Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,997 times

Advertisements

I have a 2009 Toyota Matrix with approx 75,000 miles and as soon as I paid it off problems start arising. Paid $600 last month to the dealership to fix a sound coming from the camshaft. Now the check engine light is on due to cylinder 2 misfiring.

I haven't really paid much much attention to my car considering I bought it new and it's a Toyota( I know I know!) I just did whatever maintenance the dealership told me.

I have the oil changed about every 5k at the Dealership. I also only gas up whenever the tank is empty. I fill up on whatever regular gas is the cheapest in my area. I also keep my tires inflated properly and regularly wash my car. Other than that I don't do much because I don't have a garage to maintain my own car.

I'm thinking since it's at 75k maybe I should switch to synthetic oil. Should I always keep my gas tank at 1/2 a tank? I never really paid attention to the other fluids. I paid off my car in hopes of keeping it for another few years. I think I need to start taking better precautions with it and being more proactive with maintenance on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Just routine preventive maintenance and change the oil when need be.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
The level of fuel in the tank is irrelevant to longevity, unless your storing it for a long time.

There is no prof a engine will last any longer using synthetic oil, none.

What you do need to do is pay attention to the fluid levels and
do the scheduled maintenance.
To save your self a few$$$$ don't have the dealer rip you off on maintenance costs, find a independent shop and save yourself some $$

Take it back to the folks who worked on it last(cam shaft repair) and have them fix cylinder 2 misfiring, it could just be the spark plug wire or the plug

Last edited by snofarmer; 09-21-2012 at 08:44 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times
I second snofarmer's suggestions.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
The key is just to keep up with regular maintenance and expect that no matter what brand of car you bought, there are going to be things that break and need repairing when it gets older and puts on the miles. As far as oil type goes, it's really not that critical overall vs. just getting changed based on the recommended interval. FWIW, you are most likely already running a synthetic blend oil if you are getting it changed at the dealership. Have the guys who did the cam check the misfire, it's most likely something minor in the ignition system. At this mileage you also might want to start considering changing the plugs, wires/coil packs, fuel filter, etc. aka a "tune up". Chances are the book recommends these at 100k, but if you are starting to see some issues, it might be worth it to get it done a little sooner.

You seem to be doing everything right and there is no reason that the car won't last several more years, just be prepared that you will probably have at least a non-maintenance repair or two over that time.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
You might also want to look beyond the dealership for the fanatic service guys that you can sometimes find on the independent market. I have found that they tend to diagnose and repair the car at better cost than the dealership, where the techs may or may not be the best trained. You will have to look around and get recommendations for a shop, and likely give up the free (which are not free) loaner cars, coffee, waiting room, etc. I noticed this myself, when dealing with a reputable Acura service department for one of my cars, where the prices were much higher than the better quality work I have performed at the indie, even for a 2010 model that doesn't need much service as it has low mileage.

Shop around for a good shop to do the work NJGOAT recommended above, as you have time now to find that great mechanic who will keep you on the road for a fair expenditure of time and money, as the car is not in need of any particular service. You should ask on your local forum if anyone knows of a good Toyota/Japanese car shop that are highly rated, since they can evaluate the car for you know, and prioritize any repairs that you may need as to timing.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-21-2012, 12:09 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
All great advice above^^^^^
I will also add for you to,do your homework on your year car!
Google "Toyota matrix Known problems" and educate yourself on your car and whats problems you may have in the future.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times
Also, not sure where you live, but if you have snow in your area, make sure to wash underneath after driving on salty roads.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 PM

404 posts, read 1,147,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
The level of fuel in the tank is irrelevant to longevity, unless your storing it for a long time.

There is no prof a engine will last any longer using synthetic oil, none.

What you do need to do is pay attention to the fluid levels and
do the scheduled maintenance.
To save your self a few$$$$ don't have the dealer rip you off on maintenance costs, find a independent shop and save yourself some $$

Take it back to the folks who worked on it last(cam shaft repair) and have them fix cylinder 2 misfiring, it could just be the spark plug wire or the plug
I took it all the way to the dealership I purchased the car from for the cam shaft issue. That's 4 hours away from where I currently live now and I felt ripped off. I didn't get any piece of mind by going to the dealership.

I'm looking for a local trustworthy mechanic now.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:49 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
About gas. I read an article that said try not to run below 1/8 often to keep any particles that might be in the gas tank will stay in the tank. I cannot veryify if this is accurate or not but it is what the article said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive