Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you let someone into your lane?
No, keep 'em behind 4 4.00%
Yes, let 'em in 73 73.00%
Doesn't matter 6 6.00%
Other (explain) 18 18.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:22 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,878,314 times

Advertisements

With the threads about Jerks holding up traffic and Slow merging, here's a poll.

All things considered, will you let a driver get in front of you or do you do your best to keep them behind you? This means merging at the end of a lane or on ramp, coming up on an exit or whatever the situation may be.

Feel free to explain your answer if you'd like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 11:39 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,236,051 times
I will if they seem to know what they're doing. If they've slowed down to 30 on a highway to change lanes, or are merging from an onramp but going 30 with the brakes on, and now want to swerve in front of me, it's not gonna happen.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
Yes UNLESS there is traffic on the off ramp and they are trying to skip everyone by going to the front of the line and try getting in.

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
Driving along in the middle of a freeway and someone properly signaling from either side, always.

Drivers merging into the same freeway I had to merge into, of course!

I would say a slight exception to these general rules is that in dense traffic situations I don't like to follow high profile vehicles blocking my view of what's happening in the roadway ahead so I am rather covetous of my positioning with any small, low vehicle ahead of me, thus I am not going to be as amenable to a SUV or tall lifted truck taking that away from me when their positioning will effectively be the same behind me. Where as if you are driving a small car and getting between me and a tall vehicle I go out of my way to let encourage you and let you in! Truck owners, I'm not trying to be rude, just safe.

Rude, self entitled azzholes trying to force their way into a long filled up offramp NEVER! No, you didn't just happen to forget that that long line miles back to get into this offramp was for this ramp, you rudely and blatantly do this every day! Now, if you had an out of state license I would probably believe that you did miss this offramp and let you in.

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
The vast majority of the time I am driving this is a non-issue. There is more than sufficient room between me and the car in front of me that anyone driving normally can just merge in.

I have been known on occassion to step on the gas when I see the car who has cut across multiple lanes of traffic multiple times trying to get in front of me.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,164,271 times
I usually leave a big gap between me and the car in front of me, so people likes to jump into my lane. Doesn't bother me at all.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
Depends on several factors:

1) Am I in a hurry or not?

2) Does that driver weave around traffic or not? I hate drivers who pass 1 car just to squeeze ahead of you with a passion and I go out of my way to try to not let people like that in (unless there's a HUGE gap ahead of me.)

3) How closely is the guy following me behind?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 AM

881 posts, read 2,093,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
I usually leave a big gap between me and the car in front of me, so people likes to jump into my lane. Doesn't bother me at all.
This. X 1,000. I'm driving to get to a destination. Someone else moving into (or out of) a lane is irrelevant.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Driving along in the middle of a freeway and someone properly signaling from either side, always.

Drivers merging into the same freeway I had to merge into, of course!

I would say a slight exception to these general rules is that in dense traffic situations I don't like to follow high profile vehicles blocking my view of what's happening in the roadway ahead so I am rather covetous of my positioning with any small, low vehicle ahead of me, thus I am not going to be as amenable to a SUV or tall lifted truck taking that away from me when their positioning will effectively be the same behind me. Where as if you are driving a small car and getting between me and a tall vehicle I go out of my way to let encourage you and let you in! Truck owners, I'm not trying to be rude, just safe.

Rude, self entitled azzholes trying to force their way into a long filled up offramp NEVER! No, you didn't just happen to forget that that long line miles back to get into this offramp was for this ramp, you rudely and blatantly do this every day! Now, if you had an out of state license I would probably believe that you did miss this offramp and let you in.

Ditto, and I drive a small SUV.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,502,834 times
Usually, but mainly if they signal and let me know. If it's some loser who had plenty of room behind me to work with and no signal to boot, the gap in front of me closes really quickly.

Nobody likes the guy who crosses three lanes and white stripes (median) to get off as if he was in labor when the next exit does the job just as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive