Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 07:16 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,650 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was recently an idiot and hit a poll in my parking garage backing out . To be fair, I'm very new to the area/apt complex and am not used to the garage! But alas, the damage is done.

I am in need of (and have been quoted) that I need the front left fender replaced and obviously blended to match my door.

My question to you all (since this is a new experience, and in my measly five years of driving have never hit a thing!), is should I trust a friend of a friend to replace the left panel for $100 less than shops are quoting me, and can do same day repairs? The shop will take about 3-4 days and not offer me any sort of shuttle service. I live in an area where I can go without my car for a few days, but 4 may be pushing it.

A little background: 2011 Toyota Corolla with about 3 years of payment left on the vehicle. This was my fault, but I am not reporting it to insurance since it seems to be less than/on par with my $500 deductible. Since I'm young, I'm thinking my premium would increase far too much for this repair to be worth it.

My father who has used my brother/his friends to fix his cars the past 10 years has told me that this is a very minor, foolproof repair and that as long as the paint is blended adequately, it should be fine. This guy comes highly recommended from a friend. I'm 7 hours away from my brother, or I'd hire him to do it!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 07:22 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Is he a professional or just a home mechanic?

I needed a left front fender, bumper, grill and all of the molding and such that is involved replaced on my Jeep and my boyfriend did it and it looks just like it was done by a professional. He has been working on cars all his life, so I guess that helps, but he is not in the auto industry.

My brother is an auto body/paint guy but is terribly busy. He ordered all the parts for me and I gave him the money and it was done.

He did have one of his guys paint the parts that needed painting. The only thing with that is that my Jeep is a 98 and the new doesn't match the old............so I just speed through the mud! wahahahahahaha!

No.... there isn't a terrible difference.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Is he a professional or just a home mechanic?
He is a home mechanic in the sense that he works for himself. He fixes cars for his living as far as I know, just works by his own reputation.

I'm not all that worried about the paint matching since my car is still the new toyota model (so paint/parts should still probably be pretty current).

I'm thinking I may just take the risk and go with it. I'm going out of country soon for a few weeks and I want to get this taken care of.

I'm just kind of worried about the whole lack of warranty thing, since he isn't an estabilshed shop...

Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM

458 posts, read 1,249,423 times
Replacing the fender is easy (usually). The painting is the tough part. So if you're confident in his ability to paint it, it's an easy repair.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:55 AM

Well, he said he has painted before, and that he will match my paint with the code given on the car at the paint shop.

I just get overly nervous when anything costs me over $100!

You guys have been helpful though.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:44 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
First of all you want the repair to be done correctly and NOT noticeable . Replacing a fender (if nothing behind it is bent) is easy but as the other guy said matching the paint is the issue. The paint on you car is not something that can be matched with just one spray can. The paint has a colored base coat. step 2 a color coat and step 3 a clear coat to make it shine and protect the paint.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Either take what you get from your 'friend" or pay the professional shop to do the job correctly. Given you are a newish driver I suggest paying for the work out of pocket and not telling the Insurance company.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,535 times
You'll need a downdraft spray booth and a extremely high quality HVLP spray gun.

Don't have it?

Don't let them do the work.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:55 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,535 times
This one might be ok. Then again...they might laugh at me and call it a cheapy.Woodworking Specials

That's near $600. Also they use heat to bake on new paint and clear coat. The days of quality garage and driveway paint jobs are over if they are using modern finishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive