Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,307 times

Advertisements

I have 1 and a half year of automotive experience and I graduated Lincoln tech. I will be interviewed by a dealership this week for a C level automotive technician position and I'm coming from another dealership as Entry level technician. I have all the basic services mastered..tire mount/balance.all the fluid exhances(transmission, oil, power steering, brake etc. etc.

I'm a "little" inexperienced when it comes to actual C level work such as suspension component replacement, or replacing motor mounts and welding...I could do it but I would be a little slow in the beginning.

I was thinking of asking for 12$/hr to start.

Advice please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM

17,207 posts, read 57,035,276 times
Do you have the option of asking for a % of what you bill rather than a by-the-hour salary? If you can go that way, the more and better work you do, the more money you make, but the boss is 100% OK with that, because he's making more money off you as well.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Do you have the option of asking for a % of what you bill rather than a by-the-hour salary? If you can go that way, the more and better work you do, the more money you make, but the boss is 100% OK with that, because he's making more money off you as well.
Flat rate? That's possible. There's no way he would overpay me but it would still be a substantial increase in my pay now.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times
Don't ask for anything, take what they offer.

If they ask, tell them what you were making elsewhere and leave it at that.

Once you become experienced and good at your trade, THEN you can tell them what you want to be paid.

Golden Rule: He who has the gold rules!

If they treat you fairly, give you additional training, and pay you a fair wage which you can live on, then stay there. If they are cheap and pay too little with few or no raises, then use them as a stepping stone to get a better job elsewhere after a year or two.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Until you learn much more than just fluid and tire changing you arent in much of a position to ask for any more than what they offer as those abilities you now posses are just basic automotive maintenance procedures that most people know how to perform.
Look at anything over minimum wage as gravy

Last edited by jambo101; 10-24-2012 at 05:05 AM..

Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,602 times
I was getting $10/hour in the Northeast ten years ago as a tire/oil tech with the occasional supervised brake job.

$12 sounds like the minumum I'd think considering inflation, and you're a trade school grad. I tend to avoid giving a number when it comes to pay, and wait for them to give one first. But if forced, maybe $14-15? This could also depend on where you're living...

*note that I haven't worked in a garage in 10 years, lol. Sounds like you need experience more than you need money right now, so anything should work.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Don't ask for anything, take what they offer.

If they ask, tell them what you were making elsewhere and leave it at that.

Once you become experienced and good at your trade, THEN you can tell them what you want to be paid.

Golden Rule: He who has the gold rules!

If they treat you fairly, give you additional training, and pay you a fair wage which you can live on, then stay there. If they are cheap and pay too little with few or no raises, then use them as a stepping stone to get a better job elsewhere after a year or two.
Thanks for the input but because I just took anything..I was lowballed...and they made a ton of money off of me but Ithink your right I should see what they offer for my skillset first.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I was getting $10/hour in the Northeast ten years ago as a tire/oil tech with the occasional supervised brake job.

$12 sounds like the minumum I'd think considering inflation, and you're a trade school grad. I tend to avoid giving a number when it comes to pay, and wait for them to give one first. But if forced, maybe $14-15? This could also depend on where you're living...

*note that I haven't worked in a garage in 10 years, lol. Sounds like you need experience more than you need money right now, so anything should work.
To my knowledge it seems like if you don't fimish trade school but u have somme experience they will give u 1 dollar over minimum. If u do finish its 2 dollars. With trade school and experience its another dollar. 12 does sound right I do not want to ask for too much because Iknow Iwill not be fast doing heavier work like a power steering hose recall or a valve adjustment . But I do make on average 2000 to 3000 on basic service and upsells . I have basic service mastered and Ican do spark plugs..wheel alignments brakes...I would be a little slow.though. and I'm typing throu7gh my phone . I know my grammer is horrendous.

Last edited by Veyron; 10-24-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Until you learn much more than just fluid and tire changing you arent in much of a position to ask for any more than what they offer as those abilities you now posses are just basic automotive maintenance procedures that most people know how to perform.
Look at anything over minimum wage as gravy
I already know how to do nearly all c level tech work but I won't be fast at it initially.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,199,846 times
Once you can do the repairs within the time set by the flat rate manual you need to get paid much more than 12/15 bucks an hour if there is plenty of work. Dont let them lock you in to a set rate that will require you to ask for every nickel increase you get. You are not a rookie trainee and they want to see what you can do before they will lock you in to a per hour pay system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive