Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:53 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times

Advertisements

Every day I see people who I'm sure are very nice, and smart people make the dumbest moves behind the wheel. I often wonder what they are thinking. Are you willing to admit to any of these and explain why you do what you do?

-Jam on your brakes and switch lanes without using a blinker on a freeway. Even when there are no cars around I see people doing this. Jam on their brakes and swerve over a lane for no reason at all. No ramps in sight.

-Not use your blinker. I see cars that constantly change lanes and merge and really create a hazard because they just don't use their blinker? Are they completely oblivious of other cars around them?

-Tailgate the car in front of you. Does it make any sense whatsoever to follow 20ft behind a car while you are traveling at 60+ mph? Common sense should tell you that not only will you not be able to react to anything that car does, you cannot see anything in front of that car. It's just physics. Why put your life in unnecessary danger?

-Wait until the last 1/8 of a mile to change over 2 lanes for an exit in heavy traffic. Why, why, why? Why not be in the proper lane at least 1 mile in advance? How many brake lights do you cause when you cut in at the last instant? No logic!

-Why do you drive in the right lane unless you are prepared to allow cars to merge onto the freeway? Stupid!

The vast majority of drivers I think are pretty cool and make human errors like I do. But there are those 10% that really cause most of the accidents and traffic jams with their behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
People...are inconsiderate....i have nothing more...

Old 09-12-2012, 10:33 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Every day I see people who I'm sure are very nice, and smart people make the dumbest moves behind the wheel. I often wonder what they are thinking. Are you willing to admit to any of these and explain why you do what you do?

-Jam on your brakes and switch lanes without using a blinker on a freeway. Even when there are no cars around I see people doing this. Jam on their brakes and swerve over a lane for no reason at all. No ramps in sight. HAVE NEVER DONE THAT, ALWAYS GO TO NEXT EXIT THE FEW TIMES I'VE MISSED MY TURN OFF.

-Not use your blinker. I see cars that constantly change lanes and merge and really create a hazard because they just don't use their blinker? Are they completely oblivious of other cars around them?
ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE THIS HAPPENS, BUT 98.8% OF THE TIME SIGNALS ARE USED

-Tailgate the car in front of you. Does it make any sense whatsoever to follow 20ft behind a car while you are traveling at 60+ mph? Common sense should tell you that not only will you not be able to react to anything that car does, you cannot see anything in front of that car. It's just physics. Why put your life in unnecessary danger? LEFT LANE BANDIT WILL GET THIS TREATMENT IF THEY REFUSE TO MOVE OVER. AS I AGE AND MELLOW THIS DOES NOT OCCUR AS MUCH

-Wait until the last 1/8 of a mile to change over 2 lanes for an exit in heavy traffic. Why, why, why? Why not be in the proper lane at least 1 mile in advance? How many brake lights do you cause when you cut in at the last instant? No logic! USED TO DO THIS ON HIGHWAY I TRAVEL OFTEN. IMPATIENCE ON MY PART. LAST 8+ YEARS I DO IT EARLIER AND BIDE MY TIME

-Why do you drive in the right lane unless you are prepared to allow cars to merge onto the freeway? Stupid! NEVER

The vast majority of drivers I think are pretty cool and make human errors like I do. But there are those 10% that really cause most of the accidents and traffic jams with their behavior.
CAn we also add drivers that do not turn on headlights when it is raining or visibility is reduced?
The morons who sit in the left lane on a free flowing highway and don't move over to the right?
The idiots who don't look down the road to notice the traffic light a block away just turned red so they zoom off just to get there and wait 10 seconds earlier? Or tailgate me?
ANd the phone user who is as dangerous as someone driving after drinking. Smartphone is such an oxymoron at times.
Last but not least the a@@wipe who does not know how to share the road and give me my legal 3' passing zone when I am on my bike-and we're not talking major highway, we're talking impatience because they may loose 10-50 seconds getting around me. What happens to your license, insurance and conscience if you hit me?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:19 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Some people are just bad at driving. They do the best they can, and their best is pretty ugly.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Intelligence is not spread equally among homo sapiens, unfortunately many are short changed.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:26 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Intelligence is not spread equally among homo sapiens, unfortunately many are short changed.
I would argue there are some folks with modest IQ's that could drive circles around some very high IQ individuals.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

-Jam on your brakes and switch lanes without using a blinker on a freeway. Even when there are no cars around I see people doing this. Jam on their brakes and swerve over a lane for no reason at all. No ramps in sight. No, never. I can't see any reason to do so, unless one is dodging an imaginary animal.

-Not use your blinker. I see cars that constantly change lanes and merge and really create a hazard because they just don't use their blinker? Are they completely oblivious of other cars around them? I use my blinker if there is any chance that what I'm about to do may affect any driver or person around me. I do not use my blinker on empty roads, in open parking lots, or any other place where my actions cannot affect anyone else.

-Tailgate the car in front of you. Does it make any sense whatsoever to follow 20ft behind a car while you are traveling at 60+ mph? Common sense should tell you that not only will you not be able to react to anything that car does, you cannot see anything in front of that car. It's just physics. Why put your life in unnecessary danger? At times, not being closer than recommended to another car means I will not be letting in numerous other vehicles. At some point, a line needs to be drawn. But no, I don't just ride down the highway parked on someone's bumper.

-Wait until the last 1/8 of a mile to change over 2 lanes for an exit in heavy traffic. Why, why, why? Why not be in the proper lane at least 1 mile in advance? How many brake lights do you cause when you cut in at the last instant? No logic! Never. See the paragraph immediately above this one.

-Why do you drive in the right lane unless you are prepared to allow cars to merge onto the freeway? Stupid! You're supposed to be in the right lane, AND prepared to allow others to merge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
CAn we also add drivers that do not turn on headlights when it is raining or visibility is reduced? I do this.
The morons who sit in the left lane on a free flowing highway and don't move over to the right? If I'm going faster than the cars in the right lane, I'm not going to swerve in and out every time I pass a vehicle. But I never hold up a left lane vehicle.
The idiots who don't look down the road to notice the traffic light a block away just turned red so they zoom off just to get there and wait 10 seconds earlier? Or tailgate me? They give me a chuckle, as I coast up next to them.
ANd the phone user who is as dangerous as someone driving after drinking. Smartphone is such an oxymoron at times. It's not the phone that isn't smart.
Last but not least the a@@wipe who does not know how to share the road and give me my legal 3' passing zone when I am on my bike-and we're not talking major highway, we're talking impatience because they may loose 10-50 seconds getting around me. What happens to your license, insurance and conscience if you hit me?
Hope that helps.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
My pet peeve are dolts who refuse to accept that they can't buck traffic and won't go a little out of their way to turn around. Example. We're stopped at a traffic light yesterday which tends to back up in the afternoon. On our right is a business. The guy stops in the other lane and wants to pull into the business by making a left. Of course we're at the red light and theres a line so he can't until the light goes green and oncoming traffic moves and somebody lets him in. So he stops all the traffic behind him, back to the intersection preventing people from moving ahead with the green. Is he just a moron, or an uncaring jerk. We get the green light and he pulls into the business( SLOWLY), the guy behind me was nice enough to let him go. But I guess due to the angle he had to adjust his turn. If I wanted to get in that business, I'd have thought nothing about driving up the road a quarter mile, turning around then driving back. And it was closed so I'm not sure why he wanted to go in there anyway. Courtesy, people!
My other pet peeve is when you're in the left passing lane because you're going to make a left a short distance ahead and doing the speed limit. Behind you comes Sir Speedy who is irked that he has to change lanes to pass you. I'm sorry, I'm not going to wait until the last minute to change lanes and risk missing my exit and I'm not going to go faster than I want to to accomodate somebody who wants to go 10MPH + over the speed limit.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:18 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I would argue there are some folks with modest IQ's that could drive circles around some very high IQ individuals.
You sound defensive.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I HAVE DONE SOME OF THESE IN SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCES.

-Jam on your brakes and switch lanes without using a blinker on a freeway. Even when there are no cars around I see people doing this. Jam on their brakes and swerve over a lane for no reason at all. No ramps in sight.

TESTING MY BRAKES. IF I SWERVE OVER A LANE IT IS BECAUSE SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THEM AND THEY FAILED THE TEST. HOWEVER YOU WOULD NOT SEE ME DO THIS SINCE AS YOU SAID THERE ARE NO CARS AROUND. OR IF A DEER OR DOG OR COYOTE, R PERSON OR SOMETHING JUMPS OUT IN FRONT OF ME. AN ONCOMING CAR LOSES CONTROL AND COMES ACROSS THE FREEWAY INTO MY LANE. THE WHEEL BEARING SUDDENLY SIEZES UP ON ONE SIDE ONLY. MAYBE IF A MUGGER SUDDENLY POPPED UP IN THE BACK SEAT WITH A KNIFE OR GUN.

MY BIRD HAD CLIMBED UP ON MY LEFT HAND AND IF I MOVED IT SUDDENLY DOWN TO THE BLINKER SWITCH HE WOULD BITE ME. OR SOMEONE SUDDENLY SLOWS DOWN IN FORNT OF ME AND I HAVE TO DOWNSHIFT WITH MY RIGHT HAND WHILE CONTROLLING THE CAR WITH ME LEFT AND THERE IS NO TIME TO FLICK THE TURN SIGNAL TO AVOID A COLLISION. OR MY RIGHT HAND IS BUSY HOLDING A PAD ON A CHILD'S BLEEDING HEAD AND MY LEFT IS BUSY CONTROLLING THE CAR. OR MY BLINKER IS NOT WORKING. OR I AM DRIVING SOME FUNKY RENTED IMPORTED CAR AND THE BLINKER IS NOT WHERE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE AND I DID NOT FIGURE IT OUT UNTIL JSUT THEN. i KNOW ON ONE OR TOW OCCAISIONS i HAVE TO CHANGE LANES IN A HURRY AND I SIMPLY MISSED THE SWITCH. I AM LISTENING TO SOMEONE TALK OR OTHERWISE PARTIALLY DISTRACTED AND SIMPLY FORGET (PEOPLE WHO SAY THEY NEVER EVER DRIVE WITH ANY DISTRACTIONS ARE LIARS). PROBABLY SOME OTHER INSTANCES AS WELL.

-Tailgate the car in front of you. Does it make any sense whatsoever to follow 20ft behind a car while you are traveling at 60+ mph? Common sense should tell you that not only will you not be able to react to anything that car does, you cannot see anything in front of that car. It's just physics. Why put your life in unnecessary danger?

NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I CANNOT EVEN IMAGINE A SET OF CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE I WOULD DO THIS. MAYBE IF THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME CUT IN WITH NO SPACE AND THE CAR BEHIND IS TAILGATING SO I CANNOT BRAKE, THEN I AM STUCK TAILGATING FOR A SHORT TIME AS I GRADUALLY EASE OFF. OH ONE OTHER. iF THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME IS TOWING MY CAR WITH A CHAIN.

-Wait until the last 1/8 of a mile to change over 2 lanes for an exit in heavy traffic. Why, why, why? Why not be in the proper lane at least 1 mile in advance? How many brake lights do you cause when you cut in at the last instant? No logic!

WHEN I DO NOT KNOW WHERE I AM GOING AND THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY SIGNS MARKING THE EXIT UNTIL JUST BEFORE THE EXIT. WHEN I TRY FOR A MILE OR MORE TO GET OVER, BUT NO ONE WILL LET ME IN THEN I FIND AN OPENING. WHEN I FALL ASLEEP WHILE DRIVING AND WAKE SUDDENLY AND REALIZE I HAVE TO GET OFF THE FREEWAY RIGHT NOW BEFORE I KILL SOMEONE. ONCE WHEN I WAS IN A REALLY DESPERATE HURRY TO CATCH A PLANE THERE WAS A HUGE LONG LINE OF BARELY MOVING CARS AT THE EXIT AND I DECIDED I JUST HAD TO BE AN A HOLE THIS ONE TIME.

-Why do you drive in the right lane unless you are prepared to allow cars to merge onto the freeway? Stupid!
I DO NOT DRIVE IN THE RIGHT LANE. MAYBE FOR A HALF MILE OR WHATEVER IT TAKES ME TO GET OVER AFTER ENTERING. IN HEAVY TRAFFIC WHERE PEOPLE ARE NOT ALLOWING INCOMING DRIVERS TO MERGE IN SOMETIMES I WILL GO INTO THE RIGHT LANE AND SLOW DOWN TO CREATE AN OPENING TO LET SOME OF THEM IN. IF SOMEONE IS REALLY HAULING, I MAY SCOOT OVER TO LET THEM PASS, BUT OTHERWISE I DO NOT DRIVE IN THE RIGHT LANE. 90% OF THE TIME I DRIVE IN THE LEFT LANE. IN THE UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE I AM NOT GOING FASTER THAN TRAFFIC IN THE MIDDLE LANE THEN I WILL USE THE MIDDLE LANE. IF THERE ARE ONLY TWO LANES, I AM PRETTY MUCH ALWAYS GOING FASTER THAN THE CARS IN THE RIGHT LANE AND I STAY IN THE LEFT LANE. IF IT WERE TO HAPPEN IT WOULD BE WHILTE I WAS ENTERING OR EXITING AND I WAS JUST NO PAYING PROPER ATTENTION FOR SOME REASON. PERHAPS WHILE FOCUSING ON TRYING TO FIND AN OPENING TO GET INTO THE NEXT LANE AND ANOTHER ENTRANCE COMES UP UNNOTICED. BUT THERE HAVE BEEN A TIME OR TOW WHERE I SAID "OH S#&T! I JUST CUT THAT GUY OFF. OOOPS.

I THINK IT IS ONLY 1% OR 2% THAT REGULARLY ENGAGE IN SUCH BEHAVIOURS AND THE REMAINDER DO IT ONCE IN A WHILE FOR PARTICULAR REASONS. HOWEVER WITH SO MANY DRIVERS ONT HE ROAD, YOU ARE GOING TO CATCH SEVERAL OF THEM ON THEIR ONE BAD INSTANCE OF THE MONTH OR YEAR. IF ANYONE SAID THEY NEVER CHANGE LANES WITHOUT FAILING TO SIGNAL, OR DID ANY OF THOSE OTHER THINGS, I WOULD BE INCLUDEIND TO BELIEVE THEY ARE LYING OR JUST LIVING IN A FANTASY VIEW OF THEIR OWN HABITS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive