Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:51 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times

Advertisements

I would have left a note. I've also been a victim of something similar OP, and those things are enraging. I mean I was seriously fuming! What made me so mad was not so much the damage itself, it was that there are morons out there with such blatant disrespect for anyone else but themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Another note about Integrity. This is a civil property-damage litigation we are talking about. If you ever get into divorce court, one lesson that will hit you real hard between the eyes is that the person with integrity, who tried to be honest and play fair, will lose everything. Everything. When this property damage goes into the judicial process (which it will), the very last thing you will want on your side is Integrity. You will be blindsided and completely wiped out.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Leaving a note is often an admission of guilt, unless it is worded very carefully. Ask a lawyer if it is a good idea. Furthermore, it might have been pre-existing damage, which you did not cause at all.

If you want to do the right thing, contact your insurance company, explain the particulars, and do what they advise you to do. They will have an adjustor determine if it is prior damage.

If you saw somebody drop a penny, and get into a car with Alaska plates and drive away, would you drive to Alaska to give them back their penny? After all, "Integrity has no limit." Yes it does. Supposing you ding the door at 3 AM in a sleazy part of town, and you're almost sure the Merc belongs to a drug kingpin or a mafia don. Does your "integrity" tell you to leave your name and number?
Really? OBVIOUSLY the whole point is admitting guilt. Duh.

Integrity isn't about returning a penny to someone who dropped it. Maybe you need to do some research, then come back and have a non-ridiculous conversation. One without drug kingpins and pennies to Alaska.

OTOH, I think this is all lost on you. You're finding all manner of excuses to not do the right thing, when that is exactly not what integrity is.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Yes I most definitely would have left a note. I just saw yesterday on the internet where Ben Afleck did just that. He accidently knocked someone's mirror off thier car in a parking lot. He left a note on the windshield. My sister would have really appreciated a note, when what happened to you happened to her. Her case was much worse and I couldn't believe it when I saw the damage done to her Camry. It was where she works a Medical bldg in the suburbs of Boston. A smaller parking lot removed really from other traffic areas. When she was going to her car after work she about died. The entire rear end of the car was smashed in so that the truck was pushed in. All the rear lights, bumper were broken and hanging off. She could not drive it and it had to be towed. To this day she does not know if an employee, patient or a big truck hit her car and said nothing. She would have really appreciated a note. Its a small clinic set off by itself so it makes it worse, because she knows most likely someone she sees there did it. So I would always leave a note even if this had not happened to my sister.

In your case though like my sister. As far as the insurance claim goes if you file one. Which you should. The insurance Co would list it as a hit and run type incident. Personally I'm getting so I hate to drive because of all the thoughtless types on the road. Oh I how miss all the transit I had available to me in Europe, even in smaller towns.

I can't imagine someone being so callous as to not have left you a note, but then again thats the world we live in.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I never said pay. I said own up to the circumstance you caused. Integrity has no limit. The single mom should leave a note just as a wealthy doctor should, whether it's a Lambo that was hit, or a 25 y/o beater pickup. That's the point of integrity.
Owe up to it. That is why we are supposed to have insurance - not to protect our belongings, but to cover the belongings of others in the event that we damage them.

If the person doesn't have insurance, they should not be driving.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Really? OBVIOUSLY the whole point is admitting guilt. Duh.

Integrity isn't about returning a penny to someone who dropped it. Maybe you need to do some research, then come back and have a non-ridiculous conversation. One without drug kingpins and pennies to Alaska.

OTOH, I think this is all lost on you. You're finding all manner of excuses to not do the right thing, when that is exactly not what integrity is.
What I said was in response to a poster who said "Integrity has no limits", and you just confirmed my point that it does have limits. and drug kingpins and pennies to Alaska lie beyond even the line that you have drawn defining your own limits.

Phone your insurance agent, and ask him if he recommends that you admit guilt at the scene if you are ever involved in an accident. Do some research, see what he says, and then come back here and join our non-ridiculous conversation. You will discover that OBVIOUSLY the whole point is NOT admitting guilt. Duh. The offending driver did a lot of things wrong, but not admitting guilt was not one of them.

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/c...o-accident.asp
"Be polite, but don't tell anyone the accident was your fault, even if you think it was."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I just saw yesterday on the internet where Ben Afleck did just that. He accidently knocked someone's mirror off thier car in a parking lot. He left a note on the windshield. My sister would have really appreciated a note, when what happened to you happened to her.
I think there is a difference between someone as wealthy as Ben Affleck, and a single mom who is rushing to get her kids to daycare on her way to her second job,which, if she loses, will leave her family without health insurance for the rest of their lives,and she's got the damage to her own car to worry about. Having unimaginable wealth and being below the poverty line puts people in different positions regarding their ability to casually absorb a few hundred dollars of economic consequences arising from an accident. I bet Ben Affleck's car is thoroughly insured, and he wouldn't lose any sleep over his own mirror being knocked off, if things were the other way around. What if the note said "Sorry I bumped your car, but I can't afford insurance and my kids are hungry and we live in my car." Now, it's time for your sister to do a little soul-searching herself, having a note that she "really appreciates". What would Ben Affleck do?

Last edited by jtur88; 10-11-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
What I said was in response to a poster who said "Integrity has no limits", and you just confirmed my point that it does have limits. and drug kingpins and pennies to Alaska lie beyond even the line that you have drawn defining your own limits.

Phone your insurance agent, and ask him if he recommends that you admit guilt at the scene if you are ever involved in an accident. Do some research, see what he says, and then come back here and join our non-ridiculous conversation. You will discover that OBVIOUSLY the whole point is NOT admitting guilt. Duh. The offending driver did a lot of things wrong, but not admitting guilt was not one of them.

What To Do After an Auto Accident
"Be polite, but don't tell anyone the accident was your fault, even if you think it was."

I think there is a difference between someone as wealthy as Ben Affleck, and a single mom who is rushing to get her kids to daycare on her way to her second job,which, if she loses, will leave her family without health insurance for the rest of their lives,and she's got the damage to her own car to worry about. Having unimaginable wealth and being below the poverty line puts people in different positions regarding their ability to casually absorb a few hundred dollars of economic consequences arising from an accident. I bet Ben Affleck's car is thoroughly insured, and he wouldn't lose any sleep over his own mirror being knocked off, if things were the other way around. What if the note said "Sorry I bumped your car, but I can't afford insurance and my kids are hungry and we live in my car." Now, it's time for your sister to do a little soul-searching herself, having a note that she "really appreciates". What would Ben Affleck do?

Is that so. You know I don't what your story is or who you are. Or what you do for a living. I have read this forum and and your comments come across as very disrespectful, to people that have their vehicles damaged. Then are left to fit the bill for damages, plus the hardship that most likely is put on them. Plus they are left with the never ending feeling of ,who would do this to me and not care about what they did. All they had to do is let me know and the insurance would take it up. Or if they didn't have the money, then at least they told me what happened. Just not leave like so what I hope I don't get caught. Would they do the same thing if they hit a person. Yes many would evidently. It happens every day. Its as if you have no concept of right and wrong. So I don't know if you yourself have been in this type of sitation in life, or your consumed with more of a lawyers way of looking at life. Either way when hitting someone's vehicle you make an attempt to let the person know. You don't run away and leave that person stranded like my sister was. Or the damage that was left to the OP's car. Otherwise what does that say about the person that hit the persons vehicle. To me its brings to light the person's character, and is a clear symptom of just what else are they capable of doing. Integrity goes along way and is a very meaningful character trait, that sadly is lacking in much of American society.

So your entitled to your opinion and viewpoints as anyone is. I just don't agree with them. Have a nice day.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 10-11-2012 at 10:13 AM..

Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
Quote:

What To Do After an Auto Accident

you're right, no one should leave notes, or own up to what they do. if someone hits and runs I'm going to assume its a single parent living in their car and know that its my fault for having a clean running car and leaving it in a parking lot. I'm sure it wasn't some self absorbed A-hole. Also, if your poor, the rules of decency don't apply to you, you can cause damage, lie cheat and steal, its OK.

God forbid someone leave a note and admit guilt, when they are guilty.

-Sarcasm off

Old 10-11-2012, 12:05 PM

I don't know about you guys, but if I leave something worth tens of thousands of dollars sitting out unattended in a public place, and somethng happens to it, and if I havent insured against whatever can happen to it, I just buck up and take it without whining about irresponsible people that I already know there are plenty of. If I want to whine about the tens of millions of irresponsible people in this country, I don't have to wait till my car gets dinged to remember that they are a constant hazard to the contentedness and tranquility of my life.

You guys act like you're actually surprised that somebody in this country might ding your car and not leave a note. and that possibility had never occurred to you before. If you don't learn to expect these kinds of things, you're going to be in for a lot of very unhappy surprises.

You're just like the posters in the other threads, who are boiling mad because they want to get in the traffic lane and go 5 mph over the speed limit on cruise control, and they are surprised and indignant that there are some people who don't get out of their way.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:13 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but if I leave something worth tens of thousands of dollars sitting out unattended in a public place, and somethng happens to it, and if I havent insured against whatever can happen to it, I just buck up and take it without whining about irresponsible people that I already know there are plenty of. If I want to whine about the tens of millions of irresponsible people in this country, I don't have to wait till my car gets dinged to remember that they are a constant hazard to the contentedness and tranquility of my life.

You guys act like you're actually surprised that somebody in this country might ding your car and not leave a note. and that possibility had never occurred to you before. If you don't learn to expect these kinds of things, you're going to be in for a lot of very unhappy surprises.
LOL. It seems as if I'm the only one who agree's with you here. They say that driving is a privilage correct? Well insure your investment in case 1 of the hundreds of thousand irresponsible integrity lacking individuals accidently ding your door and choose not to leave a note. It's not rocket science. If you live in a flood prone area you would buy flood insurance for your house correct? Well if you plan on venturing off with your car and plan on parking it in a lot with hundreds of other cars, chances are one day something will happen to it. If you cant deal with this fact, stick to public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive