Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:36 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times

Advertisements

I have been putting some thought into a new vehicle with a lot of divergent criteria, and have found very little really measures up to what I am looking for.

I would prefer a car that is practical for my family. So 4 doors, decent interior space, decent trunk (or hatch), etc. I also want something that is more of a sports car driving experience. it doesn't need Shelby GT500 levels of power, but should be quick, good handling in turns with little body lean, good steering feel, etc. Finally, it may have to be automatic (or automated manual). Not sure the wife will approve a stick shift (I am not sure it is a matter of teaching her, she is not a very good driver in an automatic, with slow interpretations and reactions to situations on the road, adding shifting to the things she needs to pay attention to may be very bad). Finally, I would like to keep it under or at $30K. (Thinking new here).

I can think of potentials in a few classes. First, going more affordable, cars like the Subaru WRX, Focus ST, Mazdaspeed3, Civic Si, seem to offer the sporty driving experience I would like. Their smaller in size may or may not be problematic. Biggest concern is that they are all stick shift only cars. (A GTI would have a DSG option and be in this class, but having driven one, I do not think it would ultimately meet my needs, to me it seems a bit smaller than these others).

Next class would be more of a midsizer, but little in the way of sporty driving experience here. There are big engine, sport package Altimas, Fusions, Optimas, Sonatas, etc out there. Some nice cars, but more bland.

Same size class, but going up in price would bring cars like a Regal GS, or Volvo S60 into view, with more refined (and better) driving dynamics. Price goes up too, mid $30K's and up. They are getting out of price range.

Larger sedans are limted. The Charger RT (or even a V6 SXT) would certainly fill the space requirements. On paper, the RT looks sporty. I have not driven an RT (have an SXT) and am just very unimpressed with the overall package. Even with slightly better dynamics out of the chassis, this car is just not going to feel quick or light on it's wheels.

Which leaves me with... ???

I tend to follow, read, and know what is on the market. I just have a feeling I am missing something, but maybe not. Anybody think of any suggestions? I know I am likely to have to settle and compromise somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 11:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Do you care if it looks like a ricer r has a boy racer image? WRX meets most of your criteria. THe new one is actually much less ricer looking. That is probably the best performance/$ buy in your criteria.

What about a restored or low mileage older car. Dodge Stealth or the Mitsubishi spider (with a retractable hard top - way cool). If you are mechanically inclined dont mind being uncomfortable and can see in the dark, many British cars are really fun and unique.

Pontiac G8 GT or GXP.

Wait for the new Chevy SS?

Malibu LTZ

That is all that comes to mind immediately.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I have been putting some thought into a new vehicle with a lot of divergent criteria, and have found very little really measures up to what I am looking for.

I would prefer a car that is practical for my family. So 4 doors, decent interior space, decent trunk (or hatch), etc. I also want something that is more of a sports car driving experience. it doesn't need Shelby GT500 levels of power, but should be quick, good handling in turns with little body lean, good steering feel, etc. Finally, it may have to be automatic (or automated manual). Not sure the wife will approve a stick shift (I am not sure it is a matter of teaching her, she is not a very good driver in an automatic, with slow interpretations and reactions to situations on the road, adding shifting to the things she needs to pay attention to may be very bad). Finally, I would like to keep it under or at $30K. (Thinking new here).

I can think of potentials in a few classes. First, going more affordable, cars like the Subaru WRX, Focus ST, Mazdaspeed3, Civic Si, seem to offer the sporty driving experience I would like. Their smaller in size may or may not be problematic. Biggest concern is that they are all stick shift only cars. (A GTI would have a DSG option and be in this class, but having driven one, I do not think it would ultimately meet my needs, to me it seems a bit smaller than these others).

Next class would be more of a midsizer, but little in the way of sporty driving experience here. There are big engine, sport package Altimas, Fusions, Optimas, Sonatas, etc out there. Some nice cars, but more bland.

Same size class, but going up in price would bring cars like a Regal GS, or Volvo S60 into view, with more refined (and better) driving dynamics. Price goes up too, mid $30K's and up. They are getting out of price range.

Larger sedans are limted. The Charger RT (or even a V6 SXT) would certainly fill the space requirements. On paper, the RT looks sporty. I have not driven an RT (have an SXT) and am just very unimpressed with the overall package. Even with slightly better dynamics out of the chassis, this car is just not going to feel quick or light on it's wheels.

Which leaves me with... ???

I tend to follow, read, and know what is on the market. I just have a feeling I am missing something, but maybe not. Anybody think of any suggestions? I know I am likely to have to settle and compromise somewhere.
Have you ever driven a tuned GTI?! I bet it will definitely meet your needs!

Stock as Measured by
91 Octane (R+M)/2
Power (HP) 200 HP
Torque (LB-FT) 207

APR with 91 Octane (R+M)/2
Power (HP) 250 HP
Torque (LB-FT) 294 TQ

Look at the difference. Plus if you add some new coils and some sways, you should be more than happy with the handling. All for less than your 30K budget.

I fit a whole giant coffee table and side table in my hatch BTW.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Give the Charger R/T a test drive. It's a nice car, RWD, and does 0-60 in the low 5's. You can get AWD for around $34k new. I'd wait for the new 8 speed automatic though, due in a few months.

You can get a loaded R/T Max for under $32k, with just about every option you could think of (HIDs, remote start, heated/cooled seats and cupholders, heated rear setas, sunroof, adaptive cruise control, 900w sound system/sub, 8" touchscreen with Garmin NAV, memory driver seat, electirc adjusting steering wheel, etc etc). And a 370HP V8 Giggity.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Do you care if it looks like a ricer r has a boy racer image? WRX meets most of your criteria. THe new one is actually much less ricer looking. That is probably the best performance/$ buy in your criteria.

What about a restored or low mileage older car. Dodge Stealth or the Mitsubishi spider (with a retractable hard top - way cool). If you are mechanically inclined dont mind being uncomfortable and can see in the dark, many British cars are really fun and unique.

Pontiac G8 GT or GXP.

Wait for the new Chevy SS?

Malibu LTZ

That is all that comes to mind immediately.
Don't mind the WRX looks or stigma. I had a 2007 WRX which I thought was a terrific drive. Just the stick shift issue could be a deal breaker.

I would do an older car, but have one of those already (85 Fiero SE V6)... one older maintenance vehicle is fun, but it is also plenty! There is ALWAYS something to work on!

G8 or a new SS when they are out would be a consideration, depending on an actual drive. I suspect the G8's would be similar to the Chargers.

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Have you ever driven a tuned GTI?! I bet it will definitely meet your needs!

Stock as Measured by
91 Octane (R+M)/2
Power (HP) 200 HP
Torque (LB-FT) 207

APR with 91 Octane (R+M)/2
Power (HP) 250 HP
Torque (LB-FT) 294 TQ

Look at the difference. Plus if you add some new coils and some sways, you should be more than happy with the handling. All for less than your 30K budget.

I fit a whole giant coffee table and side table in my hatch BTW.
I do like the driving experience. What year GTI do you have? I might have bought one back when I picked up my last car (Volvo C30) but had tons of trouble finding a suitable (I was between the 2009/2010 redesign). I remember the DSG's were having some electronic trouble back then too, hopefully that is resolved.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Give the Charger R/T a test drive. It's a nice car, RWD, and does 0-60 in the low 5's. You can get AWD for around $34k new. I'd wait for the new 8 speed automatic though, due in a few months.

You can get a loaded R/T Max for under $32k, with just about every option you could think of (HIDs, remote start, heated/cooled seats and cupholders, heated rear setas, sunroof, adaptive cruise control, 900w sound system/sub, 8" touchscreen with Garmin NAV, memory driver seat, electirc adjusting steering wheel, etc etc). And a 370HP V8 Giggity.
I will drive the RT when I drive other things! I just have low expectations, as I have driven a 2012 SXT V6 AWD (8 speed tranny) recently and was not really impressed. (They had no RT's). I know the V8, more sport tuned suspension, and such may change how the car feels.

Thanks for all the thoughts!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:18 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,651 times
If you don't mind a CUV, last gen's Acura RDX will fit the bill nicely. It has a good combination of sportiness, acceleration, automatic (with semi-auto shift paddle sports mode), roominess/cargo room. Only downside is that it requires premium fuel and mediocre mileage. The SH-AWD really makes this car eat up any curvy road, you will be going way faster than you should in any highway exits!

I bought one a few weeks ago and I love it.

And since it is an Acura (Honda), the reliability should be quite good (with very little problems from the 07 - 12 models).

Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 PM

458 posts, read 1,248,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Eh? What do you mean the GTI is smaller? It's got slightly less horsepower than the others but it's not much slower in a straight line and like you said offers a dual clutch automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24
If you want a sporty driving experience steer clear of all those cars you just mentioned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24
A giant bloated Charger is not sporty. It's a muscle car that goes fast in a straight line. They are not sporty to drive at all. The V6 ones aren't even that fast, a hot hatch like the ones you mentioned earlier (GTI, WRX, ST) are going to be faster than a V6 Charger. An R/T Charger is going to push your price limit as well.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
Eh? What do you mean the GTI is smaller? It's got slightly less horsepower than the others but it's not much slower in a straight line and like you said offers a dual clutch automatic.
It felt smaller inside, more cramped to me. (not that it felt cramped, but not as roomy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive