Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vintage vs. Modern performance:
Vintage cars had the edge on performance 4 5.33%
Modern cars have the edge on performance 61 81.33%
Neither is inherently better than the other 10 13.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
BTW 415...remember when you guys were laughing at my old ass for using those Crower forged connecting rods with ARP bolts in my build many pages ago? THAT ^^^ is why!
... no.

No one laughed at you for any of your engine mods, at least I sure as hell didn't. People were trying to make the point that stock-for-stock, most mass-produced vintage cars would get stomped by a mass-produced modern car in pretty much every way.

I mean, regardless of what type of engine you're building, whether it's an old, American iron V8 or a modern Japanese inline 4, if you're planning on making serious power, at some point you're probably going to swap in some forged internals.

That said, plenty of modern performance cars come with them, stock. People run 500, 600, 700, 800hp on the 2-liter F20C in my S2000 on stock internals (seriously).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Hey RBG, check this out.

You should have posted this one.

Oh, and when you said way earlier in other posts "Bullit was real" did you happen to notice how many times they passed that same VW beetle on the same hill, for the same shot? Or the number of times that white firebird shows up in shots? It's a movie...yeh, there wasn't CG, but don't believe everything you see on the screen.

PS - That Charger and 5.0 really took some abuse.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:19 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
... no.

No one laughed at you for any of your engine mods, at least I sure as hell didn't. People were trying to make the point that stock-for-stock, most mass-produced vintage cars would get stomped by a mass-produced modern car in pretty much every way.

I mean, regardless of what type of engine you're building, whether it's an old, American iron V8 or a modern Japanese inline 4, if you're planning on making serious power, at some point you're probably going to swap in some forged internals.

That said, plenty of modern performance cars come with them, stock. People run 500, 600, 700, 800hp on the 2-liter F20C in my S2000 on stock internals (seriously).
You can always do better with aftermarket. My '65 K-code 289 already had heavy duty rods, caps and bolts. Those Crowers were extra-extra heavy duty. They were also precision balanced and blueprinted with the engine. Suppose Mo had to take a dump before morning break. He's in a hurry to get his parts done before he goes....he wants to read the new Playboy while he's in there too. You'll get something of lesser quality...mark my words. It's a production engine and mass produced on an assembly line.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
I believe the SVT motors were hand assembled with one individual from inception to completion, and their name was signed on the engine plate for display when installed in the car. There was some pride that goes into it, so in many ways those guys probably put together a good motor.

with the rest of the car engines out there, the fact that you have a computer line up the head on a *** better than any human ever could with the naked eye. Then all the head bolts are torqued together, in one motion by a machine, to a torque spec better than anything you'll find on a set and click torque wrench, I'd have to imagine that the average assembly line motor is put together better than the average "hand assembled" block...it's also multiple times better than what the average joe does in his garage using a ball hone on a drill, just "hoping" to keep it straight while he tries to clean up the cylinder walls.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Because they prove/show all of you that your posts are BS.

They prove and show pure BS.

It makes perfect sense. You saw a '68 Charger run 8's in the quarter when all of you seem to think your 2012 Camry can smoke one. You also saw a '69 Camaro SS beat a '03 Factory supercharged Mustang Cobra. You also saw a '73 Dodge Dart 340 beat a C5 Vette...and various other wins. Your posts are BS.

It is nonsense. If it wasn't for Fleet, myself and maybe one other guy...the misinformation in this thread would be over the top. Pretty soon we would read how a 2012 Dodge mini van with a V6 can blow the doors off a '71 Hemi Cuda. Keeping it correct is all.

Wrong...they are already being made and in use. Currie Enterprises Racing Rear End Categories

You can start by not changing Rebel12's posts with mine and putting my name on his post.....however you managed to do that.
I didnt know they were making all AL diffs. I guess if its good for engine blocks, it could work. And i didnt put your name on his post. That was how it was displayed.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
It's an excellent thing. What isn't good about whatever I said that you're referring to?

Exactly. The cars are now built to protect the occupants, rather than to protect the cars.

No doubt.

Watch some vids with the open cockpit cars in the early Indy 500 type races. They would spin, back into the wall at 100 MPH, and just roll down the track with only minor damage. The driver, OTOH, who had sustained a 50G instant deceleration, would be in the hospital for months, if they survived the crash at all.

And we've all seen NASCAR stockers tumbling down a straightaway, only to have the driver step out and walk away.
I was joking about your car getting good mpg, having ac, etc.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Here's another "off topic" post because it proves again Fleet and I know what we are talking about.

Custom Aluminum Driveshafts - Driveshafts - Inland Empire Driveline Service
Who doesnt know about aluminum driveshafts. Hell even ford panther cars had those or metal matrix.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Who doesnt know about aluminum driveshafts. Hell even ford panther cars had those or metal matrix.
My 1995 F150 has an aluminum driveshaft. And the Areostar AWD aluminum driveshaft can be swapped into Fox body Mustangs.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
And which car did it come in?
They didnt. I doubt they would be able to stick it in anything that wasnt a BIW or something intended for racing.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:24 AM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,341,708 times
Quote:
The guy commenting on the video. He's a blowhard and doesn't know what he is talking about. That wiki ^ above even proves it. That 440 HP gross @ the flywheel car is NOT going to be under 300 net at the rear wheels. No way...no how. I believe the guy who posted the vid...350 HP and some change.
I don't think he was talking about with the SC and the guy that posted the comment (cobracolin) is the same guy that posted the vid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive