Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:04 PM

4,781 posts, read 10,530,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The question is......

Do you live near enough to work, stores and friends that you really could use a bicycle instead of a car to get to some , or all, of them??
Ah, that's 'the question'...
No, No, & No.

I will probably drive all 3 of our cars this weekend/next week at some point, and I plan on riding all 3 of my m'cycles this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 07:36 PM

780 posts, read 2,905,850 times
H3ll n0

Old 09-20-2012, 11:12 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,322,526 times
Quote:
The question is......

Do you live near enough to work, stores and friends that you really could use a bicycle instead of a car to get to some , or all, of them??
No, nearest store is 8 miles away and a 800' elevation change, not exactly something you want to bike and bike back with a bag of grocery's, especially since there are no shoulders and drivers around here suck.

In any case I like to drive, why should I ditch my car (truck actually) for a day, much less a week?

Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 AM

11,548 posts, read 52,903,008 times
Quote:
The question is......

NO, NO, and NO.

For me, it's 30+ miles of country roads to stores and my business requires traveling to client meetings across 5 states. Even my post office is 9 miles away on rough dirt country roads which are decidely not bike friendly.

But in keeping with your "ditch the car" concept yesterday, I FLEW my airplane to a meeting with a client group yesterday. Got a 25 mph headwind on the way up there so it was a little slow, 2.7 hours enroute. Came back with the tailwind, 2 hours wheels up to wheels down, seeing 170 mph over the ground a few times per the GPS. The fuel burn worked out to be several gallons less than if I'd driven my van to the meeting ... and it was a one-day business trip rather than a three-day business trip. So I'd say that I kept with the spirit of your "ditch the car" concept of saving gasoline ....

How long do you think that trip would have been by bicycle, t-wad? About 350 miles each way due to having to stay on the roads instead of being able to go direct point A to B, with the headwinds and crosswinds and buffeting from the gusts that frequently exceeded 25 mph? Not counting all the uphill and downhill elevation changes totalling many thousands of feet? Or the motel bills enroute?

Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,439,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
NO, NO, and NO.

For me, it's 30+ miles of country roads to stores and my business requires traveling to client meetings across 5 states. Even my post office is 9 miles away on rough dirt country roads which are decidely not bike friendly.

But in keeping with your "ditch the car" concept yesterday, I FLEW my airplane to a meeting with a client group yesterday. Got a 25 mph headwind on the way up there so it was a little slow, 2.7 hours enroute. Came back with the tailwind, 2 hours wheels up to wheels down, seeing 170 mph over the ground a few times per the GPS. The fuel burn worked out to be several gallons less than if I'd driven my van to the meeting ... and it was a one-day business trip rather than a three-day business trip. So I'd say that I kept with the spirit of your "ditch the car" concept of saving gasoline ....

How long do you think that trip would have been by bicycle, t-wad? About 350 miles each way due to having to stay on the roads instead of being able to go direct point A to B, with the headwinds and crosswinds and buffeting from the gusts that frequently exceeded 25 mph? Not counting all the uphill and downhill elevation changes totalling many thousands of feet? Or the motel bills enroute?
Why so mad?

Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,118,135 times
No thanks, it's to hard to haul fire wood using my bike.

Our daughter and husband and 2 grand kids are moving to their new home so No.

Better luck next year

Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,578,439 times
Summary: For the vast majority of people ditching the car is not feasible.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:26 AM

11,548 posts, read 52,903,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Why so mad?
Keep in mind the premise of the thread was a "double-dog dare" by t-wad ...

Question for you: How come you've singled out my response to the "dare" when so many others have posted that not only are their answers to all the questions "NO", but they are heading out to drive all of their consumptive vehicles, ranging from 10 mpg supercharged V-10's to a host of other motor vehicles?

Not mad, just being realistic about the circumstances for a lot of the land area & population of the USA.

Happy to help support the concept of getting out of my car for the day. It was a fun ride and I saved gas, too.

quoting SD4020: "Summary: For the vast majority of people ditching the car is not feasible."

PS: when I was of an age and circumstances presented where I could ride my bicycle 100+ miles per week rather than use a car for business and recreation, I did so. But that's a half-century ago and HUTD ... you may also find yourself someday not physically or situationally able to ride a bicycle in lieu of other practical, functional means of transportation for your needs. "one size fits all" solutions aren't.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-21-2012 at 10:37 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 10:29 AM

9,611 posts, read 21,135,113 times
Quote:
The question is......

31 miles to work, 8 miles to the nearest store. I don't have any friends. So, no to all three.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:39 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,946,671 times
I probably could ditch the car, but no way will I do that. I'm a car enthusiast, so I like driving. Plus, it's an environment thing, which makes me want to drive even more, for spite. Jeremy Clarkson's take on it is pretty much sums up how I feel about it: when told by a guest on Top Gear that he needed to be environmentally aware, he said 'I'm aware of the environment, and I'm still not interested.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive