Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:45 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times

Advertisements

Do you think it is a good idea to hide a spare key on the outside of your car like under a bumper or under a wheel well in case you lose or misplace a key? Is the increased chance of auto theft too insignificant to worry about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 10:54 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Not too bad of an idea, when I did that it wound up atop the frame in a good place.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:02 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
I bet if it gets stolen with the key, the insurance company isn't going to give you squat, or next to it. Why? Because you effectivly gave the crook the key, and you KNOW they don't want to pay out. If you left your keys in the ignition, do you thing the insurance company would sympatize with you? Nope.

Just keep it in your wallet if you carry one. My wallet actually has two little holders specifically for keys. If you don't carry a wallet, then leave the spare at home, or with someone you trust, who will likely bring it to you if you lose the original.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:07 AM

7,787 posts, read 8,024,746 times
If you lose your wallet you lost you key and address and your car.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Keys are to thick to fit in to a wallet any more as the key also holds a chip and the door unlock lock, start, remotes bonded to the key.

most (the chip) have a anti-theft built into the key-fob,
so a key without the fob will not start the vehicle.

If you do the hide-a key, don't put in in the bumper, wheel-well or in the gas lid these are all to common of hiding places.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:17 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
I suppose. But my Jeep has a kill switch on it anyway....so I could care less.

Quote:
If you lose your wallet you lost you key and address and your car.
Listen, this is the equivlent of hiding your house key under a door mat, or a fake rock. Either keep it with you, or leave it at home or with someone else. Don't leave it with the vehicle.

edit: snofarmer....I didn't think about modern keys. Good point.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
I wouldn't do it... but then, I've only locked myself out of my car once in my life. My sister still locks herself out of her car pretty regularly. Slight potential of someone going around under the car for key versus certainty of locking yourself out of the car at least a few times a year... I'd get the hide-a-key.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I bet if it gets stolen with the key, the insurance company isn't going to give you squat, or next to it. Why? Because you effectivly gave the crook the key, and you KNOW they don't want to pay out. If you left your keys in the ignition, do you thing the insurance company would sympatize with you? Nope.

They will pay regardless, They have to pay or else you can claim bad faith and have a huge law suit on your hands. Unless they can prove fraud, they will pay. Its along the same lines if you leave your windows open while it rains, They will cover all damages, even though its your fault.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I keep a spare key in my wallet but not a main key all i want to do is open the door if i accidentally lock the main keys inside or in the trunk.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Do you think it is a good idea to hide a spare key on the outside of your car like under a bumper or under a wheel well in case you lose or misplace a key? Is the increased chance of auto theft too insignificant to worry about?
bad idea. most thieves are well aware of the most common hiding places, and if you manage to hide the key somewhere new, the thief will take as much time as possible to find your key if they want the car bad enough.

your best bet, have a duplicate key made, and put in on a second key ring that you keep in another pocket. that way if you lose one set of keys, you have a duplicate set with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive