waiting in the left turn lane and someone from behind me beeps. The cars on the other side can either go straight or right (this is designated by 1 lane) so I'm guessing the car is beeping because they want me to turn left as other cars were turning right (for clarification, we are turning onto a highway with 3 lanes). The only problem was that the cars turning right didn't have their blinkers on so I assumed they were going straight. The guy behind me continues to inch up and I notice he is growing upset. I then almost turned left into a car because he continued to pressure me. I then became so consumed by what he was doing that I didn't even notice the light had turned red. Once it did, the guy behind me cut me off and turned left in front of me while screaming at me as he passed by. I beeped repeatedly back at the driver and heard some lady waiting at the light screaming at the other driver in my defense. Honestly, what the heck is wrong with some people? His aggressive driver ended up delaying the whole process anyways because I became worried with what he was going to do. What if we turned left at the same time? Also, what if the person turning right (on the other side) goes into the outermost lane? Finally to reiterate, it's not my fault just because those who were turning right DID not have their blinker on. I didn't do anything wrong.. correct?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 PM

21,866 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Maybe you were to cautious, but that's not really anything wrong. We all have our own comfort levels. The only thing you did wrong, or more could have done better, is not allowing yourself to be flustered. Take it as constructive criticism. The guy behind you, for whatever reason, didn't like that you weren't turning. Evaluate whether you would feel comfortable turning left in front of an oncoming car that may be going straight. Maybe the the gap was big enough for him but not for you to be comfortable. Or maybe there were a few gaps you could have turned in had you been a bit more aggressive and still felt safe doing so. After that, don't worry about what he's doing behind you. In that situation, there's nothing you could really do to get out of his way, so don't worry about it.

If I'm in the fast lane in pretty heavy traffic passing a line of cars and someone tailgates me, I take it as a sign that they want to go faster. It's simply constructive criticism. If I'm passing at 70, I'll speed up to 75 or so to get around the line of cars faster. If, however, I'm passing a line of cars and in a line of cars doing 70... well, there's nothing I can do about it, so I don't worry about him. I just leave a larger gap between me and the car in front of me. If we're going 70 and he's two car lengths off my rear end, I'll leave 12 car lengths between me and the car in front of me so there's still the safe distance of 14 car lengths. I'm no longer worried about his tailgating me as there's so much gap between me and the car in front of me that it's still a safe situation for everyone involved. Once I pass the line of cars, I'll then move over and let him tailgate the car in front of me if he so desires.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:57 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Maybe you were to cautious, but that's not really anything wrong. We all have our own comfort levels. The only thing you did wrong, or more could have done better, is not allowing yourself to be flustered. Take it as constructive criticism. The guy behind you, for whatever reason, didn't like that you weren't turning. Evaluate whether you would feel comfortable turning left in front of an oncoming car that may be going straight. Maybe the the gap was big enough for him but not for you to be comfortable. Or maybe there were a few gaps you could have turned in had you been a bit more aggressive and still felt safe doing so. After that, don't worry about what he's doing behind you. In that situation, there's nothing you could really do to get out of his way, so don't worry about it.

If I'm in the fast lane in pretty heavy traffic passing a line of cars and someone tailgates me, I take it as a sign that they want to go faster. It's simply constructive criticism. If I'm passing at 70, I'll speed up to 75 or so to get around the line of cars faster. If, however, I'm passing a line of cars and in a line of cars doing 70... well, there's nothing I can do about it, so I don't worry about him. I just leave a larger gap between me and the car in front of me. If we're going 70 and he's two car lengths off my rear end, I'll leave 12 car lengths between me and the car in front of me so there's still the safe distance of 14 car lengths. I'm no longer worried about his tailgating me as there's so much gap between me and the car in front of me that it's still a safe situation for everyone involved. Once I pass the line of cars, I'll then move over and let him tailgate the car in front of me if he so desires.
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm usually a pretty aggressive driver (I'm 18 so if you go by general stereotypes I kind of fit the aggressive side...yet I'm safe!). I really didn't see a large enough gap to justify beeping. The entire situation was baffling and imo, completely unnecessary. The funny thing is we ended up not turning until the OTHER side's light had turned green lol. He got what he deserved for being an ass.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:02 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm usually a pretty aggressive driver (I'm 18 so if you go by general stereotypes I kind of fit the aggressive side...yet I'm safe!). I really didn't see a large enough gap to justify beeping. The entire situation was baffling and imo, completely unnecessary. The funny thing is we ended up not turning until the OTHER side's light had turned green lol. He got what he deserved for being an ass.
That's what they all say. Some of us know better.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:01 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Every day I see people who I'm sure are very nice, and smart people make the dumbest moves behind the wheel. I often wonder what they are thinking. Are you willing to admit to any of these and explain why you do what you do?

-Jam on your brakes and switch lanes without using a blinker on a freeway. Even when there are no cars around I see people doing this. Jam on their brakes and swerve over a lane for no reason at all. No ramps in sight.

-Not use your blinker. I see cars that constantly change lanes and merge and really create a hazard because they just don't use their blinker? Are they completely oblivious of other cars around them?

-Tailgate the car in front of you. Does it make any sense whatsoever to follow 20ft behind a car while you are traveling at 60+ mph? Common sense should tell you that not only will you not be able to react to anything that car does, you cannot see anything in front of that car. It's just physics. Why put your life in unnecessary danger?

-Wait until the last 1/8 of a mile to change over 2 lanes for an exit in heavy traffic. Why, why, why? Why not be in the proper lane at least 1 mile in advance? How many brake lights do you cause when you cut in at the last instant? No logic!

-Why do you drive in the right lane unless you are prepared to allow cars to merge onto the freeway? Stupid!

The vast majority of drivers I think are pretty cool and make human errors like I do. But there are those 10% that really cause most of the accidents and traffic jams with their behavior.
With the exception of the last one, I do not do any of that. I put my signals on in advance to let everyone know that I intend on changing lanes. I do not just put the signals on as I change lanes, I plan for them and then switch over.

As for the last, I am aggressive when it comes to merging because I do not like when someone comes on the highway at slower speeds so I try to avoid it by getting ahead of them. I have the right a way anyhow and it is the merging traffic responsibility to get into the highway.

If traffic merging is in a proper position, I will let them in. If they are hesitating, I am not going to hesitate with them. I will just continue on by. I should not have to slow down just to make merging easier for some timid driver. I have no problem merging in traffic because I give myself time to accelerate and select my gap rather than attempt to merge with plenty of lanes left unused. I do not cut anyone off [Yield] and speed up when merging into traffic.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:59 AM

38 posts, read 191,195 times
People today are really inconsiderate and tend to do foolish things like this may be just to take out there frustration or they might just be doing it for fun or may be they do not care about people around and neither about themselves and there families either.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
-Jam on your brakes and switch lanes without using a blinker on a freeway. Even when there are no cars around I see people doing this. Jam on their brakes and swerve over a lane for no reason at all. No ramps in sight. I never do this. Not sure why one would, but I have had it happen to me before... stupid people I guess.

-Not use your blinker. I see cars that constantly change lanes and merge and really create a hazard because they just don't use their blinker? Are they completely oblivious of other cars around them? I have accidentally forgotten to use my blinker once or twice in my life. "It happens" I guess. But there are plenty of people who blatantly refuse to use them which I never understood. Especially in HEAVY traffic. The only times I forgot are in very light traffic.

-Tailgate the car in front of you. Does it make any sense whatsoever to follow 20ft behind a car while you are traveling at 60+ mph? Common sense should tell you that not only will you not be able to react to anything that car does, you cannot see anything in front of that car. It's just physics. Why put your life in unnecessary danger? The only times I have ever tailgated is because I came up onto the car going much faster than traffic was going and thus I slowed down or a couple of times when I got really pissed at the guy. But even then it was only for a few seconds cuz I dont need to rear end anyone. I always get honked at because I am not following the cars in front of me close enough. I will ride the left lane, but I will follow the 1 car length for every 10mph rule. People behind get pissy as though I am "cruising" in the left lane which I am not since I am keeping up with traffic.

-Wait until the last 1/8 of a mile to change over 2 lanes for an exit in heavy traffic. Why, why, why? Why not be in the proper lane at least 1 mile in advance? How many brake lights do you cause when you cut in at the last instant? No logic! I have done this ONCE. I was running late for work and my mind spaced and I almost missed my turn on the highway which would have meant at least another 20 minutes of driving to get there. I regretted it then, and ever since.

-Why do you drive in the right lane unless you are prepared to allow cars to merge onto the freeway? Stupid! I will allow the cars to merge if its their turn, but not the whole right lane of traffic. I hate when people ride the shoulder to try and merge... bastards.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:12 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
I don't understand the non use of turning signals. To me, using your turning signals should be as natural as getting dressed every day. Lazziness and unattentiveness must be the culprit.

Quote:
I do tailgate, but I only tailgate when I'm involved in another huge pet peeve of a situation.............and that is someone clogging the left lane with no intent to pass, or someone intentionally not allowing me to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive