Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 PM

11,154 posts, read 29,153,500 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of Ording them from Tire Rack they are not a bad price and it is about time to do the shocks anyway.

Now I delt with Koni adjustable Shocks before and know wjhat to expect but the springs are where I wonder should I go for the deal on the H&R or anyone have a better Perforamance Spring they have used and that would match the Shocks since I am looking for springs that even though the ride is going to be set alot stiffer then it should be on the shock I just wonder the spring can take the daily pounding of Our wonderful cracked and pot hole filled Roads without having to but a set of 4 every 6 months

I am looking to go with a stiff long performace spring with with a Ride Height Lowering Avg Low 1.6"F 1.4"R so no extreme drops since I get snow and Rain and take the abuse of driving on some bad roads and not a nice track so iIneed a balance super stiff and yet a enough give to stand up to daily driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:31 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,893,215 times
It's tough to get that kind of balance. My car is riding on the factory track tuned shocks (and 19's) along with Eibach springs and I freely admit that while it handles very well and without any discernible body roll, the ride would be unbearable for many people if you live in an area with bad roads. It's generally fine in most places here in the San Francisco peninsula but as soon as you get into the city with its many pot holes and broken pavement it gets to be pretty awful.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
It's tough to get that kind of balance. My car is riding on the factory track tuned shocks (and 19's) along with Eibach springs and I freely admit that while it handles very well and without any discernible body roll, the ride would be unbearable for many people if you live in an area with bad roads. It's generally fine in most places here in the San Francisco peninsula but as soon as you get into the city with its many pot holes and broken pavement it gets to be pretty awful.
Yeah spent some time looking and so far they all up diffrent springs from Blissten, B&G, Eibach, Boge, Edelbrock, Hellwig, H&R, and Neuspeed and Tire Rack has a good deal on the H&R's and would but them right now if there is not that much difference in interms of overalll Build Quailty, performance and lifespan but it can wait a day or two to get some more feedback and do some more Research.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:54 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,194,410 times
H&R and Konis is a great combo. I used it on my BMW and so have a number of my friends.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:39 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,116,471 times
I had Koni Yellows and H&R Race Springs on my 02 Focus back in the day. Looked and handled GREAT, but the ride was not for the weak of spine. Probably would've been OK with the Sport springs, though.

Mike

Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 PM

Well I decided to go to over to Summit Racing and go with the Eibach Pro System Plus Front and Rear Lowering Springs and Anti-Roll Bars and with KONI Yellow Adjustable Shocks

Thanks for the Help

Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,116,471 times
Is this for your GTO? You have a 04-06, right? Did you look into Pedders?

Mike

Old 10-05-2012, 06:46 PM

17,113 posts, read 56,739,074 times
Just for reference I have a set of regular Konis and stock springs on the Scirocco, the Konis are set on 2 out of 5 turns for rebound stiffness - this is a fairly firm riding setup. My impression of the Koni sport/short spring setup (and you need to do both or do neither, stock springs won't work well with Sports, for example) - is that it's OK if you stick to very smooth roads, or mostly drive the car on track.

For my applications, they would be too firm.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:16 PM

9,782 posts, read 11,438,177 times
Koni shocks with ground control coil-overs is one of the best combos.

Call for prices on M3
wekfest.com

Old 10-06-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Just for reference I have a set of regular Konis and stock springs on the Scirocco, the Konis are set on 2 out of 5 turns for rebound stiffness - this is a fairly firm riding setup. My impression of the Koni sport/short spring setup (and you need to do both or do neither, stock springs won't work well with Sports, for example) - is that it's OK if you stick to very smooth roads, or mostly drive the car on track.

For my applications, they would be too firm.
Not worried about the Ride bring stiff just worried about the OEM weak chsis and not Reinforcing the frame and chasis and metal fatigue is a real concern to the point that I wonder if should I also add some Full Length, Weld in, Tubular, 3-point Sub Frame Connectors and spend the cash on the Tubular K memeber and A-Arms since it is one of those thig that the shop will jhvae easy accesss to and would be cheaper to do it all at once.

The K memeber itself is going to be one expensive upgrade and the cost of having it done is going just as high.

Amnd having a shop that knows how to do it Right because this is beyond my DIY backyard tinkering and skill level.
I mean have to take to one of the few places that do custom made to your specs frame and custom Roll Cages that is NHRA certified and approved speed shop.

I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive