Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you own a pick-up truck?
Yes 15 75.00%
No 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:01 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

I don't own a truck.

News, Pickup for Auto Makers May Not Last.

With gasoline prices hovering near $3 a gallon and the housing market in a slump, large pickup sales should be suffocating.

Instead, a price war among the major players in the sector is boosting sales and market share for gas-thirsty vehicles such as the Toyota Tundra, Chevrolet Silverado and Dodge Ram. The increased truck sales contributed to last month's mixed overall auto-sales report, which offered the industry hope that a months-long sales slide could be coming to an end.

Pickup for Auto Makers May Not Last - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 04:58 AM

843 posts, read 2,746,846 times
My wife owns a fully loaded Tahoe that gets 13-16MPG. It sucks when it's time to fill up but it evens out because of the comforts that come with paying that premium. We do a lot of traveling (her family in NC, my family in OH/WV) and riding in that thing makes it so much more tolerable. It's comfortable. It's quiet (inside). It's spacious, not only for us but also for our daughter in the back seat where it's usually lacking in most models. There's a third row for if/when we've got a half-dozen nephews/nieces down to spend a few weeks during the summer. Rear air means that people in the back won't be suffocating in the heat we get. It's a trade-off.

I've even considered, several times, trading my car in on a truck. I'm a truck kinda guy. I miss having a truck -- I traded my last one in on this car so that there'd be a back seat for my daughter -- and now that she's turning 7 this weekend and is probably old enough to sit up front there's no dire need for me to have a back seat. A lighter bodied truck will get 16-18MPG which is only a few shy of what I'm getting now in my little 2.2L 137hp 4-banger (21MPG).

You're either a truck person or you're not. To those that are, gas prices aren't going to matter. It's a small price to pay to be in what they want. To those that aren't, driving a truck might be an option but it doesn't really matter, so they'll let fuel costs influence their decisions.

If you ask me, I say good. That just means when I actually do get around to searching for another one that they should be priced to sell.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:08 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,390,428 times
Ive always owned a truck or a van. Ive had an Explorer and a Trooper at one point, but you just cant seem to do well in construction, on those jobsites, in a car, lol.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:48 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
Try over $4 a gallon here in Canada. If you need a truck, you need a truck. Maybe fewer soccer moms will be driving Excursions, but for the vast majority of people that require a truck, there isn't really another substitute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive