Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times

Advertisements

Sometimes, you don't know you're in the wrong lane until the last minute. Here's an example. Traffic was backed up for miles and I didn't know you had to be in the 2nd lane from the right to get onto the freeway (and held up traffic to get into that lane as soon as I saw the sign.)

Or ramps like these
where you have to be in a particular lane for a particular destination and you don't know until the last minute.

But yeah, if you hold up traffic knowingly, you're a jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
I can't stand this either. I absolutely hate people who cut others off knowingly. I have done it before on accident a few times when the flow of traffic just sneaks up on me, but I pull to my correct lane ASAP. Then I see at least 50 cars pass me and pull over in front of me. Some of the people go as far as riding the shoulder to get even further up, ignoring the lines completely. I deal with this 2 times a day on my commute.

Once Here
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=chica...09.69,,0,10.05

Once Here
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=chica...190.94,,0,7.54

Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
All the time at one local junction, exactly this problem.

I think it's a cross between stupidity (let's see here...do I want to go to Los Angeles, or do I want to go to Albuquerque?), and navigation systems that give the final instruction at the last minute. Couple that with people who wait until the last minute to switch lanes, and you've got a problem.

Around here, we have a section of the 10, a major interstate highway that goes across the entire country, which splits off into I-17, which is a 120 mile interstate. This is announced beginning with the initial junction notice on an overhead sign, about 3 miles prior. Then it's announced TWICE on overhead signs the size of highway billboards, with "EXIT ONLY" and arrows pointing down to the specific lanes that will no longer be part of I-10. It is also painted in massive 10 foot high reflective numbers on the pavement, either "10" or "17", depending on the lane. At the first set of "EXIT ONLY" signs, which is about a mile in advance, the affected lanes are striped with double frequency (short stripes twice as often). Then, at the second set of "EXIT ONLY" signs, which is with arrows pointing down to lanes, there is a solid white stripe which indicates that the road is going to split in two directions.

Despite the variety and frequency of these obvious markings, almost every time I go past this junction, some ******* is cruising across the gore area between the 10 and the 17, throwing up dust and old tire chunks

Old 10-03-2012, 02:18 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
Happens all the time getting on 45S from 610S and again after 2351 going south on 45. I don't let anyone over and I drive a POS so hit me if you want with your nice car. You had plenty of time to get over but chose to be like all the other drivers who think the world revolves around you.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
I refused to let someone merge once in NYC. He was just trying to get ahead one car in the EZ pass lane getting onto the GW. My car was nicer than his and he wasnt stopping so I had no choice but to let him in. WHen I let him in he knew that he had won and was pissed that I wouldnt let him over so he stopped his car and waved about 10 cars in front of him. He then proceeded to put down the window and throw his garbage at my car. Lovely city NY is.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
This happens in every city with bad traffic. The best solution I've seen was in Hong Kong. During rush hour, a cop just walks down the line and if anyone is trying to squeeze in after the solid line, the cop makes them keep moving. Going around could mean an extra 30-60 minutes. It's bad enough that people try to go around the cop and squeeze in anyway. That's when the ticket book comes out...

Old 10-04-2012, 12:29 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
This happens in every city with bad traffic. The best solution I've seen was in Hong Kong. During rush hour, a cop just walks down the line and if anyone is trying to squeeze in after the solid line, the cop makes them keep moving. Going around could mean an extra 30-60 minutes. It's bad enough that people try to go around the cop and squeeze in anyway. That's when the ticket book comes out...
AWESOME! Just AWESOME! I would LOVE to see that get done once.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
You're on a multi-lane highway approaching a fork in the road. The lane you're traveling in goes one way, the next lane goes another. Traffic in your lane is flowing freely, while the other lane is basically gridlocked. As you approach the interchange, the person in front of you suddenly slams on their brakes and on goes the turn signal as they come to a complete stop in the middle of the highway. So now everyone is stopped in a lane of traffic that would otherwise be moving freely because this one person wasn't paying attention and now finds themselves in the wrong lane at a fork in the road. Does this irritate anyone else as much as me?

I'll give you an example of where this happens to me all the time...

Google Maps

Anyone who regularly travels this road knows that the left two lanes at this fork are usually gridlocked at peak travel times, however often time the right two lanes will usually be moving somewhat freely, unless its like the middle of rush hour. Usually when I drive through here, I'm in the center-right lane to get on to the BLVD NB. Pretty much every time i drive here, there will be one or more people in the center-right lane stopped cold with their left turn signal on waiting for someone to let them in, all the while traffic is now backing up in the center-right lane as well as the two left lanes. Is this not extremely inconsiderate as well as dangerous? If you're traveling in one of the right exit lanes for the BLVD, but you meant to stay on 76, and you can't find an opening because of the gridlocked traffic, can't you just suck it up, get on the BLVD, get off and turn around somewhere, or better yet pull off onto the shoulder between the ramps to the BLVD and the 76 lanes and wait for someone to let you in? Why do people always have to hold up traffic because they're in the wrong lane, because they're not paying attention?
Stuff happens...people around here don't have anger management problems and aggressive driving character flaws. Only big city people do. Someone misses a turn...you let them in. No harm..no foul.
The thing that bugs me is I'm sitting in the right lane which is a go straight or turn right lane BOTH. The guy behind me honks cause I don't turn right on red. He contines to do it. Hey...blow it out your ass pal. I don't want to turn...I am going straight! Usually my middle finger greets them....in due time.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 PM

216 posts, read 448,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
The thing that bugs me is I'm sitting in the right lane which is a go straight or turn right lane BOTH. The guy behind me honks cause I don't turn right on red. He contines to do it. Hey...blow it out your ass pal. I don't want to turn...I am going straight! Usually my middle finger greets them....in due time.
Speaking of the right lane "turn/no turn":
There are lots of intersections here in vancouver where the third lane merges into just two lanes.
I hate when a driver is behind me, goes into the right lane, holding up traffic looking to turn right. Light goes green, and they gun it trying to get back into the second lane, causing me to slam on my brakes! WTF....

Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
You didn't get the optional 'Missle Launcher'?... too bad

StealthRabbit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive