Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:40 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I live here in Colorado where this was filmed and yes it is legal to cross the yellow line to pass a bike.
And if you had watched the video, you would have seen a white car that leglly passed the SUV and the bikers WHO WERE LEGALLY RIDING ON THE SHOULDER!
Care to cite the law? While you're at find the defination of a road shoulder.

There was NO SHOULDER on that stretch of road. 8" is hardly a shoulder to ride on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:41 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
^^^
Charming!

You certainly are the poster child of a becoming a better person. Instead of just giving way and having no problems with the hundreds of cyclists I drive by every week I will be wishing for their children to have to be planning funerals needlessly by yahoos who can't just share the road.

Who thinks they own the road?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
No, as I put it simple words earlier... It is not feasable. Most people have 15 or more miles to commute to work, do their shopping or whatever else. Not lazy, that a bike is not the best means to get from point a to B. Furthermore, schedules don't always line up with the scedules offered by public transportation.
I don't disagree that for many people a bike is not feasible for most transportation needs.
But I also thinks it is sad that a vast majority of people couldn't walk or bike any distance if they had to.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
^^^
Charming!

You certainly are the poster child of a becoming a better person. Instead of just giving way and having no problems with the hundreds of cyclists I drive by every week I will be wishing for their children to have to be planning funerals needlessly by yahoos who can't just share the road.

Who thinks they own the road?

The yahoos who share the road ride two wheel, and well, yes four wheels. There are other times when 4 wheelers can't move due to oncoming traffic. The point is: a 2 lane road with no shouldn't is not the best place to ride a bike.

Why take an unnecessary risk? And when you do why is it the 4 wheelers fault?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
I tried walking to the gym once from home. 1 mile walk one way. Should have been straightforward except the sidewalk is adjacent to a major roadway where people drive at much higher rate of speed than posted. Then there was the uncertainty of divining the actions of drivers although I had the right-of-way at intersections in the crosswalk. Five in total.

I typically walk 1 mile in 13.20 at the track but this sojourn ended being over 30 minutes. No thanks. Too much stress in view of how people drive. In Miami we place tiny crosses by the roadside to mark a fatality. I notice they tend to occur frequently around bus stops and pedestrian walking areas. A number of occasions during the walk I looked over my shoulder when engine noises sounded much louder and closer than they should have for the posted speed limit. I prefer to have the protection of a car frame/shell around me when venturing close to traffic.

Last edited by Felix C; 09-21-2012 at 11:33 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 11:01 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:

Because the law is on the side of the cyclist. You must share. You must treat the bike as a car when it's in your lane.

Don't like it, get the law changed. Until then, take some responsibility and a deep breath.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 AM

You want me to take responsiblity... Which I do, when I see, avoid and give bikes their due space. What responsibility do cyclists take?

Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
Quote:

The yahoos who share the road ride two wheel, and well, yes four wheels. There are other times when 4 wheelers can't move due to oncoming traffic. The point is: a 2 lane road with no shouldn't is not the best place to ride a bike.

This video has gotten a lot of coverage here in Colorado where it happened.
It is a two lane road with very good shoulders and it gets a lot of bike traffic.
There are bikers that deserve the anger, but these two were legally and safely on a PUBLIC road.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I tried walking to the gym once from home. 1 mile walk one way. Should have been straightforward except the sidewalk is adjacent to a major roadway where people drive at much higher rate of speed than posted. Then there was the uncertainty of divining the actions of drivers although I had the right-of-way at intersections in the crosswalk. Five in total.

I typically walk 1 mile in 13.20 at the track but this sojourn ended being over 30 minutes. No thanks. Too much stress in view of how people drive. In Miami we place tiny crosses by the roadside to mark a fatality. I notice they tend to occur frequently around bus stops and pedestrain walking areas. I number of occasions during the walk I looked over my shoulder when engine noises sounded much louder and closer than they should have for the posted speed limit. I prefer to have the protection of a car frame/shell around me when venturing close to traffic.
I feel for ya! It depends very much on the built environment on whether a person feels comfortable enough walking it as opposed to driving, at least for those who would consider it. Traffic calming designs- wider sidewalks, curb bump-outs, changes in striping or road surfaces on crosswalks and just space or planting barriers between roads and walking areas can go a long way towards getting people out there on their feet.

I walk all over the place, live in a neighborhood that is eminently walkable and in a (fairly) dense urban area where sidewalks are definitely part of the built environment- enough so that I'll walk downtown to the ballpark or the bay from my house which is a little over two miles, as well as daily for shopping. I usually take the bus to work just because its easier and convenient; my car often has spider webs sprouting from the mirrors. But I totally understand those in rural or suburban areas where it just isn't gonna work, because of either distance poor design. In fact I find most rural areas to be typically very unfriendly for walking, if not downright dangerous.

I also agree that it is a lifestyle thing, as much as I couldn't really care whether or not folks walk, I do find it a bit odd that there is that extreme in this country that not only eschews walking but finds it completely untenable and a threat to their car based lifestyle and freedoms when designs or transportation solutions don't completely cater exclusively towards them.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You want me to take responsiblity... Which I do, when I see, avoid and give bikes their due space. What responsibility do cyclists take?
Actually they are taking the responsibility of just trying to enjoy a ride and stay alive.

I'm thinking that they don't have near the animosity or even care much about the cars around them other than to ride safe and to avoid getting hit as you seem to whenever you see one and have to (seemingly go out of your way) not give in to that urge to run them over to prove a point and scrape them off the roadway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive