Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you let someone into your lane?
No, keep 'em behind 4 4.00%
Yes, let 'em in 73 73.00%
Doesn't matter 6 6.00%
Other (explain) 18 18.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:10 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I will if they seem to know what they're doing. If they've slowed down to 30 on a highway to change lanes, or are merging from an onramp but going 30 with the brakes on, and now want to swerve in front of me, it's not gonna happen.
^^^^ This. Basically, if you're being polite and safe about it, I'm happy to let you in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Yes UNLESS there is traffic on the off ramp and they are trying to skip everyone by going to the front of the line and try getting in.
Oh yeah, and this too.

People just love that trick around here, and I get very stubborn when they try it... sorry dude/tte, wait in line like the rest of us! I mean, what makes them so darned special?

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-05-2012 at 04:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
If someone waited until the last second to exit off a busy ramp and decide to cut in front of everyone else, I approve, but this does not work with lane ending. You should be more concern on your own action in blocking a lane that has not ended yet as well as the lane you are in.
What about when the lane is just starting, and they try to sneak around you before it officially begins? People here do that one too, and it really ticks me off!

Kind of a tangent, but I have to share this story: Recently I was on the freeway (light traffic) going around 75mph in the left lane, when I saw a truck barreling towards me @ around 85-90mph from behind. Before I even had a chance to "step aside," he weaved around from the right, which I happily allowed by slowing down slightly. The next car ahead was going even more slowly, and since the right lane was then occupied, he went onto the freakin' SHOULDER to pass him! I've also seen a driver (truck again) do this on the bridge, which is so dangerous I was expecting him to crash & burn.

Mind you, I'm no granny driver... but stunts like that go beyond "aggressive/impatient" driving, and we're lucky if they don't kill anyone else in the process.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
I always let everybody in and it really makes me angry when people don't let me in. I don't drive on expressways though, I am talking about street traffic. Maybe this is a bad attitude but it really irks me to go out of my way to let someone in and they don't signal a thank you, lol

Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
I'm talking about a 2 lane situation, where either the left or right lane is blocked off for construction or maintenance purposes. Everybody is merging into the available lane, and you'll always get some doofus that will speed past you, trying to beat 50+ vehicles.
In that instance, I'll definitely move over and block the lane.
What's he gonna do, hit me? Oh well, his fault.
If you're straddling two lanes to block them, then it will be your fault if there is a collision.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Personally I take this approach..
If I see someone trying to merge into my lane I will slow down without hitting my brakes.. if they get in, great, if not .. oh well. IF I have to apply my brakes to allow them in, I typically will not but If I don't then I don't see the harm..

That is my typical approach but every situation is a bit different.. during major traffic jams or accidents, I will let a car in without hesitation.. and obviously if someone cuts me off an I have to brake that aggravates me but not to the point of rage..

Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
There is no one behind me but you.
Then a 1/4 mile before the exit you decide to drive in the other lane and try to pass me but here comes the exit.
You now turn on your blinker and crowed me as I get into the exit lane,
You speed up and getting your passenger door next to my front bumper crowding me some more.
I don't slow down.

You get pissed and flip me off because you missed your exit.

Hey buddy, it's called the brake peddle, your car has one to.
It's your responsibility to make sure there is room for you, not mine to slow down for you and make room for you.

Last edited by snofarmer; 10-05-2012 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Yes UNLESS there is traffic on the off ramp and they are trying to skip everyone by going to the front of the line and try getting in.
I feel the same way too. I let people in because I know I would want people to let me in as well. Sometimes I have to be a little more aggressive than I generally am because people can be so..You get the point.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:10 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Yup, and I also stop for people waiting/trying to cross the street.

Last edited by tickyul; 10-06-2012 at 12:47 AM..

Old 10-06-2012, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I always let everybody in and it really makes me angry when people don't let me in. I don't drive on expressways though, I am talking about street traffic. Maybe this is a bad attitude but it really irks me to go out of my way to let someone in and they don't signal a thank you, lol
You must live in a small town, LOL.

I've mostly lived in big cities or their nearby suburbs, so I had some trouble adjusting to the polite drivers in Oregon (where I went to college). I would literally get suspicious when people waved me in, like "are they planning to rear-end me??"

Old 10-06-2012, 03:02 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Unless they are one of those that wait until the last second to get over in a "lane-ends" situation, YES, I let them over, quicker if they are using their turn signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive