Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vintage vs. Modern performance:
Vintage cars had the edge on performance 4 5.33%
Modern cars have the edge on performance 61 81.33%
Neither is inherently better than the other 10 13.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:30 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
A lot of good razzing.

I have a 68 Dodge Charger R/T, 440 auto.
It came with a edelbrock 440toker intake, stock.
(the factory ones were cracking so they sold some with the after market intake.)
The engine is stock (unmolested)

Handling, in the corners it feels like a big car. cumbersome and the rear gets light and wants co come around.
Stopping does take some distance.

I just do a little illegal street racing and I have never seen the tail lights of a camery.
You see numbers printed in some magazine mean nothing on the street.
A fast/quick car can loose with a bad driver.

It gets good millage if you don't open the secondary's.

now, remember the charger of the 60's was a big car probably twice the weight of a camery
Why would you be racing Camrys in your big bad musclecar? How many have lined up with you?

What is your definition of good mileage? 15 MPG? I doubt you can get much better than that under any circumstances.

Based on what I looked up your car is about 500 pounds heavier (3300 vs 3800), give or take, depending on which site you believe. Nowhere close to double.

Numbers in a magazine are usually posted by experienced drivers, if not actual racing pros. What are your numbers? How do they compare with the pros?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 12:33 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
New Camrys are close to 3400-3500 lbs
I was going to say, I think even a four cylinder Camry weighs at least 3200 pounds. I don't think a 68 Charger weighs 6400-7000 pounds!

Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Lets get that tire issue out of the way. Many vintage cars have been tested with modern tires (such as with Lamplight's post a ways back). Their straightaway numbers are not meaningfully better and don't change the basic answer here - modern performance cars beat vintage performance cars. 0-60, handling, braking.

I'll accept an old Shelby as a factory car. You could go to a dealer and buy it. Just like you can buy a Shelby today.

It doesn't matter that Riverboat man likes the old cars better. It doesn't matter if he has Carroll Shelby's autograph or an invitation to a charity event. They just aren't as good, performance wise, as today's cars.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
That sir is the answer that fleet and riverboat can't seem to grasp
Actually, I did not once say in this thread that vintage is better than new technology.

All I did in this thread was to show that classic Dodge Chargers could run in the 13s (and that a Toyota Camry could not keep up with one in a 1/4 mile drag race).

Old 09-28-2012, 01:50 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Alright, as an offshoot of the vintage vs. modern styling thread, and because that thread keeps deviating to talking about performance... which era do you think had the edge on performance?

Was it the days of massive V8's that made massive torque to get two-and-a-half tons of steel and chrome to 0-60 down the boulevard like a Nike missile? The days of open-top, windshield-less British roadsters that were basically sheet metal over a skeletal frame that weighed 1200lbs whose BMC A-series engines could be floored through the corners?

Or is it the today, the era of variable valve timing and twin turbos that launch aerodynamic sedans and coupes from 0-60 in time that was reserved for supercars just a couple decades ago? Where adaptive independent suspension, 50/50 weight distribution, and limited slip differentials allow you to pull over 1 lateral G in the turns?

Gentlemen, start your engines
I would give the nod to the cars being built today. I owned a 1968 Corvette in 1968. It came equipped with the 435 H.P. Tri carb motor and a four speed with 370 gears IIRC. I swapped for two four barrels and added headers plus some suspension and tire modifications. I drove it to several gymkhanas (sic?) in Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas and it was competitive in it's class.

I sold my Vette in 1974 and have not owned another since then. However I have a good friend that buys a new one every year and he always lets me take them out for a test drive. Back in the day there weren't any domestic models that could touch my 68 Vette on a twisty road except maybe a Cobra on a tight course. A stock Vette of today would out accelerate, out handle and out stop my modified 68 Vette by a significant margin. They have made tremendous improvements in all areas in my opinion. The new motors even get decent fuel mileage while meeting EPA pollution standards. The engineers learned well from spending time on the race tracks in the past forty years.

GL2

Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I would give the nod to the cars being built today. I owned a 1968 Corvette in 1968. It came equipped with the 435 H.P. Tri carb motor and a four speed with 370 gears IIRC. I swapped for two four barrels and added headers plus some suspension and tire modifications. I drove it to several gymkhanas (sic?) in Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas and it was competitive in it's class.

I sold my Vette in 1974 and have not owned another since then. However I have a good friend that buys a new one every year and he always lets me take them out for a test drive. Back in the day there weren't any domestic models that could touch my 68 Vette on a twisty road except maybe a Cobra on a tight course. A stock Vette of today would out accelerate, out handle and out stop my modified 68 Vette by a significant margin. They have made tremendous improvements in all areas in my opinion. The new motors even get decent fuel mileage while meeting EPA pollution standards. The engineers learned well from spending time on the race tracks in the past forty years.

GL2
Love the styling of the 50s Vette. Combine modern engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension with that styling and I'd be a drooling puppy dog. When I think of that model, I remember the opening scene of the movie Heavy Metal. Pointless scene other than that it was totally cool.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:14 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Or rather it doesn't at all... How can you praise old cars if you fill them with contemporary technology? Shouldn't you rather praise contemporary technology?
Parts wear out. You can go "junkin" and buy used and take your chances if it is any good, or you can upgrade. It very easy to do so...the fact all you guys don't know or see it makes me laugh uncontrollably. For any gripe about vintage...I have a fix for it. Not only a fix...about anyone that can turn a wrench can do it with minimum tools on hand. Example (1) 1965-66 Mustang Short Shaft Steering Box: 1" Sector - 16:1 Ratio - FR1497-1Q - 580 - 5427

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgt View Post
I posted that Veyron simply to point out how absurd your comparison was. A Camry against a modded Hemi Cuda? It would be hard to make a real comparison anyway since you post random videos of cars you have never personally seen and have no real specs on. What is the 1/4 mi ET and what is the trap speed what are the mods? Every time I've been out to the strip there have been many 11 and 12 second cars. A large majority of them are modern cars so I don't see how your common car argument holds any water.
That's total BS dude. I could call all my buddies and have them email me pics of their stuff. What would be the point? You still think a run of the mill car is better and faster. Maybe we could take pics of the guys bashing their fists on the dash because they are steaming mad they lost...eh? LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
A lot of good razzing.

I have a 68 Dodge Charger R/T, 440 auto.
It came with a edelbrock 440toker intake, stock.
(the factory ones were cracking so they sold some with the after market intake.)
The engine is stock (unmolested)

Handling, in the corners it feels like a big car. cumbersome and the rear gets light and wants co come around.
Stopping does take some distance.

I just do a little illegal street racing and I have never seen the tail lights of a camery.
You see numbers printed in some magazine mean nothing on the street.
A fast/quick car can loose with a bad driver.

It gets good millage if you don't open the secondary's.

now, remember the charger of the 60's was a big car probably twice the weight of a camery
One of the best posts in the thread. I never have either man......NEVER!! It's obvious who owns these cars and sees them drive IRL.... Who gets their facts from other 16 year olds and 40 year old magazines as well. I have one word for ya guys...... SMOKED!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Lets get that tire issue out of the way. Many vintage cars have been tested with modern tires (such as with Lamplight's post a ways back). Their straightaway numbers are not meaningfully better and don't change the basic answer here - modern performance cars beat vintage performance cars. 0-60, handling, braking.

I'll accept an old Shelby as a factory car. You could go to a dealer and buy it. Just like you can buy a Shelby today.

It doesn't matter that Riverboat man likes the old cars better. It doesn't matter if he has Carroll Shelby's autograph or an invitation to a charity event. They just aren't as good, performance wise, as today's cars.
Gripe number #2 fixed....
Wilwood High Performance Disc Brakes - Front Brake Kits: 1965 Ford Mustang Drum Brake V-8 Spindle Only.

Anything else??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Actually, I did not once say in this thread that vintage is better than new technology.

All I did in this thread was to show that classic Dodge Chargers could run in the 13s (and that a Toyota Camry could not keep up with one in a 1/4 mile drag race).
Vintage is better than new technolgy. You can upgrade anything you want and....

(1) Not have a payment
(2) Have a better looking car
(3) Can be much faster than stock and eat new cars to shreads.
(4) Will hold it's value and continue to go up
(5) Is a piece of history, it won't end up crashed by some rich b**** 16 year old girl and end up in a scrap heap only 6 months old.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:17 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
Vintage is better than new technolgy. You can upgrade anything you want...
This is the most ironic statement you've made yet, and you don't even realize it.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:27 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
This is the most ironic statement you've made yet, and you don't even realize it.
Old car...Centerforce II Dual Friction clutch....Flowmaster exhaust...Comp Cams camshaft...Trickflow/World/Edelbrock heads...JE forged pistons....Currie Enterprises Ford 9"....etc..etc..

New car....unless you are above average and have the money and tools....your stuck with what it came with within simple bolt ons. Even if you have enough guts, tools and brains to pull the heads and intake along with th EFI etc..etc......You'll still need to have it tuned by a tech on a laptop.

I need a screwdriver to adjust the carb and a wrench to loosen the distributor so I can rotate it and set the timing.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:28 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

What is the point of comparing a classic charger to toyota camry?
Why such idiotic comparisons. Why don't you compare classic charger to sport cars of today? Why not to ZR-1 Vette? Why not to M5? Why not to Panamera GTS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive