Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:36 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Many people cover their license plates with plastic covers, sold in auto-supply stores. Either gray, blue, or yellow tinted. These covers were designed ONLY for cars in dealers' showrooms and are otherwise illegal where I live, and yet I see them often. I assume drivers use them to avoid identification by law enforcement.

There is also a kind of spray you can easily send away for, that makes your plates very shiny, so the numbers cannot be read by speeding/ red light enforcement cameras. But using this spray is also illegal.
And they are illegal in most states, so take your chance with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 06:38 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Obviously he never heard that making newspapers is bad for the environment so hence banned in CA.
You nor to read our papers especially on Sat and Sun.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
We have a law here that says no part of your tag can be covered with a plate holder if it covers any of the information on it. Problem is there is NO enforcement.We got plenty of people riding around all the time who dont have the right tag or a fake/altered tag. These criminals need to be arrested.....

Old 09-22-2012, 08:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
It's not a primary offense, it's a 2ndary offense.
This means they don't usually pull you over for just that.
But they could use it as a reason to pull you over if they suspect you are in violation of some other law but don't have enough probable cause to act on it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
We have a law here that says no part of your tag can be covered with a plate holder if it covers any of the information on it. Problem is there is NO enforcement.We got plenty of people riding around all the time who dont have the right tag or a fake/altered tag. These criminals need to be arrested.....

Old 09-23-2012, 10:07 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I had a plate frame once that covered my state name. Wouldn't be a big deal on a standard issue plate, but I had a rare special issue plate at the time. Customs agent going into Canada had to ask me what state I was from...

Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 AM

441 posts, read 1,487,131 times
Quote:
Read the law and then tell me how many exclusion subsections we could cobble together to skirt around it. For that website, I'm going to pick (8) with a healthy dose of (2), (3 A/B) and might as well toss in (14) in most states.

Then we can round it all out by recognizing the exemptions provided in (11) and (12) based on the fact most states have a default 'allowed' release position of this information.
There was a time not that long ago, I would send the DMV $250 and request info for vin#s for a 4 county area. I would receive names addresses tag# for over 4500 registered cars. I did this for mailers for quite a few years. Congress passed a privacy law making this harder to do, but I was told by the DMV that I could still obtain this info in certain situations. Criminal minded people are usually thrifty enough to figure out a slant to obtain this info. It is there and and it is considered public record.
A criminal will use what ever info they can either to obtain stuff or merely as a way to con someone. They might see something in the background of a picture that they would be interested in. Personally I don't trust anyone anymore. Not paranoid, just proactive!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
They could come steal the car, they could find where you live and break in to your house.
They can come to my house and break in without knowing my license number. They can look my address up in the phone book.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:34 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
There were duplicate plates to mine that were running around Chicago highways going through the ipass lane. That was an ordeal.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:56 PM

170 posts, read 316,284 times
What if they had a modified car? Wouldn't you like to block out the plates so no one knows where you live?

Old 08-18-2013, 12:52 PM

641 posts, read 1,020,269 times
Quote:

The second reason to cover it is anonymity on the internet. Most of us wouldn't post our full name and address on this website or any other.
lmfaoo Facebook much? Just reading through this old thread, bottom line is people are IDIOTS and think they are being safe, but then will give all info on twitter, fb, instagram
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive