Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:31 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
How do you find someone's address from their License Plates? I googled "address of [My License Plate] IL state Plate" - and the results came up with NO ADDRESS. There were just links to the IL License Plate website.

And where do you buy fake plates made to order?

If you can't find these I bet a thief can't do this stuff!
What gives you the idea that people who are actually engaged in this type of thing haven't already answered all of these questions long ago? Usually, accomplished professionals are better at their trade than amateurs. That goes for all trades, legal and otherwise.

As far as getting fake plates made to order, look for one of those tourist type shops that prints fake vanity plates. In a lot of states, license plates are already printed on plastic just like the tourist shops use. All you need is a registration sticker and you're done. Someone's probably tackled that angle, too, even though you might not be able to find your local counterfeiters emporium in the yellow pages, or on the internet.

Finding the address associated with the plate is as easy as running a DMV query. Employees of several state agencies can do it. Of course, none of them would ever run a plate and give the results to anyone else for a reason not immediately related to their job, because that would be illegal. And as state employees, they would never do anything illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Simple answer they're paranoid ****-tards, but yet freely give up TMI on Facebook.
I agree with that. They put WAY too much information on the internet for all to see. Reminds me of the bank robber who robbed a bank wearing a helmet to hide his face...and he had his name on the back of the helmet.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's just as silly as the 555-numbers that every movie phone has. So what if somebody in a movie said by coincidence my 7-digit number? There are hundreds of people with my number, one in each area code. What do they think people are going to do, go to a movie and write down a number and trace it to my house and come and try to blow up my house because they think Hannibal Lecter lives here?
Try telling that to people that have a 867-5309 phone number, all sorts of morons calling them up at 3am asking for "Jenny".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Of course, you could always do this:
Why use tape when you have kids to hold things up. I wonder if they have there kids holding up pictures inside the house, after all who has time to look for a nail to hang a picture.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 AM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
The only time it would make any sense to hid the info would be if you were selling something really expensive live a Ferrari or Rolls Royce. I think that would be about the only time someone would try to track a seller down. If a thief wants to steal a BMW or Benz all they have to do is hang out in any grocery store parking lot and just follow the person home.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
I don't see much advantage in hiding plate numbers. Same people who do that are probably the same people who use steering wheel locks and locking gas caps (the high anxiety type). Bottom line is if someone wants to screw with your vehicle they are going to do it, the only thing that YOU can do to prevent that is to park/store it in a safe location.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Maybe their trying to hide from those scanners that cop cars now have. Cops here often go through our parking lot and scanning all of the plates. Just a guess.
Please ignore my post above. I think I walked away from the computer and came back and posted the above, forgetting what the topic was.

As far as craigslist, or online ads, I would probably blur out my plates, even if it seems a waste of time to people here. Maybe it makes me "feel" safer even it might not actually be safer.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:20 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
The main reason people do it is to prevent license plate "ID" theft. As others have said it is relatively easy to obtain a fake plate and even fake registration documents. This can make a stolen car become legit by hiding its true origins and using the assumed information. While someone could get this information just by driving around, an internet listing makes it much easier. The internet listing will often contain important information like the year, make, model, mileage and even VIN number. Put all that info together and you can turn a stolen car into a semi-legit one. This is rare but it does happen.

The second reason to cover it is anonymity on the internet. Most of us wouldn't post our full name and address on this website or any other. When you post a picture that has your license plate number in it people can get that information relatively easily. In some states it's as easy as going to the DMV or calling them. If someone really wants the info bad enough they can just go to a website like this:

License Plate Lookup | License Plate Search

It usually costs around $29 or so, but is easy enough to do. So, if someone wanted to find you this would be an easy way to go about it if you had posted your license plate number online, which is basically akin to posting a photo of your drivers license.

You will most often see the "cover up" done on enthusiast websites where the concern is not always someone finding out your identity, but perhaps targeting your car. On enthusiast sites people often list the modifications they have done to the car. Say, someone just put a brand new supercharger on their Mustang and then decided to post photos of the car with the license plate online. That car is a much more tempting target, because now it is not just a car to steal, but one that has known expensive modifications that can easily be sold or used by someone else.

Overall, it's not a major issue, but if you aren't willing to post your full name and address online, don't post your license plate number.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
That website is either lying or violating federal law under the Drivers Privacy Protection Act: 18 USC § 2721 - Prohibition on release and use of certain personal information from State motor vehicle records | LII / Legal Information Institute

Old 09-18-2012, 03:07 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Read the law and then tell me how many exclusion subsections we could cobble together to skirt around it. For that website, I'm going to pick (8) with a healthy dose of (2), (3 A/B) and might as well toss in (14) in most states.

Then we can round it all out by recognizing the exemptions provided in (11) and (12) based on the fact most states have a default 'allowed' release position of this information.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:14 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Because they see other people do it. Make no sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive