Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,394,602 times

Advertisements

2012-2013 Midsize Sedan Comparison - Chevrolet Malibu, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, and Volkswagen Passat - Motor Trend

Some surprising results. The new Malibu went dead last with horrible interior and engine. Camry was also low ranked. Honda Accord didn't finish first, but has the best CVT transmission. Altima has the best fuel economy for non-hybrid model but doesn't have a very good CVT transmission. Though Fusion has the smallest engine, they said it doesn't feel weak or slow and is actually fun to drive. Chevy made a big mistake with the Malibu. They tried to carry over styling cues from the Camaro to a midsize family sedan. It doesn't work. Camaro tail lights and twin tube dash gauges. Looks cheesy on this sedan. They went from a nice looking interior to a few grand cheaper looking interior. The power of the GM 2.5L doesn't show in it's 0-60 & quarter mile time compared to others in this comparison, possibly due to transmission gearing for fuel economy, which was still poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,132,550 times
How can they compare mid sized cars when they leave out a big chunk of the market? Where is the Kia? how about the Hyundia? Even though its a terrible car, what about the Chrysler 200? or the Dodge Avenger?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,140,759 times
I like the Fusion, Accord, and Passat. If I were to buy one, it would probably be an Accord for the perceived reliability and resale value.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,482,638 times
I would buy the Passat or the Accord. I don't know whey they reviewed the Focus turbo since it is not the base engine. Every other car they tested came equipped with the base engine. The article even said they were testing the base engine.

They can knock the Camry all they want but the new ones are everywhere. So, people seem to be buying them. Sort of the same thing with the new Jetta. Automotive writers hate them but they are everywhere.

I agree that there should have been some mention of the Sonota. I really think that is almost the baseline these days. A really good value in a family Sedan.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,826,527 times
...and if you live in snow country, don't forget the Subaru

Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,489,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
How can they compare mid sized cars when they leave out a big chunk of the market? Where is the Kia? how about the Hyundia? Even though its a terrible car, what about the Chrysler 200? or the Dodge Avenger?
I think they took the top selling models in the segment and went with those. The Sonata/Optima and the 200/Avenger are not top sellers. You also have the case where the Sonata/Optima were new in 2011 and there isn't much new to talk about with them. Still, though, I agree that at the very least the Sonata should have been included to round it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
I like the Fusion, Accord, and Passat. If I were to buy one, it would probably be an Accord for the perceived reliability and resale value.
Those are my personal top three in the segment now as well. Personally, I would take the Passat in TDI trim and the Fusion would be my next choice followed by the Accord. The weird thing with this particular comparo though is that they only compared base models, a lot of these cars really shine and differentiate at the top of the line. A decked Fusion or Passat really sets itself apart from a decked Accord.

I don't disagree with the reviewers overall, though like in any review there are flaws and things that leave you scratching your head. I've driven the new Malibu and the new Camry and personally I would have flipped their ranks. Some of the things they criticized in the Malibu like the seat space are things that they have previously claimed to be great in the identical Regal. I have yet to drive a new Altima, but it seems to be getting solid reviews, so my list would have been...

1. Passat
2. Fusion
3. Accord
4. Altima
5. Malibu
6. Camry

I'd probably slot the Sonata/Optima around where the Altima is at, so above Malibu, below Accord. Not having driven the Altima I'm not sure how those would flesh out. The 200 is definitely in last place.

PS Just to build on what sailordave was saying, I'm not a big fan of the "Camaro tail" on the new Malibu and the interior is a step back as well. The previous generation (which I own) had a well done interior that was the kind that didn't look "dated" after a couple of years on the market. The previous models rear wasn't that great either, but I think it was better then this. It's almost like GM had real designers work on the front half of the car and then farmed the rear out to a day dreaming kid in middle school.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,132,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think they took the top selling models in the segment and went with those. The Sonata/Optima and the 200/Avenger are not top sellers. You also have the case where the Sonata/Optima were new in 2011 and there isn't much new to talk about with them. Still, though, I agree that at the very least the Sonata should have been included to round it out.

Yearly sales to date(not including September sales):

Camry: 280,536
Accord: 218,665
Altima: 209,592
Fusion: 181,865
Malibu: 168,277
Sonata: 158,014
Optima: 100,424
200: 90,386
Passat: 74,162
Avenger: 66,023

So the best car on their list is the 9th best seller?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 AM

26,680 posts, read 41,533,415 times
I'm really suprised about the Passat. It is not a car I would have considered buying myself, mainly because I hear VW's are expensive to maintain. However, the review is really an eye-opener. I have a friend who owns a new Passat and really likes it. I'm not shocked that the Camry placed lower. Toyota has been living off of its reputation for years. Honda's new Accord is a surprise. I still think the car is extremely boring now (I say that as a 08 Accord owner.)

Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,489,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Yearly sales to date(not including September sales):

Camry: 280,536
Accord: 218,665
Altima: 209,592
Fusion: 181,865
Malibu: 168,277
Sonata: 158,014
Optima: 100,424
200: 90,386
Passat: 74,162
Avenger: 66,023

So the best car on their list is the 9th best seller?
I don't know, but that seemed to be the logic they presented in the opening of the article. Maybe the Passat was added because it won their last couple of comparos even though the sales haven't been the same? I do agree though that a better comparison would have added at least the Sonata.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,394,602 times
Weren't all of those tested new within the past year? Perhaps that's why other models were excluded. Models like the Mazda 6, Subaru Legacy, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, Dodge Avenger, and Chrysler 200 (I think those last two would finish second to last and last among this group).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive