U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM

3,313 posts, read 5,902,335 times

Advertisements

I am having a discussion on my car forum about the best stock audio you have ever heard in a car you owned. Lets hear your nominations.

Mine is the 94 Accord EX with a 6 Speaker Bose sound system. I would roll up to places and people would ask me what kind of subs I had. I would tell them Two 6X9's.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:51 AM

7,780 posts, read 20,071,645 times
my 07 Mustang GT with the shaker 500 w system. Its excellent for a factory system.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 AM

5,996 posts, read 16,362,881 times
I'd say BOSE is possibly the worst thing ever to happen to car audio. I've had a few cars with a factory BOSE system and I tore it all out and replaced with decent speakers and amps. Too many people measure factory sound systems by how boomy the bass is which is a pretty poor way to gauge sound quality. I think the old saying was, no highs no lows....must be BOSE.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 AM

29,487 posts, read 71,233,868 times
I have had several musicians comment on the quality of the sound in my 1995 Z28 (Bose System) No subwoofer, but we were listeneing to classical or in one case jazz, not artillery. They system was designed specifically for the car and I think speaker placement has a lot to do with the overal acoutic quality. A system that sounds absolutely marvelous in a shwo room and has phenominal specifcations may sound terrible in a car. Or it may sound reat in one car and terrible in another. In some cars, acustical engineers actually participate it he design process to develop quality sound and then after market sytems regaardless of quality ar enot going to sound as good as the system specifically designed for hte car (or where the car is desin modified for the specific system).

I think it also depends on whaty your are looking for. Clarity and precision, or boomy base, or simple volume? My car is worthless to park at a beach and let everyone hear your music, however indside the car with the windows closed, it has execellent sound. Most custom sound systems I have heard are ill suited to the car they are placed in. It is not a quality system if parts of the car are vibrating and rattling, or if the sound is bouncing off hard surfaces and rattling around inside the car. The system should be designed to work with, not against the car. A car is a poor listening environment anyway and non-engineer system is almost always going to end up sounding terrible.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM

22,279 posts, read 20,090,208 times
Our Chevy has a Delco AM/ FM CD player 4 speakers which is an upgrade. It really brings in the AM talk radio stations. I think reception is probably the most important feature of a car stereo. Satellite radio must be nice but I only ever see the need on those odd days when I'm upstate and you start getting nothing but oldies, country or the christian radio financial programs.
Our next car is not going to have MP3 or bluetooth or satellite unless its a free upgrade. I rarely even use the CD player.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,697,259 times
The Quadrasonic 8 track in my 79 Lincoln. Remember I have nothing newer (well except for the 88 Taurus). The stock AM in my 79 Thunderbird had great reception also.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,735,907 times
RDX's ELS surround sound system (DVD-A). It is a waste on me though, as I listen to AM radio.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM

14,781 posts, read 39,724,456 times
The "Shaker" system (I think they still called it Shaker then) I had in my 1998 Mustang was pretty good. It was loud and clear, but not as 'nuanced' as other systems.

The best overall was the BOSE system in my 2004 Audi A6. I know a lot of audiophiles don't like the BOSE car systems, but they seemed to get it right in that Audi. We also had a BOSE system in my wife's Avalanche LTZ and that was...meh, at best.

The one I was most surprised by recently was the optional system in the Hyundai Veloster. There were a couple of kids sitting in one that was parked next to my car. They had the system up LOUD and it sounded really good. I had to ask the owner and he said it came with the car and even he was impressed with it.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM

3,313 posts, read 5,902,335 times
I know a lot of audiophiles who say Bose is overpriced and overhyped, but that system was SWEET. If I ever find another car with similar sound that is OEM, I will be a very happy camper. There was 0 distortion or rattling at high volumes, the bass hit hard and highs weren't tinny. It definitely was A LOT better than 99% of OEM sounds systems that I have ever heard.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:45 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,290,799 times
I've owned a few cars over the years. Worst is the Bose in my '03 Z06. Best is the Pioneer in my '08 Scion tC. I also have a '08 Camry base model that has a pretty good sound system. I've also owned: '94 Camry XLE V6, sound system was decent; '03 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, sound system was also decent.

I'm not a fan of Bose systems in cars but their headphones are really nice, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive