Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Does anyone else get this? Idiots merging onto the freeway at 20-40km/h below the freeway speed limit? Here, 95% of drivers are too retarded to match the freeway speed when merging, despite a 400-500m long on-ramp, and merge into 100km/h traffic at anywhere between 60-80km/h. A lot of morons here seem to be too mentally screwed to grasp the concept of pressing the accelerator to match freeway speeds, causing bunching up on the on-ramp and when this mass of traffic merges, it results in traffic already on the freeway having to slam on the brakes or shove over to the far lane, slowing the overall flow of traffic down.

It astounds me that every time, literally every time I am behind someone on the on-ramp, they are dawdling, like a baby scared to jump into a pool.

Has this epidemic spread elsewhere?
Alot of people forget or were not properly educated on how to drive. A ramp is supposed to be used for gaining enough speed matching, or closely matching that on the highway, so a safe merge can be safe. It happens here sometimes in Pleasant prairie, WI where the outlet stores are located on I-94. It also happens occasionally on the Russell Road ramp where some truck stops are located. As for me, I was trained to increase my speed on a ramp to merge, and only go slow if traffic is excessively heavy. I also practice allowing other drivers to enter without interference.

I think states should, when they give people road tests, make people get on and off highways, so the examiner can point to a driver's faults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 03:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
No, my vehicle small. I'm just not willing to disrupt the flow of traffic just so someone who failed to give themselves time to accelerate and look for a gap to jump in front of me. The second you get on a on-ramp, press on the gas and look for your opening. I will not slam my brakes because someone can't comprehend what a yield sign means or have enough sense to match the flow of traffic, which ever comes first.

So a lane is ending in a 1/2 a mile in heavy traffic, just stay in the lane until it ends instead of clogging up the crowded lanes. I do not understand why people get so anxious when they see a lane is about to end.

This is how I merge in heavy traffic -

I go around people who attempt early merge in dense traffic. There a yield sign placed at most on-ramp for a reason and don't assume that I do not adjust my speed when necessary.
You do realize that it is just as easy and efficient to "zip" as soon as you see that merging is required rather than rushing up to the front of the line (and even going around people trying to be civil about merging in this situation!), don't you? Of course, that means you wouldn't get to be ahead of all of those other people who are on your road, which I suspect is the real issue here, based on everything else you've posted.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:15 PM

37,101 posts, read 41,226,282 times
And you have to have the cooperation of everyone on the freeway to close the zipper!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:18 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Are you really willing to fight that in court if you hit someone because you "think" you're already on the highway? If you hit someone while you're trying to merge, I can promise you they'll fight it. If it goes to court, which it will, the first thing a judge is going to look at is who was in the main lanes and who was in the ramp. Guess what? The guy on the ramp has to yield. If you want to think you're already on the highway, then you have to follow the law of changing lanes. Just because your signal is on doesn't mean you can get over, and I'm proof of that - I got hit by someone changing lanes out on a highway last year. She lost, to the tune of about $20K in damages and medical. In the real world, you have to yield to traffic already on the road. The guy already on the highway doing 65 or 70 does not have to yield to you trying to merge at 50.

I obviously don't know the exact details of your accident.

But the cars on the highway are supposed to create enough space for merging cars to be able to enter the highway. The cars on the HIGHWAY have to slow down slightly in order that there is a reasonable GAP for a car entering the highway to merge into. No one should merge onto a highway at full speed.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:36 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
So a lane is ending in a 1/2 a mile in heavy traffic, just stay in the lane until it ends instead of clogging up the crowded lanes. I do not understand why people get so anxious when they see a lane is about to end.

I sure hope you are joking because PROPER driving technique tells you to move over as soon as you can after the sign, not wait until the last second then force yourself over, cause I ain't letting you in.

That video has to be a joke or "what NOT to do", because you would have the right lane jammed up and the left lane would be moving slower to to make room for the people that just force their way into the left lane, what they show would NEVER happen in real life.

Again, you wait until the last second to move over, I ain't letting you in, but just after the sign telling of lane shift or close I would allow you plenty of room to move over.

Last edited by Trackwatch; 09-28-2012 at 04:45 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You do realize that it is just as easy and efficient to "zip" as soon as you see that merging is required rather than rushing up to the front of the line (and even going around people trying to be civil about merging in this situation!), don't you? Of course, that means you wouldn't get to be ahead of all of those other people who are on your road, which I suspect is the real issue here, based on everything else you've posted.
You do realize it's not? It's actually merging early that's the selfish thing to do rather than driving properly and considerately. If there's an open gap left by someone, sure, take it. But going along creating 100 different merge spots because you're being considerate impedes traffic flow and is much more likely to cause an accident. Trying to merge into too small gaps that people that know how to drive leave means you're driving hokey-pokey and obsessively watching your mirror rather than just going at the speed of the lane you're in until where all traffic is supposed to merge, which is at the zipper. If you do manage to cut in after obsessing over you mirror and causing chain speed adjustments in your own lane as you slow down, speed up, stop, speed up, slow down, trying to cut someone off, all you'll do is cut someone off causing another chain of slow downs in the lane you just cut someone off in.

Try driving properly the next time you're in heavy stop-and-go traffic next time. You'll find it's easier to merge and that you are less of a hazard and aggravating factor to the traffic around you than your current method of improper, inconsiderate, and dangerous driving. We'll all thank you for it. If you're behind me, I'll be much happier knowing I don't have someone who isn't looking where they're going. If you're ahead of me, I'll be thankful to be following a car that's driving with the flow of traffic rather than erratically. If you're to the side of me, I'll be happy that you're driving predictably and I don't have to pay much attention to you until the zipper. At which time I'll make room for you as you predictably, safely, and efficiently merge.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Try driving properly the next time you're in heavy stop-and-go traffic next time. You'll find it's easier to merge and that you are less of a hazard and aggravating factor to the traffic around you than your current method of improper, inconsiderate, and dangerous driving. We'll all thank you for it. If you're behind me, I'll be much happier knowing I don't have someone who isn't looking where they're going. If you're ahead of me, I'll be thankful to be following a car that's driving with the flow of traffic rather than erratically. If you're to the side of me, I'll be happy that you're driving predictably and I don't have to pay much attention to you until the zipper. At which time I'll make room for you as you predictably, safely, and efficiently merge.

Your method is hard to follow but the "proper" way is to wait until the lane ends then force your way over?

Old 09-28-2012, 05:11 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Your method is hard to follow but the "proper" way is to wait until the lane ends then force your way over?
Not sure how it's hard to follow. There's a video right up there if your more of a visual person. But yes, in heavy traffic it's the proper way to drive rather than driving along not paying attention to where you're going trying to force you way where drivers don't expect you to. As with all things, the safest way is to drive predictably. Forcing your way in for no reason is not predictable. "Forcing" your way in where the lane ends and everyone knows what you're doing is much easier, safer, and more efficient.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I sure hope you are joking because PROPER driving technique tells you to move over as soon as you can after the sign, not wait until the last second then force yourself over, cause I ain't letting you in.
Not when the other lane is congested. You become the problem by trying to move over when there isn't any space to do so. By the time I reach the end, I found the space to get in without disrupting the flow of traffi. I get far ahead and more seamlessly than the person who decides to slow up both lanes with their incompetence. It is not that difficult to look ahead and adjust your speed accordingly so the impact of other traffic is greatly reduced. That is what the extra lane spaces are for. I don't need to force myself over. I alternate with the driver next to me. That is the purpose of the zipper merge and does not require traffic to come to a complete stop.

If the traffic is flowing, getting over as soon as possible after matching the flow of traffic is effective. I have been in situations where traffic merging flat out refuse to speed up and merge in well below the speed limit, forcing me and everyone behind me to slow down abruptly. That is how traffic jam occurs.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:19 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I second the bolded part. If I can let you in, I will. But I'm not hitting my brakes and risking getting rear ended because you waited too long to get over or didn't want to wait your turn either. You're either going to sideswipe me (your fault. pray i'm not injured in any way), or drop back and wait like a good boy/girl. Your choice.
I hate this notion of people saying if I'm not at fault, I'm not going to attempt to avoid the possible accident. It's simply ridiculous. People make mistakes which makes it downright silly to assume that everyone is being an *******/ aggressive driver. It's this kind of attitude I just don't get. You have to be aware of everything around you. Is this person behind me too close for me to brake safely? Is the left lane clear for me to possibly get over? Once you anticipate the actions of other drivers, you learn to never get caught in a situation where you can't possibly maneuver your way out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive