Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:04 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I sure hope you are joking because PROPER driving technique tells you to move over as soon as you can after the sign, not wait until the last second then force yourself over, cause I ain't letting you in.

That video has to be a joke or "what NOT to do", because you would have the right lane jammed up and the left lane would be moving slower to to make room for the people that just force their way into the left lane, what they show would NEVER happen in real life.

Again, you wait until the last second to move over, I ain't letting you in, but just after the sign telling of lane shift or close I would allow you plenty of room to move over.
You do realize that someone might not be familiar with the road, or is lost, and missed the sign telling of a lane shift. That kind of "I ain't letting you in" attitude is why we have unnecessary accidents on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You do realize that someone might not be familiar with the road, or is lost, and missed the sign telling of a lane shift. That kind of "I ain't letting you in" attitude is why we have unnecessary accidents on the road.
The "I ain't letting you over" mostly applies to those that pass up chances to get over but race up to where the lane ends and expect someone to let them over, sorry, not ME.

But just coming over when the lane ends isn't? The signs regarding lanes ending start at a mile or so sometimes more, that is PLENTY of time to get over.

So far it seems the people that think this waiting until the lane ends are in California, maybe that is why they have such a traffic problem?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not sure how it's hard to follow. There's a video right up there if your more of a visual person. But yes, in heavy traffic it's the proper way to drive rather than driving along not paying attention to where you're going trying to force you way where drivers don't expect you to. As with all things, the safest way is to drive predictably. Forcing your way in for no reason is not predictable. "Forcing" your way in where the lane ends and everyone knows what you're doing is much easier, safer, and more efficient.
It is crazy driving, that is why I thought it was a joke.

EVERYONE that knows how to drive is expecting those in the lane that is closing to move over when they have room and if/when I can I give it to them.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
It is crazy driving, that is why I thought it was a joke.

EVERYONE that knows how to drive is expecting those in the lane that is closing to move over when they have room and if/when I can I give it to them.
I'm pretty sure that the "zipper merge" technique is intended to be used only when traffic is jammed up and crawling; to make use of all available space, in other words. You sure as hell wouldn't want to wait until your lane ends to move over if you're moving along.

It seems to me though, that if everyone had merged in safely ahead of time (and everyone already in the correct lane had left space enough for drivers to merge), that the stop and go conditions that necessitate that "zipper merge" wouldn't happen in the first place.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I'm pretty sure that the "zipper merge" technique is intended to be used only when traffic is jammed up and crawling; to make use of all available space, in other words. You sure as hell wouldn't want to wait until your lane ends to move over if you're moving along.

It seems to me though, that if everyone had merged in safely ahead of time (and everyone already in the correct lane had left space enough for drivers to merge), that the stop and go conditions that necessitate that "zipper merge" wouldn't happen in the first place.
Yep. I've seen this both ways, and it goes MUCH more smoothly when people pay attention to the signs saying you need to merge and start merging right then. The people in the lane being merged into are much more likely to be accommodating (I've never had a problem with a car waiting and motioning me in, I do the same, and I've seen it happen often with others), whereas if someone goes zooming by them all up to the front of the line and tries to bully their way in, they're much more likely to be kept waiting because of their "I own the road and you should let me do what I want" attitude.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:59 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,150 times
So basically this argument as to when exactly to merge in tighter traffic is highly ambiguous lol

Old 09-28-2012, 09:19 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
But for the merging driver to drop back and wait requires that he slow down. That compounds the problem.
I hate when people use excuses like that to be rude and not yield to other drivers, Dropping back one car length to allow another car to merge, only requires a slight tap on the brake. Maybe a 3 mph - 5 mph temporary reduction in speed. It should have no effect what so ever on traffic behind, unless the following drivers are seriously tailgating.

Which brings up another point. If drivers would just spread out and not tailgate, there would be plenty of room for other drives to merge. Traffic would flow more smooth, and everybody would get where they are going faster. Instead most people drive a half a car length behind the car in front. So as to make sure that nobody can get in front of them. The result is a group of 50 cars bumper to bumper, and a half a mile of empty freeway behind them.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
So basically this argument as to when exactly to merge in tighter traffic is highly ambiguous lol
Yup. There's two groups. One that knows how to slow down traffic based on their anecdotal experience being inefficient and polite; the other that drives efficiently the way brighter mind's than theirs who do nothing but study traffic and build roads advocates.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I hate when people use excuses like that to be rude and not yield to other drivers, Dropping back one car length to allow another car to merge, only requires a slight tap on the brake. Maybe a 3 mph - 5 mph temporary reduction in speed. It should have no effect what so ever on traffic behind, unless the following drivers are seriously tailgating.

Which brings up another point. If drivers would just spread out and not tailgate, there would be plenty of room for other drives to merge. Traffic would flow more smooth, and everybody would get where they are going faster. Instead most people drive a half a car length behind the car in front. So as to make sure that nobody can get in front of them. The result is a group of 50 cars bumper to bumper, and a half a mile of empty freeway behind them.
Nope. In heavy traffic, it's a continuous line stretching for often times several miles. The radar/laser cruise control systems were developed because a computer would allow cars to tailgate one another more than a prudent human could ever do and with less excessive "only 3-5 mph temporary reductions" in speed that chain react for miles down the road because I computer can far more precisely react and not over break.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

I agree 100 %. I try to stay 3 seconds length away from the car in front, and sometimes that means that I am the car that everyone cuts in front of to change lanes but that doesn't bother me. When I approach a ramp from which others are entering the highway, if it's my lane I make sure I create enough of a gap so that others can safely enter. I've never understood the drivers who won't give way or reduce their speed for literally a few seconds. Even if those who are already on the highway have right of way, it is safer for everyone if the drivers already on the road let others merge in safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive