Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:55 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
Yes, I was just gonna talk about it. It would be a great option, the only thing is financing, are the interest rates much higher on a CPO or not (mind that I've got pretty good, but not great, credit rating)?
i would make finding the car you want the main concern, the financing while obviously a major part of a buying decision can have many options for you. Finance can be available from the manu if it's new or a CPO, thru the dealer F&I dept on whatever lender they offer, and on your own. In fact, i'd suggest spending a few minutes checking online for area banks and credit unions to see what is being offered. You could even get preapproved, so at least you know the best you can do on your own. Then go find the car you want, if the finance offered is better then take it, if not then bring in the check yourself from your lender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
My mom has a Cadillac CTS and I'm in love with it. The ride is so smooth, passenger space is great, and even the trunk is a decent size (for a sedan). Not to mention the interior is beautiful and it handles and accelerates like a dream. She loves it so much she is giving it to my dad soon and getting the CTS coupe (I told her she needs the CTS-V but she refuses )
Yeah - I've also just researched on it - looked at the CPO listings, it's really a marvelous car.

My only real worry about the CTS is: Is it going to be completely remodeled next year, or it will be just a facelift? Mostly because of resale values - I would be keeping the car (either a CTS or else) for about 3 years probably.

And would leasing be a good idea? I looked here in my area, they have some great deals on brand-new ones ($299, $389 with a minimal down payment, both the Sedan and the Coupe)

But I'm still considering the other cars I talked about in the last page of the thread as well.

Last edited by JacobMAX; 10-18-2012 at 12:33 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
i would make finding the car you want the main concern, the financing while obviously a major part of a buying decision can have many options for you. Finance can be available from the manu if it's new or a CPO, thru the dealer F&I dept on whatever lender they offer, and on your own. In fact, i'd suggest spending a few minutes checking online for area banks and credit unions to see what is being offered. You could even get preapproved, so at least you know the best you can do on your own. Then go find the car you want, if the finance offered is better then take it, if not then bring in the check yourself from your lender.
Thanks for the post, it was really helpful. I'm gonna probably talk with my current credit union, as they have really low interest rates (at least on new cars) and the customer service is great. Or if anything happens I'll just do what you said; shop around to get a low rate and see if I can get pre-approved as well.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Go test the 2013 Ford Fusion Sport AWD it is a midsize.... But man what a Bang for the Buck deal on a car that is Part 2012 Mustang GT in performance and a fully loaded Lincoln in terms of Quality on the fit and finish and the amount of Standard and optional Luxury amenities if Offers.

It also happens to be one nice looking car that Stands out from the Rounded off Corners. JellyB bean styled, Un-Inspired Designed Compact-Midsize Cars we see in everyday traffic.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:18 PM

890 posts, read 2,280,012 times
Quote:
Yeah - I've also just researched on it - looked at the CPO listings, it's really a marvelous car.

My only real worry about the CTS is: Is it going to be completely remodeled next year, or it will be just a facelift? Mostly because of resale values - I would be keeping the car (either a CTS or else) for about 3 years probably.

And would leasing be a good idea? I looked here in my area, they have some great deals on brand-new ones ($299, $389 with a minimal down payment, both the Sedan and the Coupe)

But I'm still considering the other cars I talked about in the last page of the thread as well.
I believe it will be redesigned in 2014...looking at the photos online it will be a bit bigger and beefier, but nothing too dramatic. Still looks very much like the current model CTS. Plus Caddy's tend to hold their value better than many other domestics. They have that luxury feel at a reasonable price. I sold a Mazda3 before the redesign several years ago (which was more dramatic than the 2014 CTS redesign), and when I checked values after the new model was released, the value had hardly dropped at all. So it could really go either way, and you won't know for sure until the '14 is out.

I have never understood the appeal of leasing, but if you really want to reduce the risk of value loss after the new model comes out, it could be a good option. If you get a three year lease it will be over 10 grand in payments though...and I doubt the CTS will take that big of a hit in value. If it were me I would just buy.

2014 CTS

Old 10-18-2012, 02:53 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
I believe it will be redesigned in 2014...looking at the photos online it will be a bit bigger and beefier, but nothing too dramatic. Still looks very much like the current model CTS. Plus Caddy's tend to hold their value better than many other domestics. They have that luxury feel at a reasonable price. I sold a Mazda3 before the redesign several years ago (which was more dramatic than the 2014 CTS redesign), and when I checked values after the new model was released, the value had hardly dropped at all. So it could really go either way, and you won't know for sure until the '14 is out.

I have never understood the appeal of leasing, but if you really want to reduce the risk of value loss after the new model comes out, it could be a good option. If you get a three year lease it will be over 10 grand in payments though...and I doubt the CTS will take that big of a hit in value. If it were me I would just buy.

2014 CTS
The 2014 Caddy CTS will be a pretty substantial change from the 2008-2013 CTS. The 2014+ will feature CUE, a better interior, be a LARGER vehicle overall, be more expensive (start in the mid $40K range), and will be more competitive with the Mercedes E-Class and BMW 5 Series on a dollar-to-dollar basis. The 2008-2013 CTS is a great vehicle but the 2014+ will be much better in every department.

The new Cadillac's hold value very well, the CTS is probably the best at holding value of any midsized luxury sedan.

I'm personally thinking about buying a 2014 CTS when it comes out if it meets or exceeds my expectations...which judging from the new ATS and XTS...it will.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 PM

990 posts, read 939,402 times
Quote:
I'm gonna trade my car for a new one in the next months (until December at most). I currently have a Ford Fiesta SES (Hatch - Automatic) as my main car, didn't like it for the most part, reasonable enough overall though, but it was a mistake; selling it is no problem here.

And I'm completely confused and baffled with the number of models available in the approx. $24k-$29k range. I would probably like something which is relatively easy to park, but quick enough to drive in the Highways without any issues, and also spacious enough for the family and stuff. But I do like larger sedans a lot (300 and Charger come to mind) for I don't know what reason .

What I have in mind, mainly, right now, is the new Malibu, new Fusion, new Escape, Subaru Forester and the GMC Terrain as well. I also like a lot the Charger, the Chevy Caprice - new version - but that I would have to buy used - which is mostly no issue - only problem is the low number of units available. Something similar to all those cars cited would be nice options as well and I'd appreciate it.

Sorry if the thread is too long winded , but I really wanna buy something that would be a proper decision so I don't end up in the situation I am now. Thanks a lot for the comprehension, and any advice/opinions/or else would be appreciated very very much!
I take it you only want to buy American, huh? Though the Subaru isn't American, so maybe you're open to other nations. If you're only into NEW American cars, that really limits your choices and I personally would say go after the Fusion. The Volt is a good car too, but a bit pricey.

If you're looking at foreign cars, look at the new Kia and Hyundai...I've been a bit of a car snob most of my life (first cars were a Ford and a Jeep, but since I have had 2 Mercedes, 1 BMW and my current car is an Infiniti), but I think my next car will be either the Kia Optima or the Hyundai Genesis. They really give you a lot more value for the money and have some serious pep for the price. And the Optima is even available in Hybrid models.

Personally, as an invesment advisor, I think buying a new car is a massive waste of money. I buy used cars with about 30,000 miles on them and I can go way above the quality of what I'd get with a new car at the same basic price. I'm a big fan of my current car, the Infiniti G35 (the model is now the G37) and of the Acura TL.

My GF's cousin is an Auto Broker and he found me my current car at a price 25% less than blue book (it was in a random dealership in Arizona, I live in California...it was shipped out to a dealership here for free). I asked him to find me a car over 4 years old but with less than 40,000 miles on it. He found me a 6 year old car with just 31,000 miles on it and I saved a bundle in getting myself a mid-sized entry-level luxury car. PM Me if you want his information, he's AMAZING at finding the exact make, model, color, mileage and price and does all the work himself letting you devote your time to something other than searching for a car.

As for the size, go for a midsize. Gas will only get more expensive (temporary price drops will not last in the long-term) and parking in cities will only get more difficult.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
My short answer is to get one you can afford fuel for. Who says gasoline will never reach 10 bucks a gallon .? Think of this. If a new car loaded down with options cost 10k more than a cheaper model and both have the same engine and transmission which is very often the case the expensive car is going to be WORN OUT JUST AS FAST AS THE CHEAPER ONE... go figure

Old 10-19-2012, 12:24 AM

I appreciate it, but fuel economy isn't a concern in my case - the car won't be driven too many miles per month and I've had an Escape V6 - kind of a gas guzzler - when gas prices were at abeam $5 and I was fine. The way we drive matters as well, sometimes I got very nearly 30mpg in the Escape (and that was in the city).

Last edited by JacobMAX; 10-19-2012 at 01:42 AM..

Old 10-19-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
If you're looking at foreign cars, look at the new Kia and Hyundai...I've been a bit of a car snob most of my life (first cars were a Ford and a Jeep, but since I have had 2 Mercedes, 1 BMW and my current car is an Infiniti), but I think my next car will be either the Kia Optima or the Hyundai Genesis. They really give you a lot more value for the money and have some serious pep for the price. And the Optima is even available in Hybrid models.
Hey there - fellow Gary Johnson voter! And yeah, definitely, the Kia Optima is another choice; I really like its style, the engine line-up and the prices (except the new Limited version...lol) are pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
My GF's cousin is an Auto Broker and he found me my current car at a price 25% less than blue book (it was in a random dealership in Arizona, I live in California...it was shipped out to a dealership here for free). I asked him to find me a car over 4 years old but with less than 40,000 miles on it. He found me a 6 year old car with just 31,000 miles on it and I saved a bundle in getting myself a mid-sized entry-level luxury car. PM Me if you want his information, he's AMAZING at finding the exact make, model, color, mileage and price and does all the work himself letting you devote your time to something other than searching for a car..
Thanks a lot for the offer! But I'm gonna stick to something new, or at least CPO, this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive