U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:49 AM

10,778 posts, read 14,979,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
S2000... Or, best not worst =D

Probably the Accord. It wasn't really anything great... it's more most of my other cars have a had horrible sound systems. S2000, 1g Eclipse, 91 Passat... all were all kinds of bad. The Mazda3 doesn't have a bad sound system, but it's nothing to write about either.
Oh god, the S2000's stock audio system - especially on the 00-01 models, before they added the door tweeters - were IMHO some of the absolute worst factory stereos in a modern car. Two 6.5" paper cone speakers and... ...uh, nothing else

Coming from my previous car, which was a Jetta with the Monsoon audio system, there was just no excuse at all. With the factory head unit, I blew out the passenger's speaker after a couple months and replaced them with Infiniti Kappa Reference speakers; after another couple years, I took those out and now have a set of JBL's that offer a wider spectrum of sound... lower bass, higher highs, great mids. I still have the factory head unit, though it's now 13 years old and skips too much; I just haven't gotten around to replacing it.

In any case, yeah: that Jetta had an excellent stereo system. Speakers were made by Clarion and were branded as such if you had the door panels off. Four 6.5's and four tweeters, handled heavy bass but still picked up nuances no problem. Loved that sound system; never felt compelled to upgrade it at all...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 12:30 PM

3,382 posts, read 7,833,250 times
Hit or miss on this...

But 6 speaker Monsoon sound system in an 2000 Camaro I had. It was a great balanced system, very clear and good.

Now my only complaint... I was younger and dumber, and blasted it to death, door speakers were known to blow, and it was a uncommon entire 2 ohm speaker setup, so replacements were kind of easy. I just bought used door speakers and threw them in. I blew a few others.

It was a good amplified system, very well balanced.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:28 PM

245 posts, read 504,958 times
Nakamichi premium sound system in my Lexus SC400. Modest power and very well balanced. Helped by the quietness of the cabin.

Having the CD changer in the trunk was a pain though.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 AM

3,402 posts, read 7,925,288 times
My 85 firebird had a decent system in it when it was new...the "performance" sound included an amplifier and sub in the sail panels. The system died when the factory head unit took a dump, and would no longer work with the aftermarket head units.

My folks 97 Camry with the upgraded audio system hit pretty hard for a stock system. The sub would give great bass, and the tweeters could deliver on the higher stuff...I was a fan.

The fender system in my 12' Volkswagen is ok. It has a factory sub in the trunk, hooked to the rear decklid, along with tweeters at the A-pillars, and upper door in the rear, with mids in the lower portion of each doors, it's not a bad system but the sub can be overloaded fairly easily. And I don't know if there's an amp included in the system or not, need to look under the seat and check...I'd imagine so, since the previous "premium" system had it there...but we'll see.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 AM

18,166 posts, read 37,153,488 times
Recently rented a '12 Camry with the new Entune touch screen system, don't know what type of speakers it had but the sound was nice and rich, I actually had to turn the bass down some.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:31 PM

8,360 posts, read 28,774,547 times
Out of all the base to mid-level rental cars & test drives I've taken, cars I'm intimately familiar with etc, typically the Dodge/Chrysler stereos have sounded the best by a longshot over the past 10 years.

On the other hand GM stereos always leave a lot to be desired.

The rest fall somewhere in the middle to my ears.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 PM

9,745 posts, read 15,422,444 times
I think the only vehicle I've ever owned that had the factory stereo was my 1999 Dodge Ram (which wasn't bad but was absolutely nothing special). Every other car I've had either came with no stereo at all or had some awful mish-mash of low end aftermarket stuff. I replaced all of them, either because they didn't have a CD player, because there was no stereo at all, or because the crappy old paper speakers had long since disintegrated. With the Ram I replaced the head unit but left the original speakers, which were fine if not exactly impressive.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 AM

38,704 posts, read 95,352,247 times
Never had a factory system that wasn't woeful, even those with Premium "Blose" factory systems that actually sounded pretty good lower volumes but sounded like hell when the car was at speed and you turned up the stereo to overcome wind noise.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:52 AM

556 posts, read 1,109,397 times
I've owned a 2005 Pontiac GTO, 2009 Pontiac G8 GT and now a 2008 Corvette...

None are known for having great audio systems. I'd say after reversing the wires of the stock subs in the G8 it was the best I've had (it was found the stock rear subs were out of phase from the factory). The corvette has the optional "premium Bose" sound system, it sounds.... Ok. It gets pretty loud for when the roof is off at highway speeds.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:17 AM

3,936 posts, read 9,916,776 times
i'd have to say the best stock piece we've had so far is the shaker system in our '11 Mustang. Even going down the hiway with the top down it has good overall sound.... good enough that it's not worth it to us to upgrade this one
And add one more tally in the "crappy stock" category for the s2k's....... i think the AM radios in my old chevy's with one dash speaker sounded better lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive