Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:36 PM

248 posts, read 754,606 times

Advertisements

Just don't be scared, a car is nothing but a" bunch of nuts and bolts with a couple of pieces in between" (my dads quote). Alot of knowledge is car specific certain cars are prone to certain problems but with the internet there is a forum for every car out there and get the "shop manual" not the chilton or haynes manual. Invest your money in tools.

I've been a shade tree mechanic for 30 yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
The OP asked if taking a course to get a certificate of being trained and certified to help him save on his car repairs and learn about his car enough to be educated in dealing with repair shops.My answer was that reading and understanding his cars service manual would teach him the details he wants to learn. If he can not do this he is wasting his time in taking a highly technical auto training course. They dont offer courses on just one model and thats why he would waste time.If he cant read and understand a service manual he doesnt have the ability to take a real training course because that would be much harder. You start with the basics and having and reading and understanding the manual is a basic for him to accomplish what he is asking about.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:31 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I went to a pretty good school....almost a year long....learned a lot. Too bad I have a pretty bad case of hereditary neuropathy......nerves scream and burn when under too much stress. I really wanted to make a career of it.....but it was too painful.

If you want to get really good at working on cars, I would concentrate at least half the time on electricity/electronics. Being very good at reading schematics, understanding how circuits work, using pc based scan tools, digital storage oscilliscopes, electricity/electronic troubleshooting, logic troubleshooting methods, scopemeters, working with computer interfaces............all these are very important. The future of cars is going to be more and more based on electronics......more and more complicated systems.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:28 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
I don't own a car right now, but expect to use further knowledge gained to be a little more independent when it comes to making sure my potential next vehicle stays running without any issues. Since I now know what everyone means by "look at the FSM" it doesn't sound so difficult after all.

As far as this mantra about "wasting time" goes, all I have is work and sleep in my life at this point.
Not trying to take this off track, but vocational ed in this realm is all about keeping my life occupied. Some people have relationships, people like me try to go for things more worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive