Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 05:25 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Old people love Lexus Cadillac Buick mercury and Oldsmobile.
Old people cars have changed a lot since I was a kid. I remember every old person driving massive American brand sedans. Baby Boomers have much more diverse car tastes in old age. Seems like a good percent gravitate towards quirky vehicles that remind them of VW Beetles they drove as teens.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:34 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Old people love Lexus Cadillac Buick mercury and Oldsmobile.
They love Mercedes, too.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:20 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I own a Tacoma, and Tacoma’s are certainly popular among white people here, but I think I’ve only ever seen one black person driving one.

I don’t think I have ever seen a black person driving a Subaru either.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:11 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
There is another factor influencing recent immigrants; what they dreamed of buying all their lives back home but couldn't afford. So the first chance they get they go for them. Lexus is a luxury brand here but if you have never heard of it, it is not something you yearn for. You go for the Optima that eluded you.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:37 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times
My observations have changed a bit

Blacks guys are pretty much into any tuner or muscle really

Corvettes are not as much of a black man's vehicle as I thought. Is mostly swag/urban white boys who seemed to be fascinated by them if anything hahahaha.

Mexicans/Mestizos are a very interesting bag because those in urban communities will most likely prefer small sports cars and/or a nice hot hatch

But a latino living in a rural area would most likely be driving a Dodge or Toyota pickup or an SUV of some sort

White guys from rural areas obviously love pickups, no question

Unsurprisingly white guys from suburbs and small towns are into Hondas, Porsches? Mitsubishi's, some Pontiac and Saturn models, a few Nissan models and crossovers from any brand.

A vehicle with a very versatile demographic is the Nissan Sentra. On one hand I think of it as a hairdresser and teacher's car, but on another hand plenty of blue collar working men drive the vehicle too.

Middle Easterners and Indians mostly love Toyota, Mitsubishi, Mazda and sprinkle in some Ford.

Jews are a hard one, for sure. I think most of them probably drive minivans or are on public transport really.

As for more observations

-Nissan it seems has one of the more female-friendly selections of sports and performance cars. The 370z I think was designed by an American female if I recall correctly

-Dodge is probably never touched by non-Americans AT ALL. The brand is admired by black and White Americans to the MAX

-Kia also has a very versatile and diverse demographic enviroment. Plenty of blacks and Latinos buy the more deluxe packages of some of their iconic and well-known vehicles such as the Optima, Rio, Soul, while whites and Asians just buy the more basic and cheaper options.

-The only brand I can probably think off with a very strict demographic category are Saturn and Pontiac(Middle class white males from suburbs)

-Minivans as a whole aren't grandma or soccer mom only vehicles anymore. Plenty of college aged dudes buy them hot and fresh nowadays.

-Tesla also has a very varying demographic exposure. Though I mostly seem white females middle and upper class driving them really with the exception of one Hispanic man LOL.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:00 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I work with a lot of first generation immigrants and it's interesting how heavily they favor Toyota, not just over Detroit 3 but over other Japanese companies. Not a single one drives Honda or Mazda, it's 99% Toyota. One Vietnamese co worker in my department has a Rav4 for each of the four people in her family!
New immigrants have to be financially wise to survive.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:06 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
My observations have changed a bit

Blacks guys are pretty much into any tuner or muscle really

Corvettes are not as much of a black man's vehicle as I thought. Is mostly swag/urban white boys who seemed to be fascinated by them if anything hahahaha.

Mexicans/Mestizos are a very interesting bag because those in urban communities will most likely prefer small sports cars and/or a nice hot hatch

But a latino living in a rural area would most likely be driving a Dodge or Toyota pickup or an SUV of some sort

White guys from rural areas obviously love pickups, no question

Unsurprisingly white guys from suburbs and small towns are into Hondas, Porsches? Mitsubishi's, some Pontiac and Saturn models, a few Nissan models and crossovers from any brand.

A vehicle with a very versatile demographic is the Nissan Sentra. On one hand I think of it as a hairdresser and teacher's car, but on another hand plenty of blue collar working men drive the vehicle too.

Middle Easterners and Indians mostly love Toyota, Mitsubishi, Mazda and sprinkle in some Ford.

Jews are a hard one, for sure. I think most of them probably drive minivans or are on public transport really.

As for more observations

-Nissan it seems has one of the more female-friendly selections of sports and performance cars. The 370z I think was designed by an American female if I recall correctly

-Dodge is probably never touched by non-Americans AT ALL. The brand is admired by black and White Americans to the MAX

-Kia also has a very versatile and diverse demographic enviroment. Plenty of blacks and Latinos buy the more deluxe packages of some of their iconic and well-known vehicles such as the Optima, Rio, Soul, while whites and Asians just buy the more basic and cheaper options.

-The only brand I can probably think off with a very strict demographic category are Saturn and Pontiac(Middle class white males from suburbs)

-Minivans as a whole aren't grandma or soccer mom only vehicles anymore. Plenty of college aged dudes buy them hot and fresh nowadays.

-Tesla also has a very varying demographic exposure. Though I mostly seem white females middle and upper class driving them really with the exception of one Hispanic man LOL.
I have owned Saturn, Mazda, Honda and Toyota(Avalon).

I don't find the stereotypes very accurate. Guys like to change brand/model on the next purchase. Toyota Avalon is worth mentioning because the dealer asked me if I was buying the car for my mom.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:05 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I have owned Saturn, Mazda, Honda and Toyota(Avalon).

I don't find the stereotypes very accurate. Guys like to change brand/model on the next purchase. Toyota Avalon is worth mentioning because the dealer asked me if I was buying the car for my mom.
Hahahah well I do think almost all cars and their manufacturers have a demographic change/swing every once in awhile to be fair

Dodge is like the only brand I will never see having their bucket of people of change. IMO the brand is really an American icon for the most part(though the Dodge Challenger I think currently is manufactured in Canada lol)

The Mustang is one vehicle with a very mixed bag of drivers and you could say another with a change in their target audience. Plenty of whites and Asians seem to be driving the older generations, but the newer models always seem to be driven by black and Hispanic males with middle class income I imagine. There's no way lower class dudes could be driving those as the Mustang has kinda raised is value in recent years.

Camaro as well has changed its driver base a bit. Used to be mainly white males who were driving them and has been I guess purchased to the max by black males since the 5th generation return/redesign

Imo I feel like manufacturers tend to capitalize on these demographic changes to avoid less costumer manipulation and just more inclusivity towards different income backgrounds.

Nissan also changes its every driver base every once in awhile. Imo probably the most varying out of all manufacturers. Blacks/Hispanics/Middle Easterners would be driving the 370z/350z, the GT-R and Frontier while whites and Asians(mostly white and Asian females) be driving the rest of the line-up(minus the Quest, the Quest I only seen it be driven by black and white males, the Frontier also can be met with exception as I seen couple of middle class white dudes driving them as well)

Old 07-08-2019, 12:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I can only comment on the immigrants from India, of which we have many now in our city. Most are in Japanese vehicles, the majority Toyota minivans, but also some Toyota, Nissan, and Lexus sedans. There are not enough of any other ethnic group (besides Caucasians) to notice.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:50 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Seems to me like Chrysler tries to market to black folks. Numerous commercials set in Detroit, hip hop/R&B background music, big flashy chrome wheels, etc. Some of their cars look like pimpmobiles right out of the factory.
So, you seem to equate black people with pimps?

Please explain how you logically came to this conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive