Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 AM

509 posts, read 1,261,759 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a minivan, probably Honda or Toyota, already talking with dealers. My dilemma is that I want a tow package and mostly everyone is telling me that they can install it while I would feel more comfortable if it was factory installed. Does it make a difference? Should I insist on a factory installed towing system or does it really matter? Pleeeeease help me; I have NO idea.
We want the towing capability in case we would want to go camping but really MAINLY to haul a very small trailer for our luggage so that inside the minivan we are left w/plenty of room for our 4 kids and huge dog.
I know you guys give great advice! Looking forward to it. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
I always say get the factory towing package. For one, it almost always look better and factory. Second, it usually includes a tranny cooler and an upgraded alternator. Sure you can have this installed afterwards, but why not have it done from the factory and avoid any warranty or fitment issues? Plus it's all wrapped up in your financing. I trust the guys on the line more than the ones in the service department.

That being said, if the Honda or Toyota dealer can add the factory tow package on just like from the factory (hitch, wiring, cooler, etc) then I would go for that.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:41 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Go to a shop that specializes in tow hitches like a truck accessory store or u-haul they can bolt on a hitch for you.

The car dealer will cost you more for the same thing.

ps for a small trailer like you want to tow a up graded ALT or extra weight capacity or trany or power steering coolers are not necessary and if you do feel it is necessary the chances are they can install them for you cheaper then if you got the "tow" package and they will work just as good or better.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:19 AM

One minivan that has the tow already included says this: Towing Prep Package- engine oil cooler, larger radiator and fan-

are these things stuff that can be retro fitted by the service dept. be it of Honda or Toyota, included wiring, and it would be the same thing OR as mentioned by PokerMunkee, getting it from the factory would be a better choice. As far as the hitch, yeah, we would go w/a business that specializes in that, but I don't know if I am making a big deal of factory installed or retro fit. Thanks for ya'lls advice!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:24 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
The difference will only be in your pocket book.
It just bolts on, you could even do it yourself.

Does your van have a pig tail for the trailer lights hidden by the rear bumper?
If not any shop can easily splice one in.

I think your over thinking it.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
When building an Odyssey:

You can haul trailers weighing up to 3,500 pounds (350 pounds tongue weight) with the Towing Package. Check out your Owner's Manual for more details on towing with your new Honda.
  • Class II Trailer Hitch mounts directly to the frame for optimum performance, strength, and security.
  • 2" receiver design supports a variety of trailer coupler designs.
  • Trailer Hitch includes draw bar, retaining pin, and retaining clip.
  • Automatic Transmission Fluid cooler (ATF) helps prevent wear to your transmission while towing.
MSRP is $936. Pricey.

Here is the Toyota's:

Towing Prep Package – includes 3500-lb. towing capacity, engine oil cooler, heavy-duty radiator and fan. $220 on LE and standard on the other models.

Go with the Sienna and get the dual sunroofs, coolest van out IMO. Sounds like a hitch needs to be installed on all of the Siennas at the dealer or a 3rd party.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
When building an Odyssey:

You can haul trailers weighing up to 3,500 pounds (350 pounds tongue weight) with the Towing Package. Check out your Owner's Manual for more details on towing with your new Honda.
  • Class II Trailer Hitch mounts directly to the frame for optimum performance, strength, and security.
  • 2" receiver design supports a variety of trailer coupler designs.
  • Trailer Hitch includes draw bar, retaining pin, and retaining clip.
  • Automatic Transmission Fluid cooler (ATF) helps prevent wear to your transmission while towing.
MSRP is $936. Pricey.

Problem here is a class 2 receiver has the 1 1/4" bar and not the 2" that is standard on a class 3 or class 4.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:56 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
This is probably something that you have already thought of, but would a roof cargo box, instead of a small trailer, suit your needs?

Probably not but worth asking the question.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
This is probably something that you have already thought of, but would a roof cargo box, instead of a small trailer, suit your needs?

Probably not but worth asking the question.
Yes, we've thought of it but husband doesn't want to deal w/it anymore. No problem that you asked.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:42 PM

So all the Honda dealers are telling me that installing the tow package is something that is done only afterwards. I figure if that is the case then retro fitting it probably will be just fine. At least that is what I am hoping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive