Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprc61 View Post
A friend of mine had a Tacoma 2.7 4cyl broke timing chain at 130,000 cost over $3000. I am told that typically a timing chain should last the life of an engine or 4-500,000 miles. there are tell-tale signs when a chain is well worn also.
A well cared for chain can be expected to last around 200,000 miles on a really good day. I would seriously start thinking about changing the chain at about 150,000 miles if the factory recommendations for oil changes have been followed. If they haven't been followed then you can expect less. Generally, when the water pump is changed is usually a good time to change the timing chain.

The reason you do the chain at the same time as the water pump is simple. On most V-8 and V-6 engines and a whole lot of 4 cylinder engines, the water pump and timing chain are on the same side of the engine. It usually requires removing the same parts to get to either the water pump or the timing chain. Since you're already there it makes sense to replace both parts at the same time. You're killing 2 birds with the same stone.

From what I've seen in 54 years is that most well built engines usually start falling apart at about 200,000 miles. Engine oils seals are leaking. The valve stem seals may be leaking leading to a little puff of smoke every time the engine is started. It gets that little putt-putt sound coming out of the exhaust indicating a burned exhaust valve. Major ignition parts are starting to fail. The water pump and timing chain are ready for replacement. The oil pressure just ain't what it used to be. Just generally overall the engine is tired and ready for a rebuild at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
I think GM 2.5s have a timing chain. I'd say the same of Jeep's basic 2.5, as mentioned above. It's also easy to look up if Ford uses a chain instead of a belt on their 2.5s for their Fusions. Since even Accords and Camrys have moved toward chains, I would assume Ford has too.

The important thing to determine is if your timing chain equipped engine is "free-wheeling/non interference" or NOT. If it is "free wheeling/non interference," the failure of the timing chain typically happens within its own "casing" and does not damage the valvetrain, as if the timing chain replacement doesn't already cost enough.

Every engine I've ever owned, either a GM V8 or a GM V6, has had a "free-wheeling/non interference" design. Generally, timing chains were long lived. The only GM engine which used to throw timing chains were the OLD Buick V6s, prior to 1978, where the less dynamically balanced 3 and 3 design used to shudder at idle and roar under throttle. By installing some offsetting journals in the crankshaft, they cured this problem. My Dad owned both "pre and post" GM V6s, and the newer ones he had were much quieter and never required a timing chain replacement.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,462 times
This is something I've been paying attention to while looking for a car. It helps to know what you are getting into. 2002 toyota camry 4 cylinder 2.4L engines have timing chains. The 6 cylinder 3.0L has a belt. Late 90's ford rangers 6 cylinder 3.0L-4.0L have timing chains, 4 cylinder 2.3L have belts. 6 cylinder even in a truck will do good on gas. Even if you get something with a belt like a late 90's camry the engine is non-interference so you won't have to worry about the pistons colliding with the valves. With interference you'll need a rebuild.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:13 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
A well cared for chain can be expected to last around 200,000 miles on a really good day. I would seriously start thinking about changing the chain at about 150,000 miles if the factory recommendations for oil changes have been followed. If they haven't been followed then you can expect less. Generally, when the water pump is changed is usually a good time to change the timing chain.

The reason you do the chain at the same time as the water pump is simple. On most V-8 and V-6 engines and a whole lot of 4 cylinder engines, the water pump and timing chain are on the same side of the engine. It usually requires removing the same parts to get to either the water pump or the timing chain. Since you're already there it makes sense to replace both parts at the same time. You're killing 2 birds with the same stone.

From what I've seen in 54 years is that most well built engines usually start falling apart at about 200,000 miles. Engine oils seals are leaking. The valve stem seals may be leaking leading to a little puff of smoke every time the engine is started. It gets that little putt-putt sound coming out of the exhaust indicating a burned exhaust valve. Major ignition parts are starting to fail. The water pump and timing chain are ready for replacement. The oil pressure just ain't what it used to be. Just generally overall the engine is tired and ready for a rebuild at that point.
I beg to differ. My family was big on Nissans and Datsuns back in the day, and most of their engines are equipped with timing chains. I've seen many a Nissan go 250k+ on the same chain. The water pumps on Nissans typically didn't require removing the timing cover; usually it was just unbolt a motor mount, jack up the engine high enough to reach the pump housing, take off the fan belt, and take out the pump (a couple steps missing). So it would've added more labor to remove the cover and replace the chain. Plus, removing the timing cover(s) usually means unbolting the oil pan, which means either removing the crossmember or part of the exhaust downpipe, since some of the bolts are always blocked by something else.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 17,758 times
Default Best 4 cyl car w-timing chain"

Hello' I think I bought the best car I get about (26 MPG city - 31 or more Hwy using cruise control ) 2010 Honda Civic 4dr base sedan it does have style and its comfortable in side and it has a - (timing chain) You can hate it or love it! I trade my 2007 Chevrolet Silverado crew cab for this economy car and I love it. I will get a classic truck for loading needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I'm looking to buy a 4cyl car that gets good gas mileage but I'm considering total cost of ownership. Not having to replace a timing belt is a savings of about $500 or more but I can't find any good info on what 4 cyl cars have timing chains. I 'm trying to figure out what is the cheapest car overall to own etc, gas,maintenance, insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive