Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 PM

470 posts, read 1,277,945 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating from Atlanta, GA to cleveland, OH. I will be commuting (flying) back and forth btwn cleveland and atlanta. Basically spending the work week in atlanta and weekends in cleveland. for that reason i would like to keep my car in atlanta (staying with a buddy). How do I do that insurance wise and registration wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 02:36 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
My family and I are relocating from Atlanta, GA to cleveland, OH. I will be commuting (flying) back and forth btwn cleveland and atlanta. Basically spending the work week in atlanta and weekends in cleveland. for that reason i would like to keep my car in atlanta (staying with a buddy). How do I do that insurance wise and registration wise?
Get a P.O box for mailing address, then tell the ins company where the car is "garaged"

Old 10-01-2012, 02:41 PM

470 posts, read 1,277,945 times
or can I just give the address of my buddy's house of where I will be staying when I am in atlanta?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:45 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,911,453 times
blakeas,
You would keep your car in GA and change the address to where your buddy is.
Will you be staying with him when in GA? Use the address where you will keep
the car in GA. Keep it registered in GA.
You can also have a car registered and insured in Ohio. There is nothing wrong with
this. This happens all the time.
I have a car in PA, it is registered there, insured there, I do not drive it at all,
my son does.
They told me in PA I am not alowed to drive the car at all there. They
stated since I have a South Caroina drivers license I am not allowed to dirve my
car in PA if it is registered there.
Go Figure.
I don't drive it, I insure it, it is in my name, I don't live in PA.
I guess too many NJ drivers have been using PA for cheaper insurance
for the car, so now they enacted that strange law.
The ironic thing is the car insurance in SC is soooo much lower than in PA,
you would think they would have an exception to the rule, but no.
LOL!
Mabey some day my son will move down here with me and I can finally register it
here where I live.
Call your insurance agent to set it up.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Check on legal (ownership / insurance) issues, as well as registration costs. Most states have a provision for keeping a car licensed Out of state (many 'snowbirds do this'). You can get emission exemptions... while it is out of state. Some states require you ONLY can pick up tabs WITH a state issued DL. Some states will renew online and send your tabs to another state. (or via your forwarded mail). Most of my cars live at 'boarding school'), somewhere other than Home.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
This is a question best addressed to your insurance agent.

I have been paying my Allstate auto insurance online for near 10 years now.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
If you change your driver's license, you also have to change your plates. You can't drive a GA-plated car registered in the same name that is on your OH drivers license. The first time you get stopped, you'll be ticketed for that.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times
1 call the DmV in each state.
2.call your INS agent

Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,161,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
This is a question best addressed to your insurance agent.

I have been paying my Allstate auto insurance online for near 10 years now.
Agreed, always check with your insurance company. You don't want to get into a situation where the insurance company thinks you are committing fraud and when you need to file a claim, they deny you on that basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive