Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 01:40 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I hope someone paintballs or shoots out the camera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Honestly, I hope someone paintballs or shoots out the camera.
yeah, that'll be even better than speeding, discharging a firearm in a school zone, absolutely brilliant

Old 10-06-2012, 01:46 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
From my experience, if you see a sign that says photo enforced, you should heed the warning. That being said, kids and people should have been taught to look both ways before crossing the road. I understand the need for school zones but speed cameras take too long to be process. By the time someone "learned their lesson" they would have unknowingly gotten several tickets at the same location. That is the problem with speed cameras in general.

The police and the school should also turn their attention to informing children to look both ways before crossing. I look at this comment and take it as the this police could care less about preventing children from getting hit in the first place but rather increase their chance of survival from getting hit.
Again, there are people out there driving that don't know anything about speed limits or honestly think they only matter if you get caught? Really? (This would appear to include you, from your comment above.)

If you habitually speed in a school zone (or anywhere else), and you only won't if you think there's an eye on you, you deserve to get multiple tickets and you shouldn't whine if you get caught several of the times that you chose to speed.

It seems to me that in this situation, knowing that the cameras are there is the only thing that's going to convince some of these people that, yes, the speed limit does apply to them, too.

Putting the onus on the children, while they should be taught to look both ways, of course, rather than the speeders goes beyond the pale.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:26 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
yeah, that'll be even better than speeding, discharging a firearm in a school zone, absolutely brilliant
Hell yeah it is!

Old 10-06-2012, 02:45 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
I know that this thread is about low speed zones, such as around a school...........but I will mention that in the Canadian Province of Ontario, if you are caught driving 30 miles an hour over the speed limit, regardless of what the limit is you are in a huge amount of trouble.

Example. The highway speed limit here is 60 mph, so if you are driving above 90 mph, and you are caught, the car is seized, on the spot, your drivers licence is automatically suspended, for 7 days, and If convicted, the MINIMUM fine is FIVE THOUSAND dollars, and your license is taken away for a year, and the car is CRUSHED. A second offence is a 10,000 dollar fine and a year in jail.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:57 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
The only time I ever drive at the regular speed through a school zone is if the lights switched while i was already IN the zone.

However, why do people have to slow down in school zones? Why should school zones be called "zones" in the first place? If the kids stick to the sidewalks like they're supposed to, why do motorists have to slow down? Just wondering.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
If you're a good enough shot, you wouldn't be discharging in a school zone ;-)

Old 10-06-2012, 03:05 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Again, there are people out there driving that don't know anything about speed limits or honestly think they only matter if you get caught? Really? (This would appear to include you, from your comment above.)

If you habitually speed in a school zone (or anywhere else), and you only won't if you think there's an eye on you, you deserve to get multiple tickets and you shouldn't whine if you get caught several of the times that you chose to speed.

It seems to me that in this situation, knowing that the cameras are there is the only thing that's going to convince some of these people that, yes, the speed limit does apply to them, too.

Putting the onus on the children, while they should be taught to look both ways, of course, rather than the speeders goes beyond the pale.
Most speed limits do not match the road design hence why people "speed" in the first place. I do not see anything wrong with traveling 5-10 over the speed limit and do not consider that speeding. Traveling up to 50 mph in a school zone should be given a ticket but for going 5-10 over? give me a break. School zone is 20 mph and there is a 95% chance of surviving a car collision. Notice the officer do not mention the posted 25 mph along the other stretch of Vine Street and skips to 30 mph being as a 65% chance of survivability. You would think there would be a source of that research where the public can see the data for themselves.

This does not change the fact that speed cameras are flawed as they are outsourced to some private companies and can malfunction. Maryland: Optotraffic Cameras Shown To Be Inaccurate | The Truth About Cars

I only included that children should be taught to look both ways, but did not downplay speeding through school zones.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:55 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
The police and the school should also turn their attention to informing children to look both ways before crossing. I look at this comment and take it as the this police could care less about preventing children from getting hit in the first place but rather increase their chance of survival from getting hit.
Hy Phyxius--

And their failure to educate children properly about crossing a street is indicative of the city's true intent: the camera is a shameless money grab while using "for the children" as an underhanded excuse.

Fact about the matter is, it was always about the money. It is always about the money, and it will always be about the money.

If there was no fine involved (but say, it gave a point on your license instead of paying $ to the city) then 90% of speed cameras would be taken offline tomorrow.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:56 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I know that this thread is about low speed zones, such as around a school...........but I will mention that in the Canadian Province of Ontario, if you are caught driving 30 miles an hour over the speed limit, regardless of what the limit is you are in a huge amount of trouble.

Example. The highway speed limit here is 60 mph, so if you are driving above 90 mph, and you are caught, the car is seized, on the spot, your drivers licence is automatically suspended, for 7 days, and If convicted, the MINIMUM fine is FIVE THOUSAND dollars, and your license is taken away for a year, and the car is CRUSHED. A second offence is a 10,000 dollar fine and a year in jail.

Jim B

Toronto.
I think you're describing a second offense for the convicted part.

I thought the minimum fine was $2000 if convicted with a max of 10. I also thought the officer has the option to impound the car for 7 days, along with your license. I thought the second offense got it crushed and your license taken for a year.

I've also heard it was ruled unconstitutional back in '09.

I could be wrong though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive