Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vintage vs. Modern performance:
Vintage cars had the edge on performance 4 5.33%
Modern cars have the edge on performance 61 81.33%
Neither is inherently better than the other 10 13.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
Well...if that is the case then why is job number #1 getting rid of ALL technology...stripping the car down to bare bones to make it rugged as hell and THE MOST reliable?
All technology? What about the engine? Are you going to dispose of it too? LOL
What makes XXI century engines more reliable and efficient is not just the electronics but also new materials and design. Car companies spend millions on F1 cars just to develop new technologies and materials that eventually trickle down to production cars.

Even if you would strip down your 1968 car to bare bones you won't help its obsolete design and materials. You would not make it more relable than XXI century production cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
They would be destroyed!
The point is that people inside that Camry will survive while your 86 vette will kill everybody inside. Car design went forward, crumple zones and safety cages made cars safer not more dangerous than ever before.
Most 1968 cars would probably score very poorly in contemporary crash tests.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:41 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
The point is that people inside that Camry will survive while your 86 vette will kill everybody inside. Car design went forward, crumple zones and safety cages made cars safer not more dangerous than ever before.
I used to joke that if I crashed my old El Camino into a tree, the car would sustain only minor damage but I'd become a fine red mist. Of course that's not entirely accurate. In reality the cab probably would have been the first thing to collapse.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
I know its a "bit" older then 68, but it still goes to show how much safer new cars are

Crash Test 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air VS. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu (Frontal Offset) IIHS 50th Anniversary - YouTube

Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
They would be destroyed!
Totally destroyed. I've been the head mechanic for two demo derby cars.....number #97 for both. No EFI, no glass, cut out all electronic devices not needed, carb...engine...tranny were good. You even have to weld the doors shut.

Mr. Plastic would be a heap of rubble on one impact.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
LOL Everyone in the old ones used comes out fine too. BTW...it's not just one crash....ain't you ever been in one before? LMAO

Old 09-28-2012, 08:03 PM

Cars we used....1980 Chrysler LeBaron...1979 Olds Delta 88..

Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,308 times
Quote:
I already told you my buddy's '66 Impala 327 4bbl 2 speed Powerglide can lay the smack down on a Camry. I've seen it before as well as other econo cars. Do you think that 327 is as the day it rolled off? Well that would be your first mistake. It has a "thumper" under the hood. Think of the drum solo intro for Van Halen's Hot For Teacher.......now you got it!
Wow you are extremely dense. I have been agreeing with you the entire time. Of course a modded muscle car can beat a v6 grocery getter. My point is it's a ridiculous comparison. When it comes to mods you can always one up someone. The argument would never end and is pointless.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Totally destroyed. I've been the head mechanic for two demo derby cars.....number #97 for both. No EFI, no glass, cut out all electronic devices not needed, carb...engine...tranny were good. You even have to weld the doors shut.

Mr. Plastic would be a heap of rubble on one impact.
Ha ha ha. Do you even realize how much safer contemporary racing cars are compared to old tube designs???

Old 09-28-2012, 08:06 PM

Do people really believe cars are that much safer? What's up with making up to 7-8 year old kids sit in a car seat anyway....what's up with that? I used to stand up in the back seat when I was two or three...no laws against it then. Hmmmmmmm???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive